Bushcraft banned!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
"The solution to the problem, is to ignore it, or to laugh at it because it's a non issue. The danger comes when people start taking this nonsense seriously. What next? A permit to carry a sharp stick?"
A POINTED STICK!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w

The particular point raised by the first post in this thread is a non issue. Some shop somewhere is selling Bear Grylls Gerber parangs at a discount! It's hardly going to lead to a ban on bushcraft tools. It just means that those people that wanted one of these parangs, now doesn't have to spend as much. Well, it would if we knew where this shop was and what it was called.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
I reckon what they should do is bring out a fix blade licence and lock knife licence! along the lines of you pay so much each year to allow you to use a fix blade and carry one as long as you have a valid reson to and a safe storage place. Kinda like a shotgun licence! If your ever checked, all you have to do is present your licence card and have a reson for carrying it! Ie, work use! If you dont have a licence, you dont have a knife! simple... And all the money each year goes towards fighting knife and gun crime! obviously 3" and under non locking blades would remain legal..

Good idea???... :confused:
Assuming that you are not joking....ridiculous.We have to put up with enough government legislation in our lives without suggesting more.How about a hammock tax aswell?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Assuming that you are not joking....ridiculous.We have to put up with enough government legislation in our lives without suggesting more.How about a hammock tax aswell?

I think what was in the OP's mind was that having a permit would bring carte blanche to harry a knife. If you get stopped, flash the permit and get a "oh, rightyo, sorry to bother you sir". That would never happen even with a permit.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Gun Laws in England have not stopped Illegal guns......

They haven't stopped them here either. The restrictions Wizard mentioned on machine guns and outright gun bans in certain cities only effect those of us who obey the law.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I used to have a legally licensed machine gun with a 10 inch barrel, a M16A2 carbine, like an M4 without the Picanny rails. We can still own machine guns but it has to be one manufactured before May 1986, IIRC. Then you go through a whole government license process and you get a "tax stamp" for the machine gun and you can then own, shoot and carry the thing...

I don't remember the actual cut-off date but 1986 sounds about right. It's actually more restrictive than that though. The machine gun not only has to be manufactured before then, but it also has to have been registered as civilian owned before then.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I can go shoot my guns at indoor ranges nearby or at outdoor ranges some miles away. If I want to drive enven further out in the wilderness, I can shoot my gun anywhere as long as I don't shoot over a road or from the road...

Don't you just love "Open Range?"

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Animals have different vision to us.
Makes it safer when people are out with rifles.

Yup, most creatures see in monochrome, you could be wearing day glo pink or green and they wouldn't know the difference. The key is the disruptive pattern to break up any large areas.

Army camo is to stop you being seen by the baddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup, most creatures see in monochrome, you could be wearing day glo pink or green and they wouldn't know the difference...

Most MAMMALS at any rate. Birds are another matter. Bright colors also are not a good idea when saltwater swimming (they attract sharks)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've read somewhere that if you approach deer on horseback they only register the herbivore quadruped and ignore the rider

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've read somewhere that if you approach deer on horseback they only register the herbivore quadruped and ignore the rider

They usually don't pay any heed to motor vehicles unless they stop. I suspect it would be the same on horseback but I'm sure they'd catch the scent of the omnivore in the saddle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE