Vietnamese knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I never have as much time to post on the forum as I'd like, however, I thought this was worth sharing.
I've accumulated a fair number of artifacts that have sat in my family over the years. I've rescued them from oblivion really; I attach more value to old and interesting objects than other people seem to.
Here's an interesting knife. I'm fairly sure it was acquired by a distant relative who served in the french military, in what is now Vietnam, but was at the time Indochina. This will have been in the early 1900s, possibly earlier.
The knife was in a poor state when I salvaged it. But I glued the sheath back together (bamboo?) and cleaned it. It was largely black with grime. The blade (17 cm long) was loose so I glued that to secure it. It's partial tang. A magnet suggests the tang extends to around just under a half of the length of the handle. I polished the blade and got it shaving sharp. Then I put it in a cupboard, forgot it existed, and found it again today.

I hope you are all well and in good health

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That's a lovely old blade. Looks like a really handy size too.

I hope you get it out in the trees and sunshine every now and then, looks like it deserves it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE