Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I used to have the PLCE chest webbing this is what I carried in it:

PLCEchestwebbing.png

I did have a Crusader canteen i think i remember it did fit but the lip stuck out a bit (not comfy).
I've got a feeling it was a tight fit too...dunno:dunno: but I prefered using the smaller slimmer US army bottle and mug.

I found it comfortable, but i think i felt it was a little un-adaptable for me. very little space for extra kit
you can add a pouch on the small bit of webbing belt at the side/rear.
or theyhave poppers on the left shoulder to fit a radio pouch, i got the pouch which i used to carry a "Amstrad" walkman in! (t'was a while ago!!)
quite cool because you could fiddle with the buttons without opening the pouch. it would also be good for things like a sat nav, or mobile phone.

disadvantages?
as it's sat on your chest you can't cool down as easily.
as i said, a space and changability of it.
you can't put much in your jacket chest pockets.
but you can adapt around all these things

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Slightly off topic but;

does anyone know where you can get 90 pattern utility and water bottle pouches from?

I have been searching for a little while and found none. Phoned endicotts the other day and they had none left in decent condition.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
yup, they have them i think.
as a guide the older surplus stores tend to have them, the newer stores catering to airsofters have pretty much fallen to DPM

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
problem sorted Kev at Endicotts phoned me yesterday, he has a secret stash of 90 pattern webbing. managed to get myself a few mint condition utility pouches

well i'm fairly new on here but i thought that surely the idea was to go out and have fun? if webbing works for you, great, use it, if it doesnt, or youre worried about someone calling the armed response unit then dont!jeez, if it makes you happy go out shirtless with a headband... i didnt think that there would be a bushcraft fasion police force, but obviously i was wrong... i use webbing for light trips and a big rucky for long stays away and have never had any problems from the public when wearing the webbing...
just get out there and enjoy whatever it is you do, sort your kit so it works for you and enjoy it. sorry, rant over now:rolleyes:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Youre absolutely right mate - dont get drawn in to this stupid dpm or not nonsense - whatever works and is affordable use it.
So far i have never found anybody crass enough to call anybody a wannabe just for hitting the woods with some ex army gear on.

cheers
Nick

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
So I've been skimming this thread looking for pictures on webbing and ideas, and now I'm seeing a real sh!^ storm has been brewing. I'm not going to bother going back and reading it all though.

I'm planning on trying out this webbing thing, so here's what I plan on doing.

buying this and using my own duty belt with wife made pad. Utilizing already owned pouches and making some of my own. Will be a real mish mash of kit, but the plan is that it will function well, and not involve a large cumbersome pack.

I'm on real limited funds, but have the basics already. Just need a harness.

To offset the looks I plan on chucking a lightweight jacket or jumper over the top of the harness, so it just looks like I'm wearing pouches. also easier to warm/cool without taking off all my gear.

I'll eventually come back to this thread with pics.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Hi,

i havent been writing into this topic but ive been reading with great interest,as i like all sorts of surplus stuff,from the older canvas packs to modern molle,etc modular stuff.I like to carry webbing/harness as well but here,we dont see too much of that stuff,except for german and us designs,and what ive been after is pattern 58(hope i get this right) harness info,as now it seems i could be able to get one,with about all the pouches at belt to the big pack on the backside.

Id be interested to know what sort of sleeping gear can be carried in the "bum roll"...is it possible to fit british basha and some fleece blanket in it?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
In the bum roll of the old '58 pattern webbing you get enough space to get the poncho in and that's about it.

When I went through training, we had to fit basha, wet proofs (teabags) and NBC suit in one bum roll. It is possible in the lines when the kit is dry and you use your knife from the issue KFS and some string to cinch the buckles together to fit the locking tab through, but once in the field it is impossible! Once the canvas gets wet, you're lucky to get wet proofs and basha in!

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
So I ended up with permanent loan of some second hand Aussie Army pouches and canteen/cup combo.

I'll be buying a harness soon, and getting my hands on a belt too so I can get my stuff in order and get into some hiking etc.

I'll have to refine my kit a fair bit, I have stuffed the rear pouch with a lot of gear and have my little bits pouch sorted.

is there somewhere that has a list of stuff people take for day trips?

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I tend to vary my load carrying ger, depending on what I plan to do, but always have a few belt pouches to hand for essential kit.

Sometimes I take my Maxpedition Sabrecat with me, sometimes it's my old faithful photographers vest. Sometimes a jacket will suffice. When I really feel sinful on an overnight, I take my all arms bergen (weirdly, I find it really comfortable to carry stuff in).

I used to have webbing, but personally found that it made me unstable (on my feet, not a description of my mental state), when really loaded up.

I wear a lot of combat trousers, lightweights and general camo, and wear assault boots every day, even for work. I've never yearned to be in the armed forces and am comfortable with the size of my tackle. If it works and it's ex-military, I'll use it, if not, I wont.

After reading the whole of this thread, I think that goes for most of the people here.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
the way I figure things, if its good enough for my government to give to my country's military, there is no way I am not going to feel comfortable relying on it.

Tough enough for them, tough enough for me

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
the way I figure things, if its good enough for my government to give to my country's military, there is no way I am not going to feel comfortable relying on it.

Tough enough for them, tough enough for me

Hate to burst your bubble here mate but just because its issued doesnt make it ninja kit. Issue assault boots, 58 ponchos (luckily we received the new DPM basha in the past few years), 2x PLCE sidepockets with yoke touted as a viable daysack, Norwegian shirts (cotton as a mid layer for cold weather?), the old cotton T shirts and thermals, issued fleeces (scratchiest collars in NATO, Softy/Buffalo much better), GS sleeping bags (warm as, but massive!), bivi bags (wheres the zip?), Silver Shadows, the list goes on.

Some issue kit is mega, other pieces of kit not so much. If all issue kit was mega then why would there be such a market in aftermarket/gucci kit? The issue kit does however give you a decent starting point (it will keep you alive and functioning) which you can then build upon yourself if you don't mind spending a bit of cash (as practically every squaddie does, although not so much now as they used to, issued kit has been improving).

As for a webbing packing list, in my PLCE I have the 2 double ammo pouches free for magazines and grenades, then 3 waterbottle pouches. 1 for a 58 bottle, metal mug and space blanket, 1 for team equipment that'll differ with your role within the organisation (PRC 354 usually for me), and the rear one for all manner of useful/survival gubbins - rifle cleaning kit and oil, hexi, coffee and a meal pouch from an MRE, windshirt in a waterproof bag, pot scrubber, spoon, candle, spare matches and loo paper from an MRE, spare bootlaces, button compass and wire saw etc etc etc, caffeinated chewing gum and energy gel, the list goes on. Stuff that I really need to have on hand everyday (i.e. RCK), stuff that I would really appreciate having on hand asap if something else broke (spare bootlaces, button compass), and stuff that might help keep me alive if I got lost/separated and had to make it on my own (hexi and meal, windshirt).

You should be able to keep going for 24hrs from beltkit and pockets alone (before you get into the realms of daysack and bergen), it is basically for fighting kit ('all you need for slaughter, is bullets and water') and a few essentials. But I'm guessing the magazines, grenades, PRC 354, rifle cleaning kit etc aren't too relevant to your needs, unless you go hiking in some pretty unsavoury places.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I agree with you there Iano, but I think I should clarify myself.

I don't believe issue gear is the best of the best. I believe that I couldn't destroy it accidentally. I also spend time and money on gear that is made in the private sector but aimed at the military. It is often cheaper than the stuff that is made specifically for the outdoors.

When I work on a budget, I get what I can get. I am happy that so far what I have is either military grade or better. I am comforted knowing that this stuff is not going to fail on my first outing or two.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
But I'm guessing the magazines, grenades, PRC 354, rifle cleaning kit etc aren't too relevant to your needs, unless you go hiking in some pretty unsavoury places.

Oh dear, not again...many have made the assumption that bushcrafters want to carry military gear in the pouches, we don't, we just use the pouches as...welll...pouches.
some military gear works really well and has suitable pouches (crusader gear for example) and ponchos/tarps.

it's just another way of carrying things, end of.:sleeping:

Last edited:

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I have sorted out a pretty decent first aid kit in the ammo pouch.

now I need somewhere else to carry the AK mags and flashbangs. Good thing I have BDU's.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just tried out a webbing set for the first time today. I found it comfortable, if a bit different, and I'd use it again, although mainly for day trips with light gear. For overnight, or bad weather, I'd want a pack.

For me it isn't a case of which is best, pack or webbing, or anything to do with looking military. Simply about choosing the best kit for what I want to do at the time. For a summer day walk, that means carry a water bottle, a waterproof, and some food. Webbing is good here, because I don't have to take off the pack every time I want a drink (I prefer a water bottle to a bladder).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE