Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have some Expensive Items my Bahco Laplander cost me £13 a folding saw from asda is £3 but after buying the asda saw and having it break on me I bought one that was a bit more of a higher quality Item, same as my axe, bought the cheap one from Argos, done the job, but it took a lot of work to get it sharp, and the sheath is non existant, when this one needs replaceing it will be with a known good quality one that has a sheath and comes sharp.

I have a kukri, a gift from a serving Gurkha soldier...I aslo have a cheap Mora Frost knife, razor sharp and a great peice of kit.

I personally think some times I need to spend a bit more on kit but the quality reflects this,

£35 for a honey stove (Which are great BTW) or free for a used bean tin, does the same job..... and as a bonus the lable added to my fuel.......

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
considering the controversy that webbing seems to be gathering, I thought I'd throw out a suggestion for an alternative that I've been seeing on other sites recently. a company called ribz http://www.ribzwear.com/ are producing a sort of vest type thing, that sort of wraps around your lower chest. I've seen comparisons to the US navy SV-2 survival vests (like this: http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchan...FHL&Product_Code=PRSV-SV2B&Category_Code=SURV)

advantage is, the vest looks less millitary, and more like something a canoeist or simmilar might use. you can even wear it under a jacket.

declaration: I have no link to either comapany linked to above. Ribz's products simply seemed like an interesting concept, while the other was found in a google search to find an example of the comparison drawn.

This is getting ridiculous!!
I've never been approached by a policeman or anyone else for that matter about what I have in my webbing.

really?
I think that I've heard the words "what's in you'r pouches/bat-belt/webbing/(insert alternative term for webbing kit here)?" more than any other spesific question (I'm ingnoring stuff like "what are you doing?" and "tea?")
including by a police man.
although to be fair, he was off duty.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I like it! goodjob

I like the survival vest idea I've tried it before but the small capacity has always been a problem for me.

looks like the Ribz would be good for stuff like food, keys, wallet, camera, hat gloves etc
not so great for mess tins and anything large or square. I'd like to see one close up!

I wonder where they got the idea? ;)

56867995hh1.jpg

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:lmao:no, I've never looked that thin! (i think he's an airsofter....definitely trying to look like a soldier!)

It was a comparison between ribz and chest webbing, and the irony that ribz are fulfilling a very useful purpose but actually seem very similar to chest webbing.

my point being chest webbing is a useful idea! even a civilian company thinks so!

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
It was a comparison between ribz and chest webbing, and the irony that ribz are fulfilling a very useful purpose but actually seem very similar to chest webbing.

I did chuckle when I saw they're doing a Camo version, only ten bucks more than the normal one as well!

Thing is, at what, £60 once you've got it over here, you would save your self a lot of cash going surplus.

Which I think is a BIG factor for a lot of people when they go surplus.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Johnboy, ive got a Vulcan,a sabre 45 and a sabre 80-130,and the side pouches, i was just liking the position of the ribz pouch's and design,and thought it would be handy when combined with a small pack, eg 35-45 ltr.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
yep ,i do have a few others aswell, in the loft but the ones mentioned(well apart for the 80-130 cant get used to it)are my main user's, ive thought about a long back plce in o/g but ive heard they are not to good without webbing as the belts on your waist not hips, and having had a back injury or two in a previous life ive always left buying one for that reason.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The Vulcan is a country mile better comfort wise and in every other respect than the PLCE offering... I've not seen a Sabre 80-130 just the old Karrimor Condor they were a well put together sack just a bit fussier than a Roc or Vulcan

I'd be inclined to save my cash rather than look for a PLCE bergen TBH.....

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep probably will, for comfort my old 20yrs ish karrimor 65l panther takes some beating (well for me personnley) and still going strong, built to last in them days.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Got to say here that my PLCE bergen is the best ive had on my back, and i do use PLCE belt kit when the fancy takes me. On grounds that a) its priced about right for my hobby , b) its serviceable & hard wearing and c) its designed to do the job.
I soldiered with 37 patt webbing in the early 70's then 58 patt and now (as a civvy) I use PLCE. every progression has been an improvement over the previous and as a result of 100 years R&D i think you need to go a long way to better it (especially for the money).
I never feel that anybody thinks me as anything other than a bloke using some army surplus gear (lets face it as a country weve had access to ex military clothing and equipment since the boer war - its nothing new or particularly strange to see people in all walks of life wearing or using surplus gear for all manner of things so why anybody would think to label bushcrafters in particular escapes me completely. To be quite honest I think that the accusations of 'Wannabe' are confined to within our own bushcraft community to those more socially sensitive 'Gear monkeys' and not to the public at large. I certainly have never heard an adverse comment and I wonder really how often it genuinely happens, not often I suspect.

just my 3 ha'pence worth

Cheers
Nick

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not a fan of chest webbing Aarn packs or the Ribz idea...but I do like a shirt with realy bit chest pockets, like the Arktis Hot Weather shirt and especially the 5:11 tactical shirt and TDU - they hold masses of "little bits" of kit comfortably, conveniently and discretely.
OK there is nowhere for your Hobo stove - but that is what your belt kit is for!
:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE