Voluntarily handing in a large blade to the UK police

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
No anger for you at all, other than anger on your behalf that the authorities have unlawfully seized your property! Didnt intend to come across that way if I did.
Oh no, not at all mate :) I meant 'everyone', as this will probably annoy many. If not now,then further down the line.

Reactions: Chris

YEOLDOAK

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2015
uk
@ spokenword
BMF getting destroyed what a shame, did you at least keep hold of the
sheath, compass and stone ? believe the sheaths were made by Bianchi,
known for there holsters back in the 80s 90s

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
@spokenword I appreciate your feedback and perseverance. I agree with the others in that I can't see how the knife falls into the 2016 ban.

Do you have a scan of the doc (when you have time), I'm tempted to send it to BASC for their view as if there is some form of ban or interpretation of the ban most law abiding people are not aware of then it could have serious consequences for some.
Just scanned the two documents, but can't see how I can attach them to any message or forum post. Any idea, let me know.

Edit: failing that, I could email them to you. That's if you trust in my not being a crazed psycho :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Here are the pages hopefully. I can't find the original document they come from.

Attachments

• 0001.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 0002.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
From what I can see this is page 29 & 37 and, in order to understand what the police are saying I'd need to see the whole document. If anyone could find it it would be very useful to read.

My current guess is you would not get to page 29 if the knife does not meet the 2016 ban, which it wouldn't if it doesnt have violent words or images.

Reactions: spokenword

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
By the way, I did email the homeoffice.gov.uk address shown, asking for clarification. For everyone in the UK. Will update here when/if they reply.

Can I ask what you sought clarification on? You won't get a meaningful answer on whether or not the BMF is covered by the previous or the new 'zombie knife' legislation unless you go to court.

I think your earlier post (below) rather explains the situation - you wanted to be able to hand in something so you feel better about your perception of the situation?

Really, I'm in fine mood. I needed clarification and feel better at knowing a mother won't be grieving over her lost son, all because I wanted a few hundred quid. I probably wouldn't make a good arms dealer :)

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Can I ask what you sought clarification on? You won't get a meaningful answer on whether or not the BMF is covered by the previous or the new 'zombie knife' legislation unless you go to court.

I think your earlier post (below) rather explains the situation - you wanted to be able to hand in something so you feel better about your perception of the situation?
Just don't feel comfortable with keeping something that's illegal. Wanted to see how they hide one law behind another. Promoting and advertising a new law, but keeping quiet on the old one. Had no idea that 7 inch with saw back was 'prohibited'. Useful for later down the road. Also, just to help others here... nothing more really. Edit: Agree, going to court would probably be the only way to untangle it all.

spokenword

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2024
Surrey
Once again, anyone tired of reading this now massive thread, just read another. Once a definitive answer/result is obtained, it'll end. For me it's interesting to see how the law works, and what effect it'll have on future variations of the knife ban. The value of the knife is irrelevant. Not so bothered (although I wouldn't refuse a few hundred).

I followed up yesterday's email to the Home Office (zombie dept.) with this email today:

I thought this Gerber BMF survival knife qualified as an illegal zombie knife, but upon further research I see it is in fact legal to own.

Please see attachment containing pic of the receipt/reference number I was given after police took possession of the knife.

Please see your own Home Office document from July 2024:

Under the section: Annex A: Types of ‘Zombie-Style’ Knives and ‘Zombie-Style’ Machetes.
There is a diagram that asks: Does the knife have a blade over 8" long? If the answer to that is no, it does not qualify.

Therefore, following logically through the document, under the section: Annex B: Checklist for members of the public
It says, "•If your weapon does not qualify under this scheme you may still surrender it to the police, but you cannot claim compensation." Please note that it says, "you may", not that you "have to".
I immediately asked for them to hand it back to me. They refused.

Most importantly: I did not willingly surrender it for zero compensation. It has a blade under 8" and is brand new, unused. My intention is now to sell it (with the help of my USA citizen brother) via eBay USA, where they still allow knife sales. I have no use for it here in the UK. They sell for $900 used in the USA. Mine is brand new.

subwoofer

Mar 8, 2013
Hove
When I first came across this thread I thought it was the 9" saw back BMF in question, but it was the 7 3/4 " original version.
This is NOT a 'zombie' knife and cannot legally be ruled as such.
There is some case law which rules that a United Cutlery Rambo First Blood knife was a zombie knife despite the fact it did not have words or images of violence as the judge felt 'Rambo' was a symbol of violence. This was not well publicised. In fact it was 'Rambo' not 'First Blood' that they focused on, and custom made FB knives without the word 'Rambo' on them were still OK.
The same UC replica knife can be made legal by blunting the cutting edge and saw back as it is now a replica prop and not a knife.
I digress slightly as this relates to the BMF not having any words or images of violence on it, so the earlier 'zombie knife' law does not affect it or the 9" version.
The 9" version does come into scope of the latest law due to the over 8" blade. However the definition of the additional 'serrated edge' does require it to be sharp and able to cut, so the 9" saw back BMF, will fall out of scope of the new law if each and every saw tooth is blunted and cannot cut. This is the 9". The 8" (actually 7 3/4") has never been illegal to own under any law.
The specific criteria of the earlier Zombie Knife law required the 'images or words depicting violence' so the BMF is not included full stop.

Sadly here we have people who seem less interested in applying the law and more in boosting their 'surrender' figures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE