Voluntarily handing in a large blade to the UK police

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Wonder if they'll do what the Met Police did a few years back "awfully sorry its been lost"...then "its been destroyed"....- "bill us". Yorkshire tried the same ruse with a historical gun but came unstuck.

Reactions: spokenword

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
FINAL OUTCOME - THE KNIFE HAS BEEN RETURNED TO ME

From the words of that lovely movie The Illusionist, "Restored back to its rightful owner."

Sent yet another email this morning to Home Office. They replied within minutes to say, "We have contacted Croydon police today to ensure your item is returned to you as soon as possible."

An hour later I get a call from Croydon Police. Very apologetic, telling me that this blew up the system. It apparently went right to the top. Officer told me there was a back-and-forth between the Home Office and Borough Commander. Reading between the lines I'd say the police didn't want to return it, but were forced to by the HO.

Police delivered it to my house within the hour. So, I now have it in my hands. No damage.

I have no interest in embarrassing the Police. Don't do social media or anything like that. Not a vindictive type. It stops here. My intention was to get to the bottom of this craziness. It's simply a badly written law. I'm certain there'll be an updated version of it, banning a whole new swathe of large knives.

You know something, they might have gotten away with it except for one thing: When at station reception for the fourth time, they handed me pre-prepared sheets of paper, to prove its illegality. However, the officer couldn't look me in the eye and rather sheepishly pushed them my way. I knew then that I was in the right, and that he knew it. Should've employed a better actor.

I've never been so polite (think Columbo). That seemed to annoy the police staff receptionists more than anything. They were expecting anger but instead got an annoying yet extremely polite tick. One that simply wouldn't die.

Lastly, what bothers me is that a person of limited intellect, or one with poor communicative skills might've just accepted the initial outcome and walked away empty handed. In regard to British law, I wonder how often people just give up without a struggle.

Last edited:

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Somerset, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire

From the words of that lovely movie The Illusionist, "Restored back to its rightful owner."

Sent yet another email this morning to Home Office. They replied within minutes to say, "We have contacted Croydon police today to ensure your item is returned to you as soon as possible."

An hour later I get a call from Croydon Police. Very apologetic, telling me that this blew up the system. It apparently went right to the top. Officer told me there was a back-and-forth between the Home Office and Borough Commander. Reading between the lines I'd say the police didn't want to return it, but were forced to by the HO.

Police delivered it to my house within the hour. So, I now have it in my hands. No damage.

I have no interest in embarrassing the Police. Don't do social media or anything like that. Not a vindictive type. It stops here. My intention was to get to the bottom of this craziness. It's simply a badly written law. I'm certain there'll be an updated version of it, banning a whole new swathe of large knives.

You know something, they might have gotten away with it except for one thing: When at station reception for the forth time, they handed me pre-prepared sheets of paper, to prove its illegality. However, the officer couldn't look me in the eye and rather sheepishly pushed them my way. I knew then that I was in the right, and that he knew it. Should've employed a better actor.

I've never been so polite (think Columbo). That seemed to annoy the police staff receptionists more than anything. They were expecting anger but instead got an annoying yet extremely polite tick. One that simply wouldn't die.

Lastly, what bothers me is that a person of limited intellect, or one with poor communicative skills might've just accepted the initial outcome and walked away empty handed. In regard to British law, I wonder how often people just give up without a struggle.

Very well done for pursuing it. Many wouldn’t have has the patience to do so so calmly yet persistently.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

You know something, they might have gotten away with it except for one thing: When at station reception for the fourth time, they handed me pre-prepared sheets of paper, to prove its illegality. However, the officer couldn't look me in the eye and rather sheepishly pushed them my way. I knew then that I was in the right, and that he knew it. Should've employed a better actor.

RE the bit in bold above. If they change the law and your knife gets caught up on it. Well the police have your address and knowledge you have such a knife. I might be paranoid but it does not mean this is not something to watch going forward should there be such an update to the law!!:)

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest

Good for you mate, very well done

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Very well done sir. If you suddenly start getting several random vehicle stops, put in a complaint, because it might be that some mean person has put a marker on your reg out of sour grapes. Although, other side of the coin, that tends to be when some really obnoxious types have "gotten away" on a technicality and rubbed their noses in it.

DB-71

May 1, 2023
Northwest
Very well done sir. If you suddenly start getting several random vehicle stops, put in a complaint, because it might be that some mean person has put a marker on your reg out of sour grapes. Although, other side of the coin, that tends to be when some really obnoxious types have "gotten away" on a technicality and rubbed their noses in it.
I reckon they have bigger fish to fry :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thank you very much for putting in the work that got your knife back.

I am going to hang on to this thread.
It describes a useful sequence and a brilliant precedent.

I don’t think that you will get any sort of reprisal but keep a journal of anything that happens if it does.

Once again - thank you!

Edited:
To recorrect the autocorrect.
There are few brilliant presidents.

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
RE the bit in bold above. If they change the law and your knife gets caught up on it. Well the police have your address and knowledge you have such a knife. I might be paranoid but it does not mean this is not something to watch going forward should there be such an update to the law!!:)
If I haven't moved it to the USA by Christmas, it'll still mean I probably have at least another year to consider. There's usually advance warning on these things. And, if it really is banned next time, and I still have it, it 'will' qualify for compensation.

Last edited:

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
I reckon they have bigger fish to fry :)
I'm guessing that too. I could see this being an instigator to law change. So, you can probably all blame me in the future.

I must say, the Home Office were very good. Any delay appeared to be from the Police in carrying out HO instructions. In the end, they simply had to.

Last edited:

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Ended up going out of my way to be most polite. In fact, terribly, terribly polite... and nice. Hope that's enough :)

Reactions: Pattree

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
ADVICE FOR THE NEXT BAN:

Never surrender an item without a receipt/ticket. I spoke to a beat officer who described the new system at Croydon. Everything is given a case number and all documents are scanned into the system. The way she talked made me feel it was a fairly new IT system. The paperwork and item you submit have to match the receipt number.

Include printed photographs of said item and printouts from various selling sites as proof of value. Describe the compensation you're asking for plus a scanned receipt if still available. I also included a bit of backstory on its origin and intended use.

On my first visit I did a Columbo five times within the hour. Each time stepping outside, only to think of, "Just one more thing". They did not automatically issue any type of receipt/ticket. I had to ask, whereupon they told me it could take a long time. Probably hoping I'd just leave. Without that piece of paper you probably won't have a leg to stand on.

Be aware that once you hand any item over and the bulletproof door shuts... that's it!

GET A RECEIPT/TICKET!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE