Bushcraft knife directory and why use what you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Most of the time I cary a cheap red wooden handle Mora from Frosts as a backup. My preferred bushcraft knife is my BRKT snowy river and sice recently my wonderfull nessmuk by Carl Price.

124_2458.jpg

Michiel

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Helle Eggen (with one of rapidboy's sheaths) - recently purchased and very pleased with :) Have two more folders which i shall endeavor to put up; as they have been my main knives for years (until now lol)

Should have a rehandled Victorinox on the way too if all goes to plan...

441_4110_1a.jpg

Just noticed, this is my 100th post!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have started to document my thoughts on the knives I have and what I like/dislike about them... There are also some photos and I know how much we all like filthy knife photos :lmao:

www.lightningstorm.co.uk

Also, clicking on the larger images in the gallery at the bottom will pop up the full sized image... they really are full sized so please don't publish them without letting me know and if you make a profit you owe me beer :D

leon-1

I'll be honest on this, I have a lot of knives, made by many people, but the frosts clipper takes a lot to beat.

Yes there are better blades, but this takes a lot of beating.

Alan Blade has produced fantasic knives for my use, so has Gene Ingram (Gene I would recomend to anyone just for the way that he handled the deal with he and I), but there are many others out there.

BB is probably the way to go, but oce you have an idea it may be worth confronting BCUK to see what they have to say

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I agree with, you Leon. Yes, there are better knives out there than the ubituous $10 dollar Mora. But the fact is, they perform absolutely fantasically, considering what you pay for them. A Mora knife will a keen edge, hold it for an astonishingly long time, and sharpen up quite easily. And the best part? If you're rough on your kit like I am and you somehow manage to break a Mora knife, you won't have to worry about breaking the bank the buy a new one.

I admit, I'd love to have a custom made bushcraft knife. But I'd be too scared to take it anywhere incase I ruined it. Heck, it'd probably end up as a Drawer Queen!

Adam

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I tend to like larger knives than most. It may have something to do with the fact that I was given an 8" blade bowie for my 14th birthday and have simply become used to using a large knife. I will often use a Cold Steel Master Hunter
http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-master-hunter.html
or similar sized knife for what I consider "small" jobs like whittling and paunching rabbits, but I have been carrying and using a Fallkniven A2 for some time now and have been more than happy with it. It takes a wonderful edge, and it keeps it. The handle is big enough to be a comfortable fit in my larger than average hand too.
http://www.fallkniven.com/a1f1/a2_en.html
One of the things I like about a larger knife is the way I can use it for all the "normal" knife duties, but when I want to I can use it like a small machete or still have plenty of blade to play with if I want to use it as a draw-knife. Splitting a stick down to a knot I can use that as a handle for the tip of the blade whilst holding the handle with my other hand. This allows me to do some pretty accurate work with what some might see as a cumbersome, big, blade.

I've a feeling that I'll be leaving the A2 at home for a while now though as I have just finished making my first "All My Own Work From Scratch" knife, so I'll be giving that a good playing with instead. :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=16933

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use a Bison Bushcraft as my main knife. It's simple, not too big and hard as nails. Stands up to a lot of abuse and sharpens easily

I do have other "sharps" though and have enclosed a pic for those who are interested. As you may guess I'm a great fan of Leatherman tools !! :D

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
At the moment this is the one I'm using.

Gerber-Harsey-Hunter003.jpg

It's a Gerber Harsey Hunter.

Why? The price was right (cheap in other words). Quality is good. I like stainless steel. The handle grips well when wet. It's solid and full tang.

I was surprised that such a hefty knife came shaving sharp out of the box.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
sam_acw said:
They look like real users Mojfilter.

Yeah, they have had a bit of use! :D

falcon said:
What's the smaller one..?....make, dimensions, steel etc?.....looks like it could tell a story or two...

The smaller one is a Gene Ingram Slimbone in O1!

180mm overall, 75mm cutting edge, its the perfect small field knife! ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I took a while to reply 'cause I didn't have a photo of what I have been using this summer :rolleyes:
currentcarry.jpg

kydex1.jpg

Its a little bigger than most people like at 5". I do like cross draw, horizontal carry :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE