Bushcraft and Foraging Expedition for Charity (Wales Coast Path)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArmyMan3317

Feb 28, 2023
Southbourne
My name is Neil, and I am 42 years old. In June 2024 I will attempting to navigate the Wales Coast Path (Unsupported) within 30 days, to raise money for charity. Given my military background, the three charities that I am fundraising for are Walking with the Wounded (WWTW), Combat Stress and the Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Airmen’s Families Association (SSAFA). In addition, through this challenge, I aim to raise awareness of the City to Sea charity.

The Wales Coast Path covers 870 miles (1,400km) of primarily rugged terrain with a total rise and fall of 95,800ft (29,200m), almost three times the height of Everest. What makes this challenge unique is the conditions that I will be operating within. I will be using no public facilities whatsoever throughout the journey whether that be accommodation, places to eat, shops, campsites etc. I will be setting off on my journey with 20-30KG of supplies and will be required to apply bushcraft and foraging skills along the way to complete the route. I will source and process my own food, purify my own water, and keep myself rested and medically fit through wild camping and the use of natural resources. This is not only a physical and mental endurance challenge but also a severe test of the bushcraft and foraging skills that I will be learning from some of the country’s best survival, bushcraft, and foraging experts.

I initially planned this expedition as an Unsupported Fastest Known Time (FKT) record of which there was no account of anyone completing this route without any assistance whatsoever. However, frustratingly late on in the planning process it was brought to my attention, after further discussion with the Fastest Known Time organisation, that foraging natural sources is classed as Self-Supported rather than Unsupported. All items apart from water are required to be carried from the start of the route to attempt an Unsupported FKT. Therefore, my intention to achieve a FKT Unsupported record was simply not achievable. In addition, under these rules, I would not be allowed to engage with any members of the public who may approach me on my journey.

I quickly dismissed an attempt at the Self-Supported record instead as this was never about personal accolades for me. I believe that the magic of this expedition would be lost if I used hotels, shops, and restaurants to get by. I didn’t want this to be simply another marathon-type event. Whilst I respect anyone that has the motivation and persistence to complete a long-distance event what I want to complete here is a unique challenge that will rely on a strong and diverse community to complete and would raise awareness of the importance of our natural environment.

There is something magical about the notion of navigating the 870 miles of terrain whilst relying on natural resources (legally hasten I add) to survive and the taught skills to recognise, source and process these resources. Also, the primary purpose of this event is to raise money for charity which would be limited if I was prohibited from engaging with members of the public during the expedition. It is important to me that people can ask questions. Perhaps someone spots me making lava bread over an open fire, smoking mackerel, or identifying medicinal plants and they would like to know what I’m doing. Maybe someone wants to take pictures, follow the expedition social media channels, and donate money to the charities. All these things should not be prohibited, I want people to become involved in whatever way they like.

I hope that this expedition will engage with members of the public throughout the 870 miles. If we generate a strong community spirit and following, whether this be residents close to the coast path, walkers, or people on their holiday, then I anticipate that we will all be able to raise a significant amount of money for three fantastic causes.

Further details at: Expedition Website Please share around on social media. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter links included within the website.

Hopefully I see some of you on the path!

Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE