Bushcraft banned!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Martyn I think you are not totally right. The police in Cumbrian shootings and the paramedics too were told to keep away not through impotence but health and safety rules. The reason they did not go in to help the injured sooner was because thee gunman was potentially still in the area and their rules prevent them going directly into harms way. Or at least that is what I read in the local news and heard on local radio at the time and after it.

What was interesting after the Cumbrian gunman incident was an interview on local radio with a spokesman from BASC. He was arguing for tighter controls and inspection of legally held guns. He even said that he had told some people he'd visited who had stored guns leant against the kitchen cabinet that if he saw the gun kept like that when he next came he'd report them to the authorities. He said the problem was not people having guns but no means to report people acting strangely or who kept guns stored incorrectly. The guy was kind of advocating making it easier to get guns taken off someone. kind of different to previous arguments from BASC AFAIK. Kind of reducing their potential members arguing for thing like that.

Anyway, if you know anyone from the more dodgier estates of any town or city in the country I can guarantee that either they or someone they know will be able to get an illegal gun for you. It really is easy these days. I had a discussion on this with guys at work and there were a few people who said they could get hold of a gun in about 30 minutes and for something like £75 or less. The way they told me that was like nothing was wrong or unusual about that, such that I kind of believed them. Talk about renta-gun.

BTW the Cumbrian shootings was all about a guy who was unstable and had been so for a period of time such that you'd expect the authorities would have known about a gun holder being unstable. That was why the argument from the BASC guy was that we need a means of reporting people going through a crisis in some way and is unstable or shouldnt have gun access. People knew he was not right apparently. It totally freaked some friend I have who should have been in that area but had been called away at the time he was there. If not they;d have been right where he was, when he was there. A lot of people in that area know someone who was shot or who was right near where he was going around when he was shooting people. Never good when someone with guns goes off track like that. It is an unusual situation in thsi country that someone goes mental with a gun. Someone did that when I was at uni. He was in the gun club and locked people in the gun cabinet (walk in) and went off with several guns and rounds. he was a final year graduate who was under so much pressure and had been struggling. He snapped but due to gun access he became dangerous resulting in police with guns chasing him around the city. They are unusual events though.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn I think you are not totally right. The police in Cumbrian shootings and the paramedics too were told to keep away not through impotence but health and safety rules. The reason they did not go in to help the injured sooner was because thee gunman was potentially still in the area and their rules prevent them going directly into harms way. Or at least that is what I read in the local news and heard on local radio at the time and after it.

Do you think it would have gone down like that in the US? Or France? Or anywhere else really?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry Martyn you miss the point about Cumbria. They had no idea where he was. That was the result paramedics delayed going in to help the shot as they didn't know if he was around. I would seriously doubt there would be much different if dibble had guns as they still need to have the intelligence on where the nutter with the gun is. Even with a gun the nutter could get the drop on dibble so they need to know where he is before going in with guns or without. To do otherwise is putting dibble in danger beyond what the health and safety systems allow these days.

The riots were quite unusual in how the speed of them going off meant the officials were totally unprepared. That is an issue not the armed status of them. Besides in the main cities these days you;d be surprised at how many gun trained officers there actually are. I know in Livepool I've seen countless big volvo estate police cars with offices sat in it with the passenger gripping his sub-machine gun with a sidearm and flak jacket. There are more like this around than you probably know about. Certainly more than I know about.

Also if you think an armed officer in those riots would have been allowed to use their gun you are totally mistaken. It was a riot situation that needed boots on the ground not guns. An armed officer would not have done much good, certainly not on his own and I'm sure you;d not be allowed a whole line of officers threatening rioters with shootings in a riot. Besides if the officers all had guns the likelihood is that the bandits also get guns or at leas a few of them. An arms race could develop. What you going to do in the riot? Shoot people?? If you ever did I'm sure the rioters would sort their own guns out or at least some of them would. That would make the police guns more irrelevant.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do you think it would have gone down like that in the US? Or France? Or anywhere else really?
To some degree I do. There have been riots in those countries and th shootings by the police weren't that high. IIRC police all over use similar tactics once they get going that is.

As far as Cumbria goes they didn't know where he was. I seriously doubt police would want to go into a situation they couldn't be sure of. A shot person is either going to die or not. A police officer going to help with the gunman/nutter in the area is potentially going to become an obvious target.

Of course I don;t know police protocols in this situation and I'm sure you don't neither. They played both incidents (rioting and the Cumbrian shootings) the way the did because it was the way they operate. That is with few armed police and with the police safety a big factor too. not sure guns with all police helps much.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
IIRC, the taxi rank where he was shooting people was near a police station and at one point early on, they had him - or they would have done. But the real issue is, he had nothing to fear. He could have walked right up to a police officer and they would have no option but to run away or die. Same in London. The rioters had nothing to fear. The police were unarmed and outnumbered. The police may not have been given permission to open fire, but they certainly could do in self-defence. Being armed, brings a certain confidence and a certain civil obedience.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I must admit to developing a major desire to fire a gun myself. That sound bad but bear me out it isn't.

I work at a company which has a few people who used to shoot a lot before it became a real hassle to own and use a gun. The stories they have about what they got up to sounds good. Their talk of gear also interests me as I am a self confessed gear freak. I am probably more about the gear than the activity sometimes to my shame (like it has made my week tonight when I found a gas stove I had forgotten I even had!! Puts my stove count at 11 which sounds soo much better than 10!! :D). Stories about magazine size on their guns. One had what I took as a pump action shotgun with a magazine extension into double figures!!

Why not go and have a shoot? Its a great hobby! pop along to your local gun club (or shoot them an e-mail) - they will be delighted to welcome you along and teach you to handle a gun safely and responsibly and let you have a go - won't cost much more than the cost of the ammunition!

...oh and pump actions are for the slow shooters ;) Semi automatic is the way to go.....with a nice 11 shot capacity naturally...we have those here too :D

Great fun they are too....I would post up some pictures...but I fear "practical" shotgunning would be a tad off topic for this forum - but its a great sport and very safe and disciplined (but you do get to run through courses of fire knocking down targets with high capacity shotguns ;))

Red

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Besides if the officers all had guns the likelihood is that the bandits also get guns or at leas a few of them. An arms race could develop. What you going to do in the riot? Shoot people?? If you ever did I'm sure the rioters would sort their own guns out or at least some of them would. That would make the police guns more irrelevant.

That's exactly my point. If many more incidents like London and Cumbria happen, then I think the police will have little choice but to arm. You cannot allow innocent civilians to be terrorised in the streets and their homes like that, it's utterly unacceptable. But if the police do arm, then so will the criminals. If the police are armed and the criminals are armed, then the public will want to be also. As I said, it's lawlessness that is driving it.

"I support the routine arming of all UK operational police officers." Inspector Gadget.

I suspect he's not the only one.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I went to Wal-Mart today to purchase my hunting license for tomorrow's opening of Mourning Dove hunting season. In the sporting goods department, they have a selection of knives for sale on the normal sales aisle. At the point of display, there is a locking hanger/fixture for each row of knives. It requires the assistance of the sales associate to select a knife for purchase. Right next to these knives was a sign that read "If you are interested in purchasing a Bear Grylls knife, they are located behind the sales counter. Please ask an associate for assistance."

I did not inquire about the sign or the reasoning behind it. I do know that the price of the BG knives are similar to what is displayed; I do not think it is due to a more expensive product. I wonder why they are stored out of sight?

Gordy

PS - I think it is good to have the discussion seen in this thread. I enjoy my freedom to use my firearms responsibly. It is very much a way of life for me and my family.

@BR - I hear you on the semi auto shotgun, which I also use in Defensive Multi Gun. However, I cut my teeth on the pump and use it to similar quickness. :D

Last edited:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Could be worse...could be a "Hello Kitty" assault rifle. Now they would never.......

hellokittyak47.jpg

oh :)

QANTAS (the First World's Worst Airline) took a completely pink scaled down plastic M16 off my 8 year old. It could not go into the cabin.

Obviously some people would be traumatised by the sight of weapon.

Thank God that smart Irishman has decided to kill off the QANTAS brand and move the fleet to Asia

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
QANTAS (the First World's Worst Airline) took a completely pink scaled down plastic M16 off my 8 year old. It could not go into the cabin

There is a fine line between replica firearm and toy. They did the right thing. If you could spray paint an MP5 pink and say "Oh, it's a toy scaled down AK47" and get it on board there would be something very wrong with the world. Airline/security staff aren't necessarily trained in weapons identification so better safe than sorry

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To some degree I do. There have been riots in those countries and th shootings by the police weren't that high. IIRC police all over use similar tactics once they get going that is.

As far as Cumbria goes they didn't know where he was. I seriously doubt police would want to go into a situation they couldn't be sure of. A shot person is either going to die or not. A police officer going to help with the gunman/nutter in the area is potentially going to become an obvious target...

Regarding the riots, you're more or less right. At least here. There wouldn't be a lot of police using deadly force other than in self defense against deadly force; however their would have been considerably more non-lethal weapons employed (water cannons, chemical grenades. rubber shot, etc.)

Regarding the response to an active shooter, that's quite another story. Emergency medical and fire personnel would normally not enter into the area until it was secure true enough. BUT! The police are quite different. That's exactly what we are paid to do. If the shooter is barricaded and actively firing then yes we would wait until we had enough firepower to root him out (and it would be there rather quickly usually) But just because his exact location is unknown would stop nothing; in fact it would spur greater speed to lock down the area and go in to actively search for him.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is a fine line between replica firearm and toy. They did the right thing. If you could spray paint an MP5 pink and say "Oh, it's a toy scaled down AK47" and get it on board there would be something very wrong with the world. Airline/security staff aren't necessarily trained in weapons identification so better safe than sorry

There are actually real firearms over here that come pink from the factory to target the female market. But from the airlines point of view it really doesn't matter if a gun is a toy or real; it could still be used to menace (threaten/bluff) the crew or anyone else who might believe it was real.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Firing guns is fun. So is driving fast. Both can be abused and dangerous but in the right place there's nothing wrong with them

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

There's been a number of occasions in the US when someone's gone postal and done pretty much exactly that.
So I'm suggesting that the cure of having all police armed isn't necessarily a cure at all.

BOD

No way could that toy of lightweight pink plastic be mistaken for a real M16 or MP 5. You forget these things are also scanned. Granny would have known it is a toy

Just a lack of initiative on their part.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No way could that toy of lightweight pink plastic be mistaken for a real M16 or MP 5. You forget these things are also scanned. Granny would have known it is a toy

Just a lack of initiative on their part.

Granny might not have known if it was being waved in her face by a screaming terrorist. Guns, toy, replica or otherwise do not belong on board aircraft

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE