Camp knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
its a cracking job mate take no notice of kn**head,all I seem to read from "chips" are negative or provocative comments,he seems a right miserable sod to me!.perhaps the "chips" is a chip on his shoulder?:,but whatever that scarf round his neck looks like soft wrinkly skin to me,hmm now where have I seen skin like that before!!!!!!!!!!!! :twak: :nono:

ecobandit, you send me a polite message asking me to review your work, then insult me? One of your knives looked particularly interesting to me.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
I actually"insulted "you then sent you a pm! roots knife ,in my opinion is well executed good shape,nice handle,sheaths not entirely to my liking but well made never the less all in all a very good effort and recycled to boot! everyones style and preference is different I make knives and tools for my pleasure/use and if that gives other people pleasure then thats just wonderfull but constructive not not destructive is the way forward. and please be my guest and give your honest opinion of my work I will not comment on your reply if I do not agree with you !

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I do like the knife, that blade's got some lovely curves! The sheath? Not so keen personally. There's no accounting for taste, is there :D ? How big is it ? Real nice job :)

I was talking about my own taste here :) and not meaning to be critical for the sake of it, but apologies if it came out that way.

roots

Sep 12, 2004
wiltshire
Well now, how do respond here......thought I would have a look to see if anyone had noticed my post and they have:eek: . Thanks for all the replies, I did note a few fellow BB members, thanks boys most of you may have seen it before a couple of months back.

I have no problem with any replies, after all I did ask for them. When a person responds with 'I dont like' that is their personal opinion and they are intitled to it of course. I do not post just to get an ego boost although we all love a bit of validation dont we ? What I would say (IMHO) is personal opinions might not be as helpful as feedback eg; this shape works better for me for a given job, that shape not so good for my style of work etc.

For those that asked it is a shade under 8 inches in the blade, chops really well and makes a mean feather stick, the recurve helps there, held upwards and pulled in a chest grip. Very safe and controlled this way although it is a little large for my tastes also, I prefer a small knife ( that I made also ) and an axe really.

One thing though, re blade shape and which way round is up. The back is 5mm across and flat........ the edge will shave your arm:D ;) .

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I like that knife overall. It looks like a working tool. I love the bladeshape, I too like a small amount of recurve but not as extreme as a kukri. For me you got that just about perfect.

I like the 'forge-finish'. The one thing that, to me, did ring true from some of the earlier comments was about the symetric sheath. This could mean that you do not instantly know which side the cutting edge will be.

I'd buy one (or at least clone the shape when I make another!).

Cheers,
Steve

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Looking at the knife again, I worked out what I like about it: it looks a bit like a back to front Nessmuk, the back of the knife is where the cutting edge would be, with a slightly flattened cutting edge! As to the sheath, it does not follow the curves of the knife, which for me, does not work. Very nice knife. :)

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
I don't like the shape of the handle, or of the knife. I don't like the ridges on the back of the knife. I don't like the ricasso. I don't like the symetrical sheath so you can't tell which way the blade is.

Constructive negative criticism can be very enlightening.

Though I would prefer to hear the reasoning justifying a statement.

Forr example, "I don't like the shape of the handle BECAUSE...." would be more useful, I would think.

But then, I'm just a old codger from a different culture.

Jim FBtE
Hawaii

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think it is a great looking knife, well done to you. If it works for you, then that is the only validation you require. ;)

And as for teachers, well i don't know why they felt the need to have one of their "Insect Days" this friday, sitting around discussing their nit collections, as the kids have split up for half term. Seems like a cheeky way of getting an extra day off to me!

PS. That was a bit of humour too, seems there are many that can't see the difference these days! :rolleyes: It was of course an Inset Day (not an Insect Day), or what normal people call a Training Day. Still a bloomin' day off no matter which way you cut it! :D

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I don't like the shape of the handle, or of the knife. I don't like the ridges on the back of the knife. I don't like the ricasso. I don't like the symetrical sheath so you can't tell which way the blade is.

I like the little spacers in the handle. I like the leather colour and effect. I quite like the handle wood.

Not something I'd ever use, but good for you for doing it. I hope it works well for you, it's always good using gear you make yourself.

Don't like the handle shape because it looks symetrical and may lead to grabbing the knife in the wrong side, and cutting yourself. The knife shape I don't like because it seems like just adding additional weight with no noticable gain. The ridges again have no purpose I would use. Ricasso looks a bit weird in that the bevel had been done on both sides. Kind of hard to explain.

The little spacers add something interesting that breaks up what would otherwise be a chunk of quite plain wood. The leather is really nice because it looks natural, it's rustic and I like it like that. The wood is smooth but not overly polished, so looks practical. It's a quite plain wood that doesn't take your attention away from the rest of the knife.

Just my opinions.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
i like it alot. You have done more than i and many others on this board have done.

Hat off to you sir. So what is the next one going to look like :)

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Ive been looking for a knife like that for a fair while
If you ever fancy trading it then please chuck me a pm

Its a lovely looking knife and looks like it would make a good working tool for around camp

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
Don't like the handle shape because it looks symetrical and may lead to grabbing the knife in the wrong side, and cutting yourself. The knife shape I don't like because it seems like just adding additional weight with no noticable gain. The ridges again have no purpose I would use. Ricasso looks a bit weird in that the bevel had been done on both sides. Kind of hard to explain.

The little spacers add something interesting that breaks up what would otherwise be a chunk of quite plain wood. The leather is really nice because it looks natural, it's rustic and I like it like that. The wood is smooth but not overly polished, so looks practical. It's a quite plain wood that doesn't take your attention away from the rest of the knife.

Just my opinions.

Thank you, Chips. That is enlightening; certainly well thought out reasons.

I agree that the handle does not index well.

Much obliged.

Jim FBtE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE