combat survival course notes..fact or fiction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
evening everyone, combat survival , course notes / SAS. was a survival manual reprinted by paladin press in the 1980s, i own the first copy, red cover with attacking soldier, and i own the second printed edition, white cover with SAS badge on the front, and i also have a nato stamped copy, now this is the issue i need solving......the reprinted 1980s versions have 13 chapters, the copy i own with nato stamps has 24, but on looking on the net there is no info on any manual ever being used by the sas, {BUT THERE WOULDNT BE WOULD THERE} thats why we have the best SF in the world i quess....OK let me say that i have met a ex member of 22 SAS , i aked him if such manual ever excisted, his answer was they have come up on ebay,, but he couldnt or wouldnt tell me anything else, and i want u all to know he was ex SAS, but this still doesnt answer the question of was combat survival ..course notes a genuine UKSF manual, this i cannot answer but i know someone out there can, who wrote it ???? was it written after or during WW2, or is it a cleverly wrote manual but branded with the sas name to give it credit.????? i really think its a great survival manual but i cant answer the gabs...real or not like i say its a good read, full of fact, any feed back on this manual would be greatly recieved,

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
The Paladin Press version is a direct xerox of the original pages. I have compared an issue version to the copy and was amazed to find they are identical even down to the smudges on the pages! The reason it's shorter than the genuine version is that it doesn't include resistance to interrogation and how to deal with war dogs, to name just two areas! Anything they thought might be contentious was left out.:rolleyes:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You've met everyone of them Simon!, you must be a member yourself then;)

Write to the OC, he might know,

Write to

Officer Commanding
22 SAS Regiment
Sterling Lines
Credenhill
Hereford

:lmao:

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
The only manual i am aware of was issued to those attending the Combat Survival Instructors course.The ones i saw had a light blue cover with badge on the front and combat survival instructors course notes printed on them.As for contents i can not help you.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
theyre kind hearted tho, them ex sas types . . . when i used to do a lot of hitch-hiking, you wouldnt believe the number of ex-sas, that stopped to give me lifts :lmao:

Yeah, they used to give me lifts too, especially if I was hitching in an OG boiler suit.
Whistlin.gif

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
You should be feeling lucky that the 'ex member' of the UK's most elite fighting force would not tell you.

Because, as is widely known, if he told you, then, he'd have to kill you!

Matter of national security, defence of the realm, thunderbirds, captain scarlett etc........

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
any idea what date this manual came about, so far im led to believe 1960s, as there is a joint service manual thats classified , but is mentioned in the us army survival evasion and escape manual which is dated dated 1966, , forget the sas angle, as jokes aside for a minute, this book still remains a mystery , seems this manual is unusual as no one seems to know who wrote it, unlike all the other manuals available out there , and for that reason i think it deserves some attention, its filled with very accurate infomation regarding survival in the uk , forget the killing dogs and prisoner of war stuff, thats good reading but of no use, unless your a postman or soilder hahaha, but the survival section is basic but spot on, the wild food section is 100% accurate, allthough the drawings let it down somewhat

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello leantoo is it possible you post or pm the n.s.n so i can have a look in the system.
I mean the nato stock number if there is one, has a nato stamp then it could be on there, should be a long number #### - ## - ### - ####, if it's there i can ask a stores friend to have a look on the historic stores inventory and see if there's any info on it ,i'll also try the mil publications record does it have a jsp(joint service publication) number anywhare on it.:22:

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I remember a series of issue pamphlets on jungle, desert and arctic survival, designed as aide-memoires for aircrew.

Of course, unless you know what colour the boathouse at Hereford is, I can say no more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE