Bushcraft PLCE webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
so you're looking at offending serving TA servicemen too? :mad:

tread very carefully mate!

The point i was making was that I was issued webbing as part of my uniform so I did not need to look like a soldier, I was a trained territorial soldier (in the 90's not the 80's if you are going to try to offend me, get your facts right!).

please try to remember this is a thread about using a piece of kit! :(

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just to let you guys know how far it's gone:(, I had an abusive message from JonaJuna! on another forum!

again, I have to keep saying the thread it is about kit! :(

It's very sad to think we can't just discuss kit without some people resorting to personal insults!

perhaps it's time this thread is locked?

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
A question, with webbing, can you attach pouches to the chest section, which is part of the yoke?

I'm tempted to pick some up as I can see it being quite useful to me in the summer I'm going to be doing a lot of manual work in nevada, but I can see it being even more useful if I can use the chest area as well, it could be really useful when I'm out on my bike for longer trips for example, it's a complete PITA getting a drink or your phone or tabs or what ever in full bike kit.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the Yoke is the part that fits over the shoulders and down the sides of the chest.

I have seen ammo pouches that clip on to the front at chest height, but you'd have to chose a system with that compatibility, (Arktis can do this).
M670 Arktis Mini Rig Chest/Thigh Pad
AK-1727.jpg

another option is something like a vest which will have pouches in that area.

another option a radio pouch, modern radio pouches have a couple of options for attachment, belt or shoulder strap.

Arktis 1766 Radio Pouch DPM (W108)
1766.jpg

1766-Life.jpg

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Right ok, it wouldn't have to be a particularly large pouch.

I'm avoiding the vest idea, I just don't think it would do enough of what I want, where as webbing might not be able to do a small amount of what I want if you see what I mean.

When you say choose a system with that compatibility, what exactly do you mean? I take it picking webbing from which ever armed forces includes that provision?

I've been looking at endicotts, they seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Look at MOLLE equipment as well Like a strap and slider system. WIKI defenition of MOLLE
MOLLE (pronounced MOLLY as in the female name) is an acronym for MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment. It is used to define the current generation of load-bearing equipment and rucksacks utilized by the United States Army. The system's modularity is derived from the use of PALS webbing, rows of heavy-duty nylon stitched onto the vest as to allow for attachment of various MOLLE-compatible pouches and accessories. This method of attachment has become a de facto standard for modular tactical gear, replacing the click and stick system used in the earliest modular vest systems (which is still in use with most Western police departments). It is produced for the United States Government under contract by several contractors, such as Specialty Defense, Armor Holdings as well as Eagle Industries

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
When you say choose a system with that compatibility, what exactly do you mean? I
re check my last post i added photos.
compatibility? you'd have to have "D" rings in the right area on the yoke front, which most webbing systems have

Molle i can't really comment on as i've never used it but most people seem to like it because of the huge variety of kit you can swap around

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
That ammo pouch looks like it would do the job to me. I'm going to go with olive pouches if I can. I might give endicotts a ring tomorrow, they seem quite willing to help.

I will look into MOLLE, I've got a feeling it might be a bit on the steep side for me though.

okies fair dos, maybe i have been a bit harsh. i did not realise that hardened outdoor manly types would be so sensitive to some jibbing

btw, i drive a mondeo and am a male nurse, i hear jokes about penis size/gender role every day, i dont have a complex.... and im shooting blanks

im self aware but also self assured enough to not actually care if someone thinks i have a small penis, after all its only my wife that has seen it in the last 20 years (other than the doc and nurse at my snip) and she has always laughed at it

As a Nurse, I thought a fundamental part of that was accepting everyone was different in their opinions,beliefs, looks etc...and not to judge anyone based upon these....guess I was wrong.

Can I ask how long you served and in which Unit/Arm........ many of us here are still serving either as regs or TA, Now as a former soldier you too should understand after seeing our friends come home to rest instead of a pint, wht some of us may take offence..

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
As a Nurse, I thought a fundamental part of that was accepting everyone was different in their opinions,beliefs, looks etc...and not to judge anyone based upon these....guess I was wrong.

Can I ask how long you served and in which Unit/Arm........ many of us here are still serving either as regs or TA, Now as a former soldier you too should understand after seeing our friends come home to rest instead of a pint, wht some of us may take offence..

Be fair now, criticising somebody for wearing webbing as part o their hobby isn't really a dig at servicemen or women that have died in Afghanistan! I think you are taking it a bit far now! :rolleyes:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
I think maybe we should all take a break?

After all were just talking wee bags on a belt here eh?!

I dont want to point the finger at anyone, its not in my nature, and I wouldnt want to tell yan what to do. But the size of your gentlemans area?! May I remind you this is a family forum, am I the only one who thinks that its a little A. Immature B. Irrelevent?

Normally I would just steer well clear and nae bother. But im looking at buying some webbing at the moment, so I'de like to be able to get the normal quality of info, both for and against, without having to sort the good from the insults!

Lets take a moment and calm down.

Sam

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I've watched this thread grow. Watched Rappleby's posts and photos and thought they are quite good tbh.
As an ex-reg and a current serving T.A. trooper, i've found some of the comments highly hilarious.

What does it matter what anyone uses when out and about bushcrafting?
Aren't we all about using what fits us best? Where's all this snobbery come from because someone decides to use webbing instead of a ruck or bergen or "Proper Bushcraft Related Item"? Just because it's not ventile, goretex, or got Mr Mears' or Gryll's name on it or natural reindeer happy sack hide does not mean to say it doesn't work or it's wrong.

Rappleby and anyone else who uses webbing, if it works for you then so be it you seem happy enough with utilising what you know, to hell with everyone else ;)

Personally though, after using 58 pattern webbing, i have to say plce is alot better :lmao:. Memories of 58 getting drenched and adding a gazillion pounds in weight is giving me nightmare eebie jeebies :D

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Only on here though... Out in the real world, nobody seems to mind - or even notice.

Oooh, I dunno! I have no problem with what other people use, but I have heard plenty of comments when somebody has tuned up with a Rambo type knife with a compass in the handle or a cheapy tent, etc.

It seems that the ultimate irony is that bushcraft as a hobby is consumer driven. People spend a fortune on kit and courses when it should be possible with totally crap kit! I have some expensive items, they are part of the "uniform" I suppose but I didn't get it to fit in. I saw it as hard wearing decent kit fit for the use I needed of it. If other find webbing is for them, and it is obvious that quite a few do, then good for them. To say that they won't get jeered at behind their backs in the real world is a bit naive though, because there will be an element of people that will.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
same as I've been saying all along, it works for some people it doesn't for others, and it is usually misunderstood.
in time it might change, as the army use DPM/desert gear today.

Perhaps i should point out, the 2 webbing sets I use...

The Arktis webbing pouches have never been on issue to the British army!
Over half of the pouches, I have made myself! not exactly issue kit.

The SAS/58 "Frankenstein" webbing (as someone said once) is canvas stuff the army does not use any more! not in the last 10 years at least!
they are not common place pouches anyway.
to the average man on the street it probably looks "too old fashioned" to be issued today.

whilst I was wearing it I overheard a couple walking past:

Girl: (looking shocked/confused) "look at that, have you seen what he's wearing"?
Bloke: (after casually looking said) "That's OK, he can wear that if he wants".

I have no doubt what so ever that he doesn't own or want webbing!
if this is the general public opinion?
I'm totally happy :D

Last edited:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
To say that they won't get jeered at behind their backs in the real world is a bit naive though, because there will be an element of people that will.

I suspect that probably applies equally to all the other olive-clad, leaf-munching, stick-whittling freaks on here... ;) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE