Crusader Cup and Hexi Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Whilst reading the review of the crusader mess tin in the Bushcraft mag :D , I read the third paragraph, about the mess tin being more stable than the cup.
Anyway, I suddenly thought 'I have that problem' and set about correcting it.
I thought it might interest some people here so I have posted it with pics.
The cup and stove:
attachment.php

Cut two bits of strongish wire and place them in the spikes of the stoves pot stand:
attachment.php

These wires support the cup well
attachment.php

Also, while I was at it, I decided to use the same wire to make a bail for the cup. As long as bail stays upright, the handles won't swing out.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP1546.JPG
    IMGP1546.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMGP1548.JPG
    IMGP1548.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMGP1549.JPG
    IMGP1549.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMGP1551.JPG
    IMGP1551.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMGP1553.JPG
    IMGP1553.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 135

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I like the bail Ralph, going to give that a go.

I've been contemplating how to fassion a removable bail for a couple of weeks now, so that I can use my crusader with an open fire. I was resigned that it would have to be drilled, but thats given me a fresh line of thought. Thanks.

Maybe the handles could be secured shut with a bit more wire to give it more stability ?? :)

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
If you're careful with it, and the bail stays upright, the arms should not swing out, but it is difficult to control this over a fire when the cup is full. You could try using another bit of wire and make what looks like a smaller version of the bail which fits round the cup to keep the handles in place.
Also, I was contemplating how to make a lid. Short of buying one from the BCB website, does anyone have any ideas? :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
SMOKOE said:
I've been contemplating how to fassion a removable bail for a couple of weeks now, so that I can use my crusader with an open fire. I was resigned that it would have to be drilled, but thats given me a fresh line of thought. Thanks.

You might find my patented crafty crusader cup hanger of interest then... :)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
You can buy a German Esbit stove. that's a smaller hexi stove wich can be folded into 2 positions. when folded in an inward angle of 45 degrees your cup will be stable. in a 90 degree angle your mess tin will be stable. these things come in 2 sizes but the small sized is all you need. besides, it packs much smaller. Here is a photo of the larger sized esbit stove bent in a 45 degree angle with a pan on it. your crusaders mug will be as stable as the pan. However.. your solution to the problem is a nice one. well done :)

aSurFlame%20026.jpg

excuse me for the large image.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Yes, my hexi stove has that facility too but it does not keep the cup stable as the handles of the cup are quite heavy and put it off balance. what have you got in the stove? looks good. :)

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
It's just an internet pic. But is the crusaders cup that heavy? I know its big. It's .75 litres I believe. I use the Dutch mug wich is .5 litres. much smaller, but stable. The crusaders mug is in my oppinion a much better piece of kit, although expensive and big. There are hexi stoves especially made for the crusader. With them you can put your hexi block out by lifting a small rack integrated in the stove and putting your mug on top of the stove. excluding all oxigen. the stove fits right under the mug. But I'm sure you all know this piece of kit, since this is bushcraft UK :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i like that. very cool indeed.

my usual mug is a very old american one. the "L" shape handle makes it easy to clip onto the end of a branch and just stick it in the fire. i think you can still getthem from silverman's. at a silverman price.

mug-on-a-stick.jpg

i have a dinky esbit stove in my possibles pouch for hasty brews when a real fire is less desirable.

wet-kit.jpg

cheers, and.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ralph said:
Yes, my hexi stove has that facility too but it does not keep the cup stable as the handles of the cup are quite heavy and put it off balance. what have you got in the stove? looks good. :)

You do know Ralph that you can turn the hexi stove the other way up so the spiked ends go into the ground and your mug will then be supported by the flat ends of the stove.:)

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
No, I hadn't though of that. I will have to try it tomorrow when I get some meths.
Incidently, my thread called 'cheap stove' is what I think is a good solution to hexi stove fuels, but instead of sand, I would use the stuff that is recommended further down the thread. Shameless plug I know :eek: ;)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
O K here is a easy one to make get a pumice stone. The one on the right are two on edge 1/4 oz. fuel on each no need for pot stand just set pot on them. Now they will fit in a shoe polish can to keep them in till need but lust got to file corners to fit flat in can. The ones on the left are cut in half so a cup will fit on them. i get the e bay like where you can get them stones

here you go
http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMICE-STONE-LO...ryZ31812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
here the one for a cup

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
oops56 said:
O K here is a easy one to make get a pumice stone. The one on the right are two on edge 1/4 oz. fuel on each no need for pot stand just set pot on them. Now they will fit in a shoe polish can to keep them in till need but lust got to file corners to fit flat in can. The ones on the left are cut in half so a cup will fit on them. i get the e bay like where you can get them stones
UHHHHH!!!!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I can get out to get some suitable chain I was thinking of making something to suspend a crusader mug over a heat source.

What I'm intending to try is a loop of chain the mug will sit inside (of a length so that the mug only just doesn't fall through) with three risers coming up from it to a big split ring. I'm hoping that the risers can be aranged to keep the handles held closed, provide stability and that a plug type lid can be used.

Has anybody already tried this and it doesn't work?

It may be a while before I make it up as the youngest broke his collar bone up on Sugar Loaf Mountain at Easter and I'm stuck in with him.

ATB

Tom

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
oops56 said:

here you go
http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMICE-STONE-LO...ryZ31812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
here the one for a cup

Err, so pumice stones just support the pot? I'm baffled. :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE