Crusader Cup Lids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Ok did a test, tried getting the water to a rolling boil with the metal lid, BCB lid and no lid with a Colemans Micro Stove, here are the results:

No Lid
Time: 7 minutes. Pro's: Easy to see progress. Con's: Slow, contents not covered (can lead to contamination).

BCB Lid
Time: 6 minutes. Pro's Easy to see progress. Con's: Lid a nightmare to remove (I had to use a spoon to lever it off and even then it fell into the boiling water. However a liquid could be poured without removing the lid), cannot be used on a fire as it would melt.

Metal Lid
Time: 5 minutes. Pro's Fast, Lid easy to remove. Con's: Can't see progress (but you can hear when it's boiling as the lid starts ratterling).

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
cool nice to see a comparison :) could every one whos sending me a payment please put there forum name with it to as it gets confusing trying to work out whos paid.

cheers russ

PS it would be good to have pictures of them getting put through there paces

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As some of you know, I'm not a lover of the crusader mug, but this lid has improved its boil times to the point where I will now allow a crusader to sit above one of my beloved stoves;)

Don't however any of you think I am going soft and will start liking the Swedish Military meths cookset, that won't ever happen:sad6:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
if every one on the list can pm me there adress please :rolleyes: there all finnished its been a long day :D ill get them in the post on Tuesday
I might just have a couple going spare :eek:

cheers Russ

Did you end up having any spare? If not are you going to be making any more in the future ......? :D

Just got home tonight (working away this week) to find the capped crusader waiting for me.

First impressions? Beautifully conceived and executed - it fits the cup perfectly and the fold flat handle means it also fits in the PLCE pouch.

I'll keep you posted with some burn trials Russ but, for now, it's my best value for money gear purchase and I urge you to pursue some commercial reward for what is a fabulous idea!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
PS it would be good to have pictures of them getting put through there paces

Not a very glamorous location, but here's mine being used for the first time down the bottom of the garden. Much easier to use than the BCB plastic one - though that one served me well in its time.

lid_01.jpg

Geoff

Wigate

Forager
Nov 19, 2006
Hong Kong
Russ,

Many thanks for the great help. I received mine today and I can say my mess kit is complete with this last piece of equipment.

I also converted my Crusder mug to a billy can by wrapping a stainless steel wire below the lip of the mug and putting two loops on either side. Now I can use it either with a handle or by suspending it over a fire. Your lid would still fit into this rig nicely and I dont have to buy a Zebra billy can.

Oliver

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE