country code

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 25, 2013
bicester
Hi this is my first post so couldn't tell you if it it is in the right place or not my apologetics if it is. i did try and hunt around on the site before posting this.

many moons ago when i was in the cadets i was given some paper with the country code written on it. i thought it would be useful to post it on this site as some guidelines when out and about.

The country code

The country code has been written to promote country manners by helping to reduce or prevent the unintentional damage which occur every year, particularly at public holidays. Too many visitors to the country side are unfamiliar with its ways. They forget that a single careless act – a gate left open, a fence or hedge weekend, a dropped cigarette end – can mean a lot of extra work and expense for farmers, forester and other country folk.

The 10 reminders are:-

1. Guard against every risk of fire.
Plantations, woodlands and heaths are highly inflammable. Every year acres burn because of casually dropped matches, cigarette end and pipe ash.

2. Fasten all gates.
Even if you find them open, fasten them behind you. Animals cannot be told to stay where they are put. A gate left open invites them to cross the gate and wonder, a danger to themselves and traffic.

3. Keep dogs under proper control.
Farmers have good reason to regards visiting dogs as pests. In the country a civilised town dog can become a savage. Keep your dog on a lead whenever there is livestock about.

4. keep to the paths.
Especially on farm land. Crops can be ruined by people’s feet. Remember that grass is a valuable crop too, sometimes the only one on the farm. Flattened corn or hay is very difficult to harvest.

5. avoid damaging fences, hedges and walls.
They are expensive items in the farmer’s economy. Repairs are costly and need labour which is scarce. Keep to recognised routes, using gates and stiles.

6. leave no litter .
It can be dangerous. Take it home with you, or dispose of it in the proper place.

7. Safeguard water supplies.
Avoid polluting water in any way. Never interfere with cattle troughs.

8. Protect wildlife, plants and trees.
No carving trees or rocks, or disturbing wild animals. ( i think this one means no Jim <3 Jane sort of thing in on the trees.)

9. Be careful on country roads.
Remember they have blind corner, high bank hedges and low moving farm vehicles. If you are walking, keep to the right.

10. Respect the life of the country.
Set a good example and try to fit in with the life and work of the countryside. In the way those who follow are not regarded as enemies.( I think this means following the rules.)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good post. For no. 3 read "keep your dog on a lead at all times, unless you have positively checked, in the last day, that the land is free of both livestock and game". Irresponsible dog walkers who assume that public footpaths exist to let dogs off the lead need to be re-educated pronto - footpaths are for people - not badly controlled pets.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice reminder

Good post. For no. 3 read "keep your dog on a lead at all times, unless you have positively checked, in the last day, that the land is free of both livestock and game". Irresponsible dog walkers who assume that public footpaths exist to let dogs off the lead need to be re-educated pronto - footpaths are for people - not badly controlled pets.

Unless I can see a 100 meters in all directions my daft dog stays on the lead. Far too stupid for her own good.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Are you sure it says to fasten all gate? Thought the Code was to leave them as you find them. Closing a gate meant to be left open can cut animals off from their water or mean delay when they come trooping in for milking. Along sections of the Wiltshire Downs for example gates would often be deliberately left open so that flocks of sheep had the full range of the hillside.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/enjoying/countrysidecode/default.aspx

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice reminder

Unless I can see a 100 meters in all directions my daft dog stays on the lead. Far too stupid for her own good.

I salute you sir. I once watched a farmer shoot a dog, through tears, in front of children as it chased aborting ewes through a field. It still boils my blood to consider the self obsessed fool who put him in that position. How people can be so stunningly arrogant as to put their stroll above a hard working mans livelihood is beyond me. Rather like those idiots who think a dog chasing game birds is acceptable :(

Congratulations on being one of the minority.....feel free to walk your dog on my land anytime :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands

Mine too, some idiot (me) let him off leash and he chased 2 juvenile pheasants into the sea. They can't really swim but they do float and I waited until they were safely on land before I went home. (I was lucky because there was an on-land wind) Now he just goes of leash in enclosed area's.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
As someone who is connected to sheep farming, I'd say regardless of the control you think you have on your dog, keep it on a lead. Having three times now had to deal with dogs who've "never done that before", don't take the risk. We have fully trained sheep dogs. But if they are not on their land, then they are on a lead.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
i too support the keep dogs on a lead even more so around sheep or any livestock, dogs are unpredictable i have a fully trained collie and i dont let her of the lead unless i have permission

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just re-read the original post - they really are excellent rules. Isn't it a shame that such sensible guidelines aren't publicised as they used to be?

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Are you sure it says to fasten all gate? Thought the Code was to leave them as you find them. Closing a gate meant to be left open can cut animals off from their water or mean delay when they come trooping in for milking. Along sections of the Wiltshire Downs for example gates would often be deliberately left open so that flocks of sheep had the full range of the hillside.

Hi I just went to this link, and well found it a little confusing :confused: seems to contradict it's self. You are either on a footpath and use gates, stiles etc or just wandering around. And the dogs on leads, can be interpreted as my dog always comes when I call, don't no why it did not this time, hence a clause off get out.
Or is it just me, that rules are a little grey these days?

Elen Sentier

I salute you sir. I once watched a farmer shoot a dog, through tears, in front of children as it chased aborting ewes through a field. It still boils my blood to consider the self obsessed fool who put him in that position. How people can be so stunningly arrogant as to put their stroll above a hard working mans livelihood is beyond me. Rather like those idiots who think a dog chasing game birds is acceptable :(

So've I. I think my farmer friend also wanted to shoot the dog-owner for which I would have fully supported her!

On gates - I quite agree about shutting animals off from their water or restricting their grazing. When I was growing up in the country (1950s and early 60s) we were taught to leave the gate how we found it. If the farmer was moving a flock or herd then for the beasts to be faced with a closed gate when they got to the end of their walk along the lanes, maybe a mile or two, caused utter confusion. They animals know where they're going and often there was just the one man and a dog to herd them along. I dare say, with more than twice as many idiots on the planet nowadays, it's probably best to say shut all gates. You cannot rely on people leaving a gate how they found it. Some folk don't even realise to shut my yard gate although they find it shut, they look a me as if I'm mad when I shout "Please shut the gate!" after them :rolleyes:

Another one to add would be how to manage your car when you meet a flock or herd on the road. If they're coming towards you then stop, turn off the engine and wait, they'll flow around you. Don't roll the windows down or bill-n-coo at them, you'll scare them! and keep any dogs in the car utterly quiet! Kids too! Don't pull into the hedge or some large, skittish critter will want to go that side and will leap and clamber all over your car injuring themselves as well as damaging your car! If they're going your way, slow down, keep back, put your hazard lights on for folks coming up behind you, and settle down for a slow crawl until they get where they need to be. Do NOT sound your horn or try to push past!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just re-read the original post - they really are excellent rules. Isn't it a shame that such sensible guidelines aren't publicised as they used to be?

Have to admit until only a couple of years ago and on this forum I had never heard of the country code. I was never a scout in my youth and with little idea there were any "rules" so to speak. Certianly never seen them written anywhere in the flesh.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I do some volunteering work doing general conservation in an AONB.

The biggest single issue that gets flagged up is the damage done to ground nesting birds by dogs off leads. I also heard over the weekend some awful tales from a pig farmer who lost some piglets.

As Red said, the automatic assumption from dog owners seems to be that common land equals doggie playground.

For the record I like dogs, but some selfish and oblivious owners really do need educating.

P.S. Welcome to the OP and a good first topic to generate some responses!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I still don't understand having a dog if all you do is feed it and take it for walks.
A dogs only place in the countryside is as a guard dog, herder or hunter. Nothing worse than seeing a mutt rollicking around with no sense of purpose and, more often than not, no discipline.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have to admit until only a couple of years ago and on this forum I had never heard of the country code. I was never a scout in my youth and with little idea there were any "rules" so to speak. Certianly never seen them written anywhere in the flesh.

Just for you youngsters :)

[video=youtube;JFlJFlLkgK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlJFlLkgK0[/video]

[video=youtube;LvZQJMR3WE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZQJMR3WE8[/video]

a more recent one

[video=youtube;3aeosErQOCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aeosErQOCs[/video]

I like Joe and Petunia the best :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

Congratulations on being one of the minority.....feel free to walk your dog on my land anytime :)

Thanks Red ;)

Although I do wonder how I would react if my dog somehow slipped the lead and chased sheep in a field. Not being a farmer or connected with farming in any way (shame really) what are the effects "possible" or guaranteed of a dog chasing sheep? I am honestly interested to hear, what are the possible financial losses etc?
I would certainly have trouble with someone opening both barrels upon seeing my dog running through a farmers field. I guess it would be a different matter if there was no chance of recovering the dog or if it was hanging off the neck of a poor sheep or other animal. Accidents happen and to assume the dog is fair game and has categorically caused damage does not sit well with me. If there was any damage to sheep or lambs I would certainly expect to be sued and made to cover the farmers losses, only fair.
Shooting my dog on-site for running though a field sheep or not and (insert physical assault based inflammatory response here) :eek:
Very emotive subject and one I certainly dont want to de-rail this thread.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Even worse are gamekeepers shooting dogs as some seem to have gone out of their way to do so. Won't post the links but a simple search will find several. A loose dog is not automatically a legal target and in most cases the owners are trying to get it back. There is a difference between being near domestic stock and wild animals as well. Even a loose dog in afield with sheep is not sufficient justification for shooting it.

1. A farmer commits a criminal offence in threatening to shoot a dog, and also in actually shooting a dog, unless he honestly believed his livestock was 'in immediate need of protection' and that &#8216;the means of protection adopted or proposed to be adopted were or would be reasonable having regard to all the circumstances&#8217;. So where shouting, throwing something or shooting over the head would be enough, then that is what should be done first to avoid committing an offence. (Criminal Damage Act 1971).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE