Hedgehog stew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hedgehog, of the fungi kind ofcourse :) with a glut of hedgehogs it was time to try them in a stew.

20210930_215934.jpg

First get your onion cut and sweated down. You can quite easily use leeks, spring onion, red onion etc. Then take your sausages out of the skin and pull into little bitesize lumps. When the onions have softened, turn the heat up and brown the sausage meatballs off.

20211001_172806.jpg

Add some chopped veg in. I used potato, green pepper, carrot and cabbage. Potato makes a nice thick texture to the sauce as it dissolves but any veg will work, I've never made this stew the same twice. Add a bit of colour to the veg. I've chucked some baylead and rosemary in at this point.

20211001_172826.jpg

At the same time, get some butter and a little oil melting in a pan, and fry off your hedgehog mushrooms, adding a little garlic as they fry.

20211001_173940.jpg
Next just cover the veg with water and bring up to the boil. I've added a little corn, green beans and peas, but any pulses will do, they add a great texture to the stew. Sling in a chicken stock cube, some black pepper and a dash of mild curry powder, use sparingly you don't want it to taste of curry.

20211001_173433.jpg

When the mushrooms are getting nice and golden you can add the lot to the pan including the butter, and if you want to be super fancy you can deglaze the mushroom pan with some caramel vodka and flambé it and add to the stew (Posh eh?)

20211001_174914.jpg

Cook slowly until the veg is soft, then click the heat up to reduce the sauce until thick, whilst trying not to burn anything. Watch it closely! You can then remove the bayleaf and rosemary stalks and serve.

20211001_180542.jpg20211001_180818.jpg

Give it a go.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looks good. I really liked hedgehogs when I used to find them, one of my favourite shrooms. Sadly not found them down in Devon so far.

We are currently eating home grown shiitakes on everything though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks good. I really liked hedgehogs when I used to find them, one of my favourite shrooms. Sadly not found them down in Devon so far.

Homegrown? How long ( seasons? ) have you been doing that an in what manner - colonised logs or bags of sawdust?

Get much of a crop?

Reactions: Billy-o

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks

Nice, I've thought about giving it a go as I have access to coffee grounds for substrate. Is it easy or a bit of a pain? I've done some beer brewing in the past with good results so if it's anything like that I'd be tempted.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE