Chuck boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
So I was trolling around on YouTube looking for an idea on a simple stow away system for making a coffee or a quick bite to eat and be small enough to not take up to much room in the boot of my car.
I've had to down size from a large truck to a medium saloon (Jaguar X type),
I found loads of different chuck boxes and then found one made from a metal lunch box, I was thinking of a small ammo can.
Anyone done similar?
Any pics?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I was trolling around on YouTube looking for an idea on a simple stow away system for making a coffee or a quick bite to eat and be small enough to not take up to much room in the boot of my car.
I've had to down size from a large truck to a medium saloon (Jaguar X type),
I found loads of different chuck boxes and then found one made from a metal lunch box, I was thinking of a small ammo can.
Anyone done similar?
Any pics?

I will be following.

Seems you already have an idea of exactly what end function you want and have a decided idea of what its NOT going to have to be designed for - which is a good thing.

Can you list the items or foodstuff/ingredients/condiments you envisage carrying as this may help determine the end size.

Ammunition can sizes , I have several in my shed although for obvious reasons one will find certain surplus ones easy to obtain.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/army-surplus-uk/military-hardware.html

Last edited:
Reactions: cbrdave

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have a set up in my vehicle. Small plastic box (about the size of an ammo tin) containing coffee, tea bags, a few hot chocolates (for when morale is really low...), honey/sweetners/sugar, and powdered milk. There's also a spoon in there. Inside the box is also some nutty bars, some sweets and a couple of microwave meals in pouches (the 2min ping type), these can be eaten cold or heated up in the JetBoil stove which I also keep in the truck. I also have a 5ltr water container in the vehicle. I'd upload a picture, but it's in the garage this weekend getting an oil leak done and the box is still in the back.....

Reactions: Ozmundo and cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I will be following.

Seems you already have an idea of exactly what end function you want and have a decided idea of what its NOT going to have to be designed for - which is a good thing.

Can you list the items or foodstuff/ingredients/condiments you envisage carrying as this may help determine the end size.

Ammunition can size I have several in my shed although for obvious reasons one will find certain surplus ones easy to obtain.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/army-surplus-uk/military-hardware.html
I think, it will pretty much house,
Jetboil with a Stanley Cook set, the one with the two green mugs in,
Some coffee's and fruit teas, hot chocolate, spoon, forks, maybe some plastic or metal plates, some easy boil or cook foods,
It will generally be used while out at nature reserves so I can come back to the car, charge batteries if needed and have a brew and some food then go off again for the golden hour at the end of the day.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I have a set up in my vehicle. Small plastic box (about the size of an ammo tin) containing coffee, tea bags, a few hot chocolates (for when morale is really low...), honey/sweetners/sugar, and powdered milk. There's also a spoon in there. Inside the box is also some nutty bars, some sweets and a couple of microwave meals in pouches (the 2min ping type), these can be eaten cold or heated up in the JetBoil stove which I also keep in the truck. I also have a 5ltr water container in the vehicle. I'd upload a picture, but it's in the garage this weekend getting an oil leak done and the box is still in the back.....
I think yours sounds ideal for what I want to do, I have had a dig about in the garage and found a good sized metal box,
I'll have a play over the next few days and post some pics of what I came up with.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I think yours sounds ideal for what I want to do, I have had a dig about in the garage and found a good sized metal box,
I'll have a play over the next few days and post some pics of what I came up with.
I carry the box in the back of my vehicle, zipped inside a small holdall which contains a warm jacket, hat, gloves, bivvy bag, blag blah blah..... the holdall is really for if the situation dictates I need that kind of gear, but the plastic box is for regular use like an impromptu brew or a quick snack if I'm hungry. I carry dogs in my vehicle so the 5ltr water container is in and out all day every day!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If was in the US could probably find a used miners lunchbox relatively cheap.

Stanley have modern repo that's around 10l volume
https://www.stanley1913.com/products/classic-lunch-box

Still seems some are still hand made in Canada
Think they've come up on here or BB before, atleast think that's where I know them from.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
So far the list for the box is.
Jetboil
1 maybe 1.5 ltr water.
Coffee, chocolate sachets, fruit tea.
Stanley Cook set with green mugs inside.
Spoons.
Forks.
Wipes/tissues.
Mini bicycle lighter.
Small carrier bag for rubbish.
Condiment sachets.
Pasta/rice just add water types.
Will add and take away once I've used it a few times.
As it will live in the car I already have 1st aid kits and multi tools and other good stuff anyway.

Once I've got it all worked out and packed in I'll put a photo up if anyone interested.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So far the list for the box is.
Jetboil
1 maybe 1.5 ltr water.
Coffee, chocolate sachets, fruit tea.
Stanley Cook set with green mugs inside.
Spoons.
Forks.
Wipes/tissues.
Mini bicycle lighter.
Small carrier bag for rubbish.
Condiment sachets.
Pasta/rice just add water types.
Will add and take away once I've used it a few times.
As it will live in the car I already have 1st aid kits and multi tools and other good stuff anyway.

Once I've got it all worked out and packed in I'll put a photo up if anyone interested.

So what container are you thinking of getting that into? I think you should manage that in a 5.56mm can with room to spare.

1697370055042.png

Reactions: Ozmundo and cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
So I've fell at the first hurdle :banghead:
Metal box I have is too small height wise,
The jetboil won't stand in and lid doesn't shut,
Now looking at an ammo tin with atleast 200mm in internal height.
I will get one and will put pics up asap :thumbsup:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My 'Chuck box' is in three parts.

Box 1 is labelled 'Snack Box' and contains the Jetboil, two china mugs (yes, china), a couple of small plates, a small, long, Tupperware container with cutlery in including a small cook's knife, a stainless Cafetiere, a mini chopping board, a small box of different teas, a sealed tin of ground coffee, and, if the missus is with me, a mini thermos with milk in. There's still room for biscuits etc. This box is always in the car when we go out for the day and allows us to brew up and have an excellent cup of coffee wherever we are.

Box 2 is labelled 'Spice Box' and this contains a wide selection of spices - in camp I could cook Indian, Italian, Oriental, and others, with the spices I have. Before setting off I will add a small bottle of oil, garlic, onions, and anything else I feel may need on the trip. This box goes with us if we're camping.

Box 3 is labelled 'Kitchen Box' and is twice the size of the other two - it contains the other cooking gear such as pans and cooking utensils, knives, and a larger chopping board. For a short trip it may also contain our main food ingredients. However, for longer treks food goes in a fourth box (same size as the kitchen box) and the kitchen box will probably have a collapsing washing bowl and other tools in it.

All these boxes are standard Euro sized strong stacking boxes with lids and sealed from rodents. They lock together when stacked and two smaller boxes (1 & 2) will sit on a larger box. This means they can easily be strapped down safely in the Defender. I buy mine from Solent Plastics but there are plenty of other suppliers.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My 'Chuck box' is in three parts.

Box 1 is labelled 'Snack Box' and contains the Jetboil, two china mugs (yes, china), a couple of small plates, a small, long, Tupperware container with cutlery in including a small cook's knife, a stainless Cafetiere, a mini chopping board, a small box of different teas, a sealed tin of ground coffee, and, if the missus is with me, a mini thermos with milk in. There's still room for biscuits etc. This box is always in the car when we go out for the day and allows us to brew up and have an excellent cup of coffee wherever we are.

Box 2 is labelled 'Spice Box' and this contains a wide selection of spices - in camp I could cook Indian, Italian, Oriental, and others, with the spices I have. Before setting off I will add a small bottle of oil, garlic, onions, and anything else I feel may need on the trip. This box goes with us if we're camping.

Box 3 is labelled 'Kitchen Box' and is twice the size of the other two - it contains the other cooking gear such as pans and cooking utensils, knives, and a larger chopping board. For a short trip it may also contain our main food ingredients. However, for longer treks food goes in a fourth box (same size as the kitchen box) and the kitchen box will probably have a collapsing washing bowl and other tools in it.

All these boxes are standard Euro sized strong stacking boxes with lids and sealed from rodents. They lock together when stacked and two smaller boxes (1 & 2) will sit on a larger box. This means they can easily be strapped down safely in the Defender. I buy mine from Solent Plastics but there are plenty of other suppliers.

Any chance of a link or photo please of the boxes you refer too ?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I can’t seem to find the same one now. But my chuck box is a plastic ammunition box, it’s a nice size probably the same as two .50cal boxes side by side and a little taller. But it does a great job of carrying all my food and cooking gear for a few days away camping.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have two kitchen boxes

one for two people and the other for one.

(Though with planning they can do for four or two folk.)

The big one is one of those old fishing seat boxes and the small a wicker hamper gift box

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Any chance of a link or photo please of the boxes you refer too ?

This is the make and range but I notice Solent Plastics don't stock them anymore :(

They are extremely robust, come in a large selection of sizes, and a fraction of Wolfbox pricing. You have to order the boxes and the lids separately.

Reactions: cbrdave and TeeDee

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
I think, it will pretty much house,
Jetboil with a Stanley Cook set, the one with the two green mugs in,
Some coffee's and fruit teas, hot chocolate, spoon, forks, maybe some plastic or metal plates, some easy boil or cook foods,
It will generally be used while out at nature reserves so I can come back to the car, charge batteries if needed and have a brew and some food then go off again for the golden hour at the end of the day.
No spork

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My gripe with ammo boxes is they are chuffing heavy for their size, especially the small ones, and their lids aren't always the most helpful, depending on application.

Reactions: ged and cbrdave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE