Brockwell Woods Meet - March 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff lads

Red wine out of a crusader, proper 'shrafter, nice one Stu :) How's the head mate ? :D

Hope to make it to the next one

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Great stuff lads

Red wine out of a crusader, proper 'shrafter, nice one Stu :) How's the head mate ? :D

Hope to make it to the next one

head is bad Rich mate,...,...i slept like a baby but still so tired,.....

yeah i saw the wine in my cup but i dint even take red wine ,..?...hahaha it must have been a donation from someone,....i think Mark was topping me up so he could take advantage,.....

yes mate you should deffo try for the next one,...

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cracking weekend. Really enjoyed it. Would have liked to see the bow drill, but there's always next time. Just an observation, but you're all nuts. Prolly just as well as it would have made for a dull trip otherwise.

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
Just looked at the video footage from sat night, :yikes:

Wont be doing anything with it apart from using it as blackmail!!
Thats right Stu, you better get working on a top notch knife for me or that video is going public! and dunt evan staart or al get ar Jud on thee!

great weekend fella's, highlights were definitely making my new leather cross draw sheath, MASSIVE MASSIVE thanks to rich for all his patience with me on that! Will post some pics eventually!

And also Marks goonies impressions! best laugh for ages :)

Joel

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Cracking weekend. Really enjoyed it. Would have liked to see the bow drill, but there's always next time. Just an observation, but you're all nuts. Prolly just as well as it would have made for a dull trip otherwise.

no probs mate, will do it the first day next time so people can have a go.......

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for sharing the pics of the weekend meet!

Mark - "Old Wonky" is turning out very good! You now have to keep posting the progress and let us see it through completion. :D

Master Raikey - You could use a "personal protection crew"! If you'll split the air fare with me I'll watch your back but not like Mark, though! :rofl: :tapedshut :rofl:

lannyman8 - Chris, you certainly have the "field expedient" forge down to an art! Nice job. Big ups to you for organizing the meet and sharing your knowledge / skill with those willing to learn. Well done! I like the "bushcrafting" shirt.

Rancid Badger - John, what is the soup / stew you made?

Great turn out and I am glad y'all had a fun time.

Gordy

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic picture, I'll get mine up tonight

Had a great weekend was really good to see people again and a few new faces. As soon as I got back it was knife in the oven to temper it and now have started to clean it off

Stu, the photos of the DPM Bivi are Mozz, when you were tryin to take covert picture of him

Looking forward to the next one

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Really good to meet a few new faces. Was a great weekend and the weather was kind too. My lad thoroughly enjoyed it and now wants to sleep in a hammock in his bedroom!!! Big thanks to Rich for making the little Opinel sheath with him he is soooo chuffed with it I think he wore it in bed last night.

So it looks like I am going to have a regular companion now and looks like its going to cost me a few quid......

Thanks to Chris for arranging it.

And just a big thank you for eveyone been so friendly it can be a bit intimidating for an 11 yr old doing stuff like that and he said he felt really at home.

Brilliant!!

Andy

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Big thanks to Rich for making the little Opinel sheath with him he is soooo chuffed with it I think he wore it in bed last night.

And just a big thank you for eveyone been so friendly it can be a bit intimidating for an 11 yr old doing stuff like that and he said he felt really at home.

Brilliant!!

Andy

A real pleasure:) Glad he enjoyed it.

Thanks to everyone it was a great weekend, met a few new faces and a few old ones again.

Can we book the same weather for next time???

Rich

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
What a great weekend! Many thanks to Chris for putting it together.

As others have said, it was nice to put some faces to names.

I just need to sort out my time machine now so I can spend more time doing this stuff!

Cheers,

Al

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Just looked at the video footage from sat night, :yikes:

Wont be doing anything with it apart from using it as blackmail!!
Thats right Stu, you better get working on a top notch knife for me or that video is going public! and dunt evan staart or al get ar Jud on thee!

And also Marks goonies impressions! best laugh for ages :)

Joel

tha nowt burra derty twister thee,...

what type of handle do you want mate?...hahahah

+1 on Marks perfect Sloth impression,....classic,....

rancid badger

Well I have to say I was delighted to pop along and join in,even if it was just for a few hours on Saturday. It really was a breath of fresh air and a chance to meet both familiar and new faces.

I thought I'd taken a lot more pictures, particularly of the "Klondike Camp" ( aka: pikey central;) ) but I mostly ended up with pictures of crayfish, slowly going pink!

anyway;
This was the "Klondike Camp" down the bottom end, next to the stream, the residents committee were meeting to discuss various social and domestic issues.

-brockwellresized.jpg

Meanwhile, there was a curious brew on the go;
P3190074.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what was in there, other than water and carboniferous residue but it was soon bubbling away merrily.

The more you looked, the more tarps appeared. I was sure I'd taken photo's of the wider camp but apparently not:(
copyresizedbrockwell.jpg

Anyway,after a while; I wandered off to find the "top camp" and eventually came across a much more civilised, if draughty set up;)
P3190058.jpg

Black Sheep, doing an impromptu leather working class;

P3190046.jpg

P3190044.jpg

Then the fire was getting smokey and smaller so we set to, with saw, axe and kukri!
P3190053copymeal-1.jpg

I managed to split a fair old bit of birch, pre cut by Al and never even came close to removing any body parts, though I have taken to using a kevlar glove, just in case. I had to give it up as the injurcated thumb started putting like a steam hammer:eek:

Nevertheless; there was soon a good stock of split birch, ready to go on the fire, as and when needed:campfire:
P3190057.jpg

The big fireplace is a permanent feature of this section of the wood, not something built by the lads.

apologies to all but apart from Richard and Al, I can't remember any buxxers names! well other than Chris of course.

It was nice to see Ike looking fit and spritely, after his hip operation, you'd hardly think he was 70 odd!:dancer:

That's my 2 penneth, looks like you all had a cracking time!

best wishes to all

Steve;)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
nice one steve and nice to meet you even if you could only stop a few hours

how posh was the top camp lol

not like use rag tag bunch of pikeys should of heard the craic after the drink started :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE