Chuck boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
After a search through the local junk emporium and measuring and inspecting ammo boxes and buying a tool case which is too big for my needs, I found this metal file box for £5, quickly stuffed some bits in and it looks like a winner, I'm going to line it with non slip matting to soften the rattles and sort it properly, I've put a piece on the bottom and I'm planning on putting some sort of storage on the lid, probably on the inside back of the lid so I can use the lid as a shelf when opened.
I'll probably paint it too just to tidy it up, fits perfectly in the boot of the car, neatly to one side.
Now to get rid of the tool case and steel box I don't need.

20231016_143412.jpg

20231016_143438.jpg

20231016_145505.jpg

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
With the lid in place could you sit on it?

I find that if you leave an idea in your head, open to adaptation then you see all sorts of things that you come across as appropriate whereas a plan set out in permanent ink stifles options.

This is part of my fundamental philosophical tenet:

Procrastination is the key to flexibility.

Reactions: cbrdave

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
So I was trolling around on YouTube looking for an idea on a simple stow away system for making a coffee or a quick bite to eat and be small enough to not take up to much room in the boot of my car.
I've had to down size from a large truck to a medium saloon (Jaguar X type),
I found loads of different chuck boxes and then found one made from a metal lunch box, I was thinking of a small ammo can.
Anyone done similar?
Any pics?
I use one of these, not necessarily from the linked manufacturer. I add a couple of 2m buckle straps sometimes. Small critter-proof, toss something waterproof over it if rain is likely, wash out every year or so.
css_alc43_blue.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
After a search through the local junk emporium and measuring and inspecting ammo boxes and buying a tool case which is too big for my needs, I found this metal file box for £5, quickly stuffed some bits in and it looks like a winner, I'm going to line it with non slip matting to soften the rattles and sort it properly, I've put a piece on the bottom and I'm planning on putting some sort of storage on the lid, probably on the inside back of the lid so I can use the lid as a shelf when opened.
I'll probably paint it too just to tidy it up, fits perfectly in the boot of the car, neatly to one side.
Now to get rid of the tool case and steel box I don't need.

View attachment 83024

View attachment 83025

View attachment 83026
I like that - the angled front suits it for easy viewing!

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
With the lid in place could you sit on it?

I find that if you leave an idea in your head, open to adaptation then you see all sorts of things that you come across as appropriate whereas a plan set out in permanent ink stifles options.

This is part of my fundamental philosophical tenet:

Procrastination is the key to flexibility.
Not sure it will hold my weight to be honest, I've already emptied and refilled 3 times, it definitely will evolve as time goes on and I will probably be buying more boxes and containers until I find the perfect one for what I want, certainly cures the boredom.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I use one of these, not necessarily from the linked manufacturer. I add a couple of 2m buckle straps sometimes. Small critter-proof, toss something waterproof over it if rain is likely, wash out every year or so.
css_alc43_blue.jpg
If I still had my pickup I would certainly use one. I have one in the garage, unfortunately I have a small saloon car now, a jaguar xtype, the boot isn't huge so I'm looking at a smallish one to fit to the side and won't take up boot space, it has a small nook on either side, one side already has my emergency kit I always have in any vehicle.
I volunteer for Serv blood runners so need the space for a folding trolley and the blood boxes.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have seen an aluminium brief/suit case mounted so when opened, the lid formed a shelf.

Pretty cool way to do it, if can mount (temporarily) on the outside of camper.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have seen an aluminium brief/suit case mounted so when opened, the lid formed a shelf.

Pretty cool way to do it, if can mount (temporarily) on the outside of camper.

Could do the same with a Jerry can - which is purely an aesthetic suggestion.
If one cut the jerry can down the middle seam - so it opened in a clam shell formation , one could also have a drop down table on the middle of the jerry can that dropped down ( retained by chains ) to form a nice little table area.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe a standard 20L Can is 6.5" wide, and a Jetboil is like 4"? diameter. So would have to offset the cut.

Have seen someone use bicycle chain to hold up a shelf, seemed pretty neat solution.

Also thinking if I wanted to carry some water, a SADF 2L water canteen which would be 25cm tall, 12cm x 9cm footprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbrdave and TeeDee

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I use a car boot organiser off Amazon for our kitchen set up when camping. All the pans, utensils, knives, crockery, cutlery etc that we take car camping fits in lovely and it doubles as a low table when we get there as it has a solid topm

Sent from underground

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’ve seen some plastic crates on AliExpress that have side opening as well as the top. Pretty sure they’ll be on eBay and Amazon to. Could work tuck beside a wheel arch.

I use the a standard crate with a lower volume, about half normal size. I was digging through it hence the mess. In use there is a 4L can of water in it too. Two jet boils, washing up bowl etc as it’s for making quick brews for a group.
8EB12130-BE3A-40D5-9799-4776FABC22B0.jpeg
Fire dragon stove as a back up/warming pan. Mugs are double stacked so it’s reasonably deep.

Reactions: gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE