Ripstop Nylon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jtkirkland

Dec 11, 2014
Coastal Georgia, United States
I've bought 10m of Ripstop Nylon parachute material. I was wondering if anybody had made anything out of this material before and looking for ideas of what to make. I'm definitely going to be making some liners/dry bags and I was also thinking about making a 3m x 3m tarp. The material is so lightweight I think it would be ideal. It will need waterproofing, however. I was thinking of getting some Fabsil.

Thanks.
This is a great tutorial for lightweight tarps...

Reactions: Dan00001

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've bought 10m of Ripstop Nylon parachute material. I was wondering if anybody had made anything out of this material before and looking for ideas of what to make. I'm definitely going to be making some liners/dry bags and I was also thinking about making a 3m x 3m tarp. The material is so lightweight I think it would be ideal. It will need waterproofing, however. I was thinking of getting some Fabsil.

Thanks.
I was speaking to a guy who was in the Rhodesian Light Infantry and they used to make sleeping bags out of old parachute material. More as a barrier against the cooling breeze at night and to keep bugs off him as warmth wasn't too much of a problem. The soldiers used to keep them stuffed in a pouch on their webbing or tied to top of their pouches. Maybe make one as a sleeping bag liner for UK use?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
While polyamide ("Nylon") is tougher than polyester due to much greater breaking strain it's main drawback is sensitivity to UV radiation. Not that it falls apart instantly but noticeable faster than polyester, have seen that on old glider parachutes. The other negative feature is that it absorbs a lot of water.

But still it can serve on a lot of applications quite well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE