Coming to a wood near you...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Do you know Katy as well do you:lmao:
Andrew

She is a nice girl , very accommodating :eek:

On first look i thought they were just photo shopped but after reading about the "artist" i realised they are real .
They would look so much better without the paint .

Craig. .....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
they've destroyed living trees to make those ! MURDERERS !!

These I really like..

wizard2.jpg

wizard1.jpg

p5070004.jpg

img_0308.jpg

sculptura-in-copac_7948285d78bbeb.jpg

It would be amazing to see them after a few dozen seasons. Pity that vandals would see them off long before that. We had an amazing one here last yeat and it's been vandalised and hacked at.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
personally I hope they don’t come to a wood near me I think they’re horrible. The wind and natural growth provides all the art I want to see in any 'living' tree

turkeypics018.jpg

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Thing is all those are already in the wood - all you've got to to is look...

One chap I quite like is Axel Anderson and his living sculpted trees.

This all kind of remind me of my grandad when he got old and went alittle bonkers - he went and painted the rocks at the bottom of the garden to "look more like rocks" He would also highlight the grain of the wood on certian pieces of furniture with inks.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think a lot of comment in this thread is rubbish. The sofa or chair you're sitting in, and the table with the cup of tea on it, the logs in your logstore, all were made from living trees. It's no more murder than harvesting wheat to make bread.

Sometimes amenity trees need taking down. And often it's the fact there are people around that cause this. It's nice to see something lasting left for us to appreciate rather than a stump and a pile of logs.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I like the stump sculptures shown by JD and TeePee, I just don't like painting on and messing about with trees that are growing in woodland. I'd have less of a problem if the odd tree in a park or garden was done like this but for me....I like my woodland as it is.

And yes, I fell live and perfectly health trees all the time....sometimes for good reasons imho and sometimes most definitely not (clients wanting trees felled because they can't be bothered clearing up the leaves once a year!!!!!).

I think there's also a difference with harvesting wood to use (furniture, building etc) like you would harvest wheat to eat and painting trees or....for that matter wondering into a field and painting all the wheat pink....coz it looks nice! ;)

Just my thoughts, wouldn't want to fall out over it lol :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like the stump sculptures shown by JD and TeePee, I just don't like painting on and messing about with trees that are growing in woodland. I'd have less of a problem if the odd tree in a park or garden was done like this but for me....I like my woodland as it is.

And yes, I fell live and perfectly health trees all the time....sometimes for good reasons imho and sometimes most definitely not (clients wanting trees felled because they can't be bothered clearing up the leaves once a year!!!!!).

I think there's also a difference with harvesting wood to use (furniture, building etc) like you would harvest wheat to eat and painting trees or....for that matter wondering into a field and painting all the wheat pink....coz it looks nice! ;)

Just my thoughts, wouldn't want to fall out over it lol :)

Agree entirely. I won't fell a big old Sycamore that was there before the house was because seed are growing in the gutter, but some of the view expressed here seem at best innocent, and at worst pious.

Maybe, as wheat is an annual, it's not a good analogy, but all trees have a lifespan. As long as the trees in the OP haven't been harmed and are expected to live on after their 'decoration', then I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is the overly innocent view that trees shouldn't be felled and their remains turned into something that lives on, whether it be part of your chair, or a grand sculpture.

Just down the road a few miles from me is an oak stump turned into a beautiful grandfather clock, working mechanism too. It pleases me to see it every time I drive past. If it had been ground levelled, it's life would have been forgotten by now.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just down the road a few miles from me is an oak stump turned into a beautiful grandfather clock, working mechanism too. It pleases me to see it every time I drive past. If it had been ground levelled, it's life would have been forgotten by now.

That sounds cool. You got a piccy?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk

That sounds brilliant :) I did a rather nice chair out of a large standing dead eucalyptus stump earlier this week and I do a mean toad stool but as chainsaw carving goes.....that's about my limit lol :)

Can you snap a piccy of the clock next time you go past please?

(oh and I only used wheat as you'd already mentioned it.....it's all farmable and harvestable....trees and plants....just time scales that are different lol)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE