Brew kits.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
I've been thinking of this for a while what does everybody use for making a brew when just out for a walk? I have a small stove that i use sometimes and obviously fire if i can but i was looking at the honeystove because it just looks well thought out but then it has to cool down before packing up and moving on. I also just tried using the hexamine blocks in tin foil then the cup is rested on stones as a pot support. Post pics if you can and explain your favourite way to get a brew on the move.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I use a honey stove and find that it's generally cool enough to pack up by the time I've had me brew :) No pics I'm afraid but there's some very arty ones in the 'Honey Stove on tour' thread...

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
my dad has always raved about kelly kettles but i tend to like things that are more versatile but it's always good to have everybodies views :) and i might start one about home brew at some point when i get around to making some more.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I use many differant brew set up's sometimes its the crusader set up and hexi's, sometimes the honey with wood/and sometimes with a trangia,(honey cools down really fast after both) sometimes use Swedish mess tin set but use a whitebox stove instead of issue burner as white box is alot faster,sometimes use my hobo stove,sometimes my swiss volcano with a meth's burner( i boil water in the bottle not the cup) and occassionly use my coleman gas burners, basically if your only wanting something for a quick brew most will do but some are alot quicker than others, the honey and either some wood or a meth's burner will give you some good options and a couple of differant set ups.

Pics as requested,
moresnow004.jpg

satout2day027.jpg

out2daymk1001.jpg

002.jpg

smockcrus011.jpg

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have a hexy cooker and dixies (mess tins) out of habit for longer walks/overnight walks usually. Not very bushcrafty or green I know, but you use what you're used to.

For day long bimbles out in the cuds I have;

A wee half pint pot with hanging wire (it's at least 40 or 50 yrs old and was my late Gran's) and "S" hook.

Inside this is kitchen scrubby, cotton wool, mini vaseline tub, flint and steel, coffee/sugar mix, teabags.

I also have a small tin of old "dried up" Kiwi boot polish on top - a wee lump of this helps now and again if the fire is struggling/I'm struggling.

It's smaller than a flask, probably about the same size as an insulated mug.

I usually have a bag of old pine needles/beechmast, tinder, and kindling.

Oh, and keep the thrown away tails/outer skin of cibeys/spring onions/onions/garlic from your kitchen - once dry I add them to my tinder bag.

Finding my tinder bag in the dark has never been a problem for some reason!!

:)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If we're just talking about brewing up then my KK wins everytime. It boils faster than most stoves and it's a good excuse to get smokey. They're not much kop for anything else though.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Little Kovea Titan Camp 3 gas stove, Primus windshield & titanium pot. Everything fits inside.

1zq3rky.jpg

Quicker than a fire/Honey Stove (although I do love my Honey Stove!), no mess, no having to collect fuel, etc. One small cannister lasts for ages and, if you forget your matches, there's a piezo lighter built into the stove burner.

2quoi75.jpg

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
The Kelly Kettle every time. I have the smallest one.
I carry some kindling and 6 to 10 pencil sized sticks from home in the chimney if the weather is damp (or some pine cones that I collected on my last walk, dried at home).
It boils in a couple of minutes.
Brillant, easy and fast.

Rod

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have a Mi Ti mug in the side pocket of my bush bag with a nalgene in it.
Along with a pocket stove in the bag it makes a nice brew.
I have a couple of folding plastic cups in the bag too and a few sachets of hot chocolate.
Ideal for making a quick brew for SWMBO and me when it's a bit nippy.

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
that swiss army gel cooker looks brilliant just for a quick brew with a little stainless steel mug i have, the ones with folding handles? thank you for showing me all of your kit it's all great

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I take various different stoves depending on what I'm doing.
The Honey stove is good and will have cooled down enough to pack away by the time you're finished. But I only tend to use such things if I'm going to be there for a while.
If I'm just on the move then I use a small gas stove - nice and quick and no cleaning!

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I pondered this one two years ago in France, I wanted a ditch bag or a drag or jump bag (see LRDG). Basically the means of doing a quality brew fast anywhere. Eventually I came up with a gasmask bag which houses the following items.
Jetboil/ with coffee press
spare canister
LMF steel and striker - the auto igniters are crap - rip them out and replace with a dedicated steel, much better and multi- purpose.
Spork
4 folding cups
Guyot designs SS water bottle 1L
Coffee, Tea, Chocolate etc.
Optionally I add my Ti mug which nests around the water bottle.
This weighs very little can be slung under the passenger's legs if travelling by car or over the shoulder if walking. No mess, no fuss - job done!!

I did 5 miles with a mate last weekend and you wouldn't know you were carring it. Used it down the coast on New Years - some other guy was using a thermos, another a kelly and making a lot of smoke, we brewed we drank and we carried on.

Hope this helps
Stephen

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've got a range of cookers and brew kits. Trangia + or - the omnifuel, Svea 123, White Box Alcohol stove, Honey stove, Swiss Army Trangia etc. etc.
At the moment, my preferred brew kit is a thermos flask of hot water, a sachet of hot chocolate, a sachet of Latte and a pack of noodles. Why make it complicated?

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
sorry but i dont bother with lots and lots of differant bits of kit or trying out new ones i use a simple hexi fire and if i want any thing bigger heat wise its a proper fire for me. I do use a gas stove but only when i can leave it in the car, and ontop a pair of mess tins and a tin cup, best ever piece of kit I have ever used was a metal paint pot they are properly made jobbies for painters

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57408/Decorating-Sundries/Decorating-Sundries/Metal-Paint-Kettle-2Ltr

yes i know everone will run away but hear me out , they are very light wieght are un treaded, ie no galvanisasion coating and have a hanging handle where mess tins dont every thing gets thrown inside it and you can hang it over a fire so plus points all the way and lastly the two main bloke points firrst it is only £5 to buy so very cheap outlay and secondly when i have sat on it and flatened it i can beat it back into shape with a rock!!!! try one they are great thing , easy to clean will a brillo pad aswell very very great bit of kit for a few pounds they are cheaper at tool station

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the ritual of a brew up. The Crusader cup - with a lid and a windshield and either a basic hexy stove (with the special cut out like a dolly's chunder box), Crusader cooker and esbit or just a fire work for me. Can't be bothered with all the faff of "pump & fail" stoves or the "will it run out?" gas option

Longer trips I'll use a Tatonka alcohol burner and stand and a small billy - but the cup is all I need for a day walk

2427653259_d2310c1abd.jpg

3261732452_b2b870eb50_o.jpg

570231418_5624902c89.jpg

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE