Crusader Cook System & Green Heat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

Got my crusader cook set through yesterday from Lakeland Bushcraft, and being the impatient sod I am, decided to have a trial biol in my kitchen tonight.

I am very impressed with the unit, build quality and the way it all fits together, it will serve me will, I have no doubt.

It came with 12 Greenheat sachets, but I was surprised to find that one sachet (without burning the packet too) burnt out before it managed a rolling boil. I read a thread the other day where I think it was JonathanD managed a rolling boil outside in wind. He mentions using the "new" green heat, could it be that I got old stuff? I'm a tad surprised that it couldn't manage a rolling boil in the warm wind free kitchen. It did get the water to a hot drink temp though, with bubbles starting to rise.

What are your thoughts peeps?

Rob

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I get a rolling boil outside every day. Sometimes in wind or winter cold it needs a lid, but in the Spring/Summer, I have no worries without unless in strong wind. I cook rats in mine and it boils them for a good three minutes with a lid, outdoors in wind, no probs at all. I do put the packet in though as it increases the efficiency quite a bit.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Looks like not adding the packet could be where I went wrong then. In all I'm very pleased with it. Looking forward to getting out and using it for real.

I think I need to bulk buy in a few more sachets of green heat though, or an alternative. I don't want to go down the meths route with it, that's another bottle to carry as well.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I get my GH from Heinnies, postage free. Three sachets do me for the day, two brews and a meal. The hot water from boiling the meal gets me a third brew while I'm eating. The most I need is four in the Summer, when I have breakfast too. Sometimes in windy winter, you need two sachets to get the water boiling for a while to heat a rat meal through, but for enough water for two cups of coffee, one should do it.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
You can indeed, with the crusader stove you open it and pour it into the fuel pot. It lights from a firesteel spark.

Re my previous post, they are out of stock of the 50 pack, and sell individuals at 30p. Not sure on postage.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice one, I'll take a look at them.

Just found this deal, but not followed through to pay, or looked at delivery, as on the iPhone.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=616

Seems too cheap to me...

That is cheap.

Sorry to jump in but am I right in thinking you can use 1xGH like a hexiblock? As a standalone fuel, as it where?

Yes you can. Although, I've found the GH to be slightly better and much cleaner. Other people have found the esbit/hexi to be more efficient, but dirty.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
haha! Yeah, now I think about it...

*facepalm*

For some odd reason, I've never considered the crusader set as I'd dismissed or forgotten (why I don't know) about synthetic fuels. I think I'll give it a chance. Lurch will be happy

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
JD, can I ask what stove set up you are using, and are there any reflectors or wind shields involved - as I can get anywhere near a good boil from one sachet of gorilla snot?

Ogri the trog

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nothing special, just the basic kit with added lid....

DSC09712.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"I am very impressed with the unit, build quality and the way it all fits together,"

Impressed is not a word often associated with this setup. One sachet is no good try using three or four.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE