Corner To Corner Or A Frame Tarp Set Up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Looking at a lot of your photos of your hammock set ups i noticed that they seem to be A frame set ups and was wondering which you prefer and why?

I have used other configurations but the A frame suites my purpose it shelters my hammock it allows me enough space to work under and is easy to setup do a poll

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
niether unless your being pedantic then you could say the way i do it is an l shaped a frame with one side bigger than the other

bushcraft&

forestwalker

With the 3x3 m tarp I do the one corner high (about 2+ m), the opposite one down on the ground, and of the remaining two most often at least one down setup about 80% of the time. Either a convenient tree, or two poles as shears.

With the smaller one if is either a lean-to (one side down, perhaps a slight downturn on the other side (1/3 or so) or free floating roof with the center point lifted slightly to prevent rain collection. The last time I did the A-frame style was over a snow trench, using the small basha.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
With a hammock, I do tend to use the A farme shape, but like Drew, with one side steeper and longer than the other...
DSCN2896.jpg

But when ground dwelling i use whatever is best on the day.
Dry but windy..Flying V with poncho...
DSCN3024.jpg

Windy & wet...rigged almost like a tent...
DSCN2980.jpg

Simon

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
because i'm a relative newbie to hammocking with a tarp i was after general ideas as i havnt really seen any other tarp/hammock set ups besidesmy own in the flesh as it were, thats why i started this paticular thread for ideas and the reasoning behind each set up, when i see pictures of them on differing threads there is usually no explanation as to the reason why the hammock and tarp have been set up in a paticular way, hence my question,
When the weather is dry i feel ok with a general A frame type but i was mainly after information on tarp and hammock set ups for when the weather is rainy/windy or as usual, both.
thanks simon for the pictures and uses.

cheers

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Set up for day use - hammock still set up - can unclip and roll up for more space if required:

mysetup007.jpg

Set up for bad weather/ night-time:

mysetup004.jpg

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
More set up photos for you...

Rigged to provide good rain protection and 2 hammocks...
DSCN2032.jpg

Back packing on a DoE expedition, HH Asym tarp used to keep weight down..
DSC00468.jpg

Good rain protection and rigged to take 2 hammocks...(daughters 1st night in a hammock:D )
DSC00443.jpg

Simon

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
What size tarp are you using in the first photo by the car? looks quite big..
I have a dd 3x3.
putting the corners down low like the hh tarps seems my preferred option for windy/wet nights but obviously not very user friendly for daytime activities so would need to rearrange.

thanks martin the second photo really shows how much room underneath.

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
Examineing your pic of the double set up i can see an under blanket, when the weather is a little inclement does the under blanket suffer from getting wet?
I have read a few threads about using a karabiner to stop the water running down the hammock strings but if its windy then if the rain blows under it looks like the blanket is in a prone position.
also, the blanket looks quite loose, does it fill with the weight of a person in the hammock ?

one answer makes twice as many questions!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It's a Tatonka 4.5m x 4.5m polycotton tarp. It only gets used for Meets and Scout camps as its too heavy to carry for any great distance.

I have never had an underblanket get wet from rain - If it looks like rain I lower the sides of the tarp.

When my over weight frame gets in the hammock it lowers to be touching the underblanket - which is secured with elastic cord so that it has some give. I now have a Snugpak underblanket, which is much better!

Simon

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I prefer the tarp on the diagonal generally, since it gives better protection from the rain and is less claustrophobic - and only needs one pole to lift a side up. Square on is useful if wind is the issue, or tree spacing forces it.

What I do is to thread my ridgeline through the centre loop on the tarp only (and leave it like that packed up). I have two prussiks on my ridgeline with attached mini carabiners, which I then hook to the appropriate end loops, either corners or halfway down a side. That way you can reconfigure it on the fly, so to speak.

You can see it here (DD tarp) - the central loop is directly above my lads head. I had a mini crab on it there, so I could pack the ridgeline separately, but it lets the middle of the tarp drop a bit.

temp_002.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE