Winter kit loaded and good to go- first tester of the kit pledge pic heavyish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
nice one bud looks like your going to have a fun testing time! can i ask what bells palsy is? oh and whats that wee knife you have there third one down looks a tasty wee nipper
At least MoT recovers from his Bells Palsy!
I took a blow to the side of the head during some martial arts sparring which resulted in a nerve swelling and crushing itself to death ... quite painful at the time!
The result is permanent paralasis of the left side of my face "chronic Bell's Palsy" and when I am tired everything slumps even more!
I use unaffected muscles to animate my face as much as possible but this leads to neck cramps when I sing/smile/laugh too much while eating/cold weather/fizzy drinks/hot drinks/winds etc all make my nose run and my left eye water. Uneven saliva production leads to dental probs, I often bite my lip as the damn thing flops around and my teeth are erroding fast as I chew gum to try and keep saliva flowing. When I get a cold the sinuses do not drain and I get lots of pain.
Worst though is my left eyeball is distorting due to lack of muscle tension in the orbit and I will be developping probs that will require expensive lenses to correct (at present I get away with £1 shop specials) currently my right eye does most of the work though..
If I get muck in my left eye it closes - but takes the right eye with it - so I have had to give up caving, lead climbing (all climbing realy) coasteering and walking on windy beeches and I have cut down on white water canoeing.
It is a good thing that I was never to pretty in the first place and that my wife loves me for more than my good looks!
The Palsey is most visible in photos and to young childeren (kids look at the whole face, adults at the right eye mainly)
I have had the Palsy for over 10 years now....

That is a nice loadout MoT!
Perhaps you need a few more sharps though....

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Great loadout, and thought-provoking pics. I also can't go into the woods without a pipe - the perfect accompaniment to bush tv. Good luck!

Ooh, kit. Very nice load.
Fancy people asking, why so many sharps, are there too many?
Will look forward to the pic of your setup camp when you're back.
Do you use a dry bag at all in the rucksack or is it fairly dry in there? I have one in my sabre and I find it a pain in the 'cough' but I like the reasurance of dry clothes and kit.

Ps look everyone I have a shopping list to work to :p
I have a couple of dry bags to store books and clothes. need one for sleeping bag

looking good Sam i like it a lot
cheers drew

I took a blow to the side of the head during some martial arts sparring which resulted in a nerve swelling and crushing itself to death ... quite painful at the time!
The result is permanent paralasis of the left side of my face "chronic Bell's Palsy" and when I am tired everything slumps even more!
I use unaffected muscles to animate my face as much as possible but this leads to neck cramps when I sing/smile/laugh too much while eating/cold weather/fizzy drinks/hot drinks/winds etc all make my nose run and my left eye water. Uneven saliva production leads to dental probs, I often bite my lip as the damn thing flops around and my teeth are erroding fast as I chew gum to try and keep saliva flowing. When I get a cold the sinuses do not drain and I get lots of pain.
Worst though is my left eyeball is distorting due to lack of muscle tension in the orbit and I will be developping probs that will require expensive lenses to correct (at present I get away with £1 shop specials) currently my right eye does most of the work though..
If I get muck in my left eye it closes - but takes the right eye with it - so I have had to give up caving, lead climbing (all climbing realy) coasteering and walking on windy beeches and I have cut down on white water canoeing.
It is a good thing that I was never to pretty in the first place and that my wife loves me for more than my good looks!
The Palsey is most visible in photos and to young childeren (kids look at the whole face, adults at the right eye mainly)

john it's cleared so far. I am pretty certain that one bout or another will stay with me.
I do have more sharps I could add but I don't think I can justify it
Nice outfit, Sam.

+1 for the Adirondack Wind Shed; one of my favourites too.
well impressed with it since I was shown jt

Great loadout, and thought-provoking pics. I also can't go into the woods without a pipe - the perfect accompaniment to bush tv. Good luck!
pipes just seem made for sitting by the fire. I blame nessmuk.....

Looking good to go! I like it, looks like you're def out to enjoy yourself, not do "hair shirt" bushcraft! Look forward to report.

Maybe you only have a short walk in, but personally, I would just take Woodlore and Laplander + maybe an SAK, ditch the rest of the sharps. Not much opportunity for major axe work in the bits of the UK I frequent.

I also sometimes use the Wind Shed..

Image29.gif

AdirondackWindShedFront.JPG

(Not my pic) I usually use a ridgeline across the front rather than hiking poles. Sometimes the back wall gets bowed in by wind so I guy that out too.

Attachments

• AdirondackWindShedFront.JPG
    AdirondackWindShedFront.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 5

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Sam, you're more than ready for a weekend out. With all that Sweet Kilarney, 2011 & 2012 Xmas blend as well as the Special Reserve I don't think I'd get too far from the fire at any stage! That's doing it in style...

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through

wow John thats nasty stuff never heard of that before just shows how sesitive nerves are! (as im now learning as they regrow under a huge scar i have). It's small things like that seem to always affect every other aspect of your life making it tenfold the pain and hassle.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Yep, I can't get enough of the gear layouts! Thanks for taking the time to photograph your kit and show it. What brand is the bottle & bag combo filter set? Is it available as a purifier or just a filter? Have a lot of fun on your outing. I look forward to your after action review.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE