Catapult/Slingshot Material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm in the process of making a slingshot and was thinking about making it from a piece of 18mm thick walnut board I have. Can anyone offer any thoughts or experience on the suitability of walnut or any similar sawn timber?

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I'm in the process of making a slingshot and was thinking about making it from a piece of 18mm thick walnut board I have. Can anyone offer any thoughts or experience on the suitability of walnut or any similar sawn timber?

Hi Chris, I started to make one a while back made from 20mm walnut board well it was an old kitchen door that was laying around, Seems to be very strong to me but never finished it :rolleyes:
I'm fairly sure it will be good to use as a slingshot, Here's a couple of photo's of mine that i started
Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi Chris, I started to make one a while back made from 20mm walnut board well it was an old kitchen door that was laying around, Seems to be very strong to me but never finished it :rolleyes:
I'm fairly sure it will be good to use as a slingshot, Here's a couple of photo's of mine that i started
Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

Looking good. Certainly looks good and strong. I guess there's really only one way to find out; I should get on and get it made. PPE might be in order on the maiden run though.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
After a little further test on strenth it did break :yikes: so did give it a miss if i was you!

Photo-0155.jpg

But why not try one made of ply wood as it's cheap and very strong! Here's one i started at the same time but yet again never finished :rolleyes:

Photo-0008.jpg

Photo-0009.jpg

Last edited:

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
It had occurred to me to use birch ply, but I thought the walnut would look nicer. Guess it would be a better choice. I'll give it a try and post the results when I have something to show for my efforts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE