Bushcraft banned!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Granny might not have known if it was being waved in her face by a screaming terrorist. Guns, toy, replica or otherwise do not belong on board aircraft

Friend, It was being carried by an 8 year old not a turbaned Taliban mullah!!!

The Huffington link cited by Corso above proves that there are fools around. And since the Nuremberg trials "just following orders" is no defence to atrocity, negligence or plain stupidity

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
If we ever get banned from buying knives, most bushcrafters will just turn to their own communities and either make knives themselves (as many already do) and the rest of us will buy from those who can/do. Who's going to police what two bushcrafters swap in the woods? :rolleyes:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Friend, It was being carried by an 8 year old not a turbaned Taliban mullah!!!

Oh, that's all right then. The Taliban (I think you're getting confused with Al Qaida) would never use a child to carry it for them.

With hindsight, these sorts of situations are a bit ridiculous but security/airline staff don't have a lot of time to consider whether something qualifies as a toy or a replica firearm. In this case, better safe than sorry.

I can tell we are never going to agree on this and it's massive thread creep so if the mods want to close this thread, no complaints from me

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
There's been a number of occasions in the US when someone's gone postal and done pretty much exactly that.
So I'm suggesting that the cure of having all police armed isn't necessarily a cure at all.

That's a fallacious argument. Nobody is suggesting that the routine arming of the police would have stopped this happening. The police have to be armed. Only a policeman with a gun is in a position to stop a madman with a gun. So you have to have armed police. It's a given, nobody disputes that. The question is when do you arm them? Do you have a special group of policemen who can be called out after the fact and in response to a threat, or do you routinely arm all operational officers, so they are already armed when that threat appears? It is an absolute truth that having officers already armed, puts them in a tactically superior position, than having to wait for an armed response unit. There is no question or doubt about that. It is only for social reasons that we choose not to arm operational officers. The question therefore, is are your social reasons for not arming officer routinely, good enough? At what point does preventing loss of liberty, loss of freedom, loss of property and loss of life become more important than your social reasons? What exactly are you sacrificing in exchange for an unarmed police force? Ask the people of Croydon what they think.

Whatever your opinion, an increasing lawlessness and an increase in the ownership and use of illegal firearms, will inevitably result in the routine arming of operational officers. It has to. My point is, if we are not there already, we are heading towards it at breakneck speed.

This country is fighting a loosing battle against lawlessness and crime and the routine arming of operational police officers is as inevitable as the sun rising. It's all about when, not if.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like Tesco's in Merthyr Tydfil only the Americans are better dressed and generally fitter looking and you get firearms from a bloke in a van in the car park.

LOL. Not quite, At Walley World you buy the gun over the counter in the sporting goods section. The closest to buying from a van would be a Gun Show. The gun dealers (the legal ones) and a few private sellers (also legal ones) load their vans with merchandise from their primary shop and then unload it onto rented tables at the Gun & Knife show for a 2 or 3 day event. Rather like Market Day in a village or town.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Some of the American members of the stove forum are well into guns, NEVER mention gun control or you can feel the pins being pushed into a voodoo doll with your image on it. I like guns, FAC holder of handguns when they were still legal.

Talking about arming police in the UK well of course many already are firearms trained. Even in my little hick town I would be extremely surprised if a patrol car with a gun safe was not on patrol 24/7 or access to one close at hand. So really we do have armed police, the question is when do we allow them to carry them as a matter of course and do the police on the street want to carry them; some don't thats for sure.

As for carrying a knife on your belt in public? No, I am really against that certainly where I live as the local boys would take delight in sticking where the sun don't shine...your asking for confrontation whether from the police or feral locals. Just MHO.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I've seen those Bear Grylls knives, they come in that horrible hard plastic packaging, you're more likely to cut yourself on the packaging than you would the blade!* :theyareon

*Comments are entirely expressing my views and probably consist of complete biased lies!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've seen those Bear Grylls knives, they come in that horrible hard plastic packaging, you're more likely to cut yourself on the packaging than you would the blade!* :theyareon

*Comments are entirely expressing my views and probably consist of complete biased lies!

Hahahaha, though the one i played with came very sharp and held its edge well:p

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Some of the American members of the stove forum are well into guns, NEVER mention gun control or you can feel the pins being pushed into a voodoo doll with your image on it. I like guns, FAC holder of handguns when they were still legal.

Talking about arming police in the UK well of course many already are firearms trained. Even in my little hick town I would be extremely surprised if a patrol car with a gun safe was not on patrol 24/7 or access to one close at hand. So really we do have armed police, the question is when do we allow them to carry them as a matter of course and do the police on the street want to carry them; some don't thats for sure.

As for carrying a knife on your belt in public? No, I am really against that certainly where I live as the local boys would take delight in sticking where the sun don't shine...your asking for confrontation whether from the police or feral locals. Just MHO.

The areas of London I pass through you'll see more armed coppers than not...

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
There actually is a lot of gun control in the USA. There are cities that ban most all guns and cities that require elaborate permits for a gun and then only for certain people. On the other hand, there are places like where I live and we can have firearms on our person, openly or concealled, providing we can legally own that gun. Convicted felons and such cannot own a firearm, that's probably nationwide.
I can go shoot my guns at indoor ranges nearby or at outdoor ranges some miles away. If I want to drive enven further out in the wilderness, I can shoot my gun anywhere as long as I don't shoot over a road or from the road.

I guess 20 years in the military and having fired lots of guns in my lifetime, I just have little desire to go shoot any now. I own some, from six shooters and lever action "John Wayne" rifles to autoload handguns. I used to have a legally licensed machine gun with a 10 inch barrel, a M16A2 carbine, like an M4 without the Picanny rails. We can still own machine guns but it has to be one manufactured before May 1986, IIRC. Then you go through a whole government license process and you get a "tax stamp" for the machine gun and you can then own, shoot and carry the thing.

It would be hard to accept any other way of life. It seems so strange to hear that you can't own a handgun. I suppose you get used to that and accept it. Like I said, I never shoot mine, I just don't want to give them up either. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE