Crusader Cook System & Green Heat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Never managed to get a boil from a greenheat sachet on my crusader - even with trying to burn the packet! However, I am regularly getting good boils by using hexi blocks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I went out and experimented to find out why I succeed so well when so many, it seems aren't getting such good results.

I think the secret is the way you place the packet. I fold it into quarters and place it on top of the gel. Onvce burned and blackened it then wicks the gel and lasts twice as long as the gel on its own. I also dropped three or four 5mm thick, match stick long dry twigs on top to see if this would make any difference. It did, amazingly so, the stuff then boiled my rat pack bag and continued on for a further 15 minutes while I ate it and started carving stuff. So that, I think is the secret. You don't want the gel to burn directly, but for the charred material on top to wick the gel at a slower rate. I'm going to try the twig thing again tomorrow.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I get a rolling boil outside every day. Sometimes in wind or winter cold it needs a lid, but in the Spring/Summer, I have no worries without unless in strong wind. I cook rats in mine and it boils them for a good three minutes with a lid, outdoors in wind, no probs at all. I do put the packet in though as it increases the efficiency quite a bit.

Rats ?.....my stomach's churning just at the thought of it.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I went out and experimented to find out why I succeed so well when so many, it seems aren't getting such good results.

I think the secret is the way you place the packet. I fold it into quarters and place it on top of the gel. Onvce burned and blackened it then wicks the gel and lasts twice as long as the gel on its own. I also dropped three or four 5mm thick, match stick long dry twigs on top to see if this would make any difference. It did, amazingly so, the stuff then boiled my rat pack bag and continued on for a further 15 minutes while I ate it and started carving stuff. So that, I think is the secret. You don't want the gel to burn directly, but for the charred material on top to wick the gel at a slower rate. I'm going to try the twig thing again tomorrow.

Got carded by the postie today - I suspect a box of greenheat - I wont be able to pick em up till Monday though. I've been looking at the numbers on this stuff - it doesnt look like a particularly calorie rich fuel. In other words, it seems like the weight to performance ratio isn't as good as some other fuels. It looks to me like the main advantage is convenience - which is admittedly a huge factor.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You bought a case? A whole case? Buying a few sachets can be marked down as an accident...a whole case thought Martyn... you get heat from sucking a polo mint.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
That's exactly why I ordered two boxes yesterday. £10 for 24 sachets. Not too bad a price really. I will at some point order some esbit blocks fir a comparison.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Rik clearly isn't a fan then!

I like it, It's simple, packs up easily enough for my liking. I was after a stove set that was one man, could do a brew and ration packs when out on expeditions and checkpoints etc with my Explorer scouts and this ticks all the boxes. I also have a decent metal mug that I can use on the fireside too.

Stoves etc are like cars in that sense, what one person likes another doesn't.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here's what I do. This will boil your rat pack for a few minutes on a roll and give you a cup of coffee on one sachet.

Fold the pack twice and clip it with a bit of twig to stop it unfolding. Without that, it will, and quickly...

20Aug20115.jpg

Stick it in the centre of the gel...

20Aug20116.jpg

Light, and stick you mug on it...

20Aug20118.jpg

It should reach a rolling boil, and sustain that for at least two or three minutes in this weather, without a lid...

20Aug201114.jpg

The packet will have burned up, and so should all of the gel...

20Aug201118.jpg

Piping hot food and coffee, on one sachet with no lid.

20Aug201119.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Piping hot food and coffee, on one sachet with no lid. ...

That's probably less than 250ml of water, isn't it Jonathan? Maybe others are trying to boil too much water for the amount of fuel that they use?

Must admit I rarely boil less than 500ml. Then I can have a big mug of tea and a little bit over for rinsing things.

Clarification -- I don't use Greenheat, nor anything like it, I usually use a petrol stove for a quick brew and a Ghillie kettle for something more leisurely and to fill my hot water bottle. :)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's probably less than 250ml of water, isn't it Jonathan? Maybe others are trying to boil too much water for the amount of fuel that they use?

Must admit I rarely boil less than 500ml. Then I can have a big mug of tea and a little bit over for rinsing things.

I'd say about 300ml. But bear in mind that it takes much more to heat a solid rat pack too. It's easier to boil 500ml of water than 300ml of water with a rat. I tip away about 75 -100ml to make the coffee. I can't rinse with hot water as I don't carry a second cup. A drop of cold water washes and cleans the coffee residue out with no problem. water efficiency may well be accountable. Practice and familiarity will make this more efficient.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik clearly isn't a fan then!

I like it, It's simple, packs up easily enough for my liking. I was after a stove set that was one man, could do a brew and ration packs when out on expeditions and checkpoints etc with my Explorer scouts and this ticks all the boxes. I also have a decent metal mug that I can use on the fireside too.

Stoves etc are like cars in that sense, what one person likes another doesn't.

Fan? No lol, even one of the chaps who designed it (a member here) has no love of the set up. I like the Crusader mug though, makes a good sized brew, work well on some setups

DSCF3017.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE