Bushbiking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Not sure where this belongs - whether it's transport related, kit chatter or this is the right home.
Anyway.
I know a number of people on this forum combine bushcrafting/camping and cycling - I know I do. So I was wondering if anyone had one of those cycle trailers. And, if so, what are they like. I was thinking from the perspective of actually having to pull that extra weight and also how 'off-road' they are. Normally if out bushbiking I only take a 35L sack - my thinking is that the more I take the more I have to lug about.
But I suppose if you are cycling on roads and stopping at campsites then having to struggle with all that extra weight off road is not so bad?
Thoughts and experiences gratefully received...

I've got one; used it the most recently the other day to pick up a nice bit of cut tree trunk for a new chopping block. And that's really what it's most useful for-carrying stuff that is far too big and heavy to carry on a bike. It does dip and bob a little as it rides along behind you, and you can feel that as almost like touching the brakes, quite a noticeable resistance. It would be really annoying for touring/riding a long distance.

For bushcrafty cycles, I like an old-style Carradice Camper longflap saddlebag. Carries a hammock, down sleeping bag and pot with no trouble. The bike doesn't even need a rack and handles well off road with this setup.

Cheers,

s.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, cheers. I thought it would be like that.
I saw someone with one the other day and it got me thinking. Although, now I think about it, he did look like he was struggling with it.
I do have panniers but I don't use them. That's because I know I'll also take the rucksack as well which means I'll be carrying extra weight, and weight strapped to the bike always seems to weight more than weight strapped to my back. That may be purely psychological but, in real terms, it's just as real to me.
I'll stick with the rucksack.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I do use a trailer for shopping and it is quite different from normal cycling. One of the things it teaches you is that cadence is really important, otherwise it will shove you forward as you drop off the power and tug you back as you put the power back on - as you spin the pedals that is. Funnily enough I heard a bike behind me this morning as I got in the car - could hear the swoosh, swoosh of knobblies on tarmac and sure enough when I looked round he was out of the saddle, pushing down on each pedal in turn - that would not be fun with a trailer reacting to the change in power levels!

I'm not sure what that would be like off road where the power is going to really vary from moment to moment. They do recommend the single wheel trailers for off road - I can't really imagine getting a two wheeled like mine down anything smaller than a tow path!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm just getting back into/ onto my bike thanks to getting a new mtb. I'm on the verge of going properly off road but i really wouldn't fancy having a trailer dragging behind me. If I didn't have a car I'd get a trailer for doing the shopping and that'd be about it.

I went to a friends the other day for a birthday party and put my main kit (hammock, pots, sleeping bag etc) in my rucksack to see how I'd do with it. I ended up cycling home from the party (across the forth bridge at 2 in the morning :)) the kit was fine and easily manageable so I reckon I'll stick to that until I can get some decent panniers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE