Brew kits.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've got a range of cookers and brew kits. Trangia + or - the omnifuel, Svea 123, White Box Alcohol stove, Honey stove, Swiss Army Trangia etc. etc.
At the moment, my preferred brew kit is a thermos flask of hot water, a sachet of hot chocolate, a sachet of Latte and a pack of noodles. Why make it complicated?

Because you run out of water and brew kit! With a stove you can still boil located water and put natural ingredients to make a tea/coffee or at least drink the water.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Because you run out of water and brew kit! With a stove you can still boil located water and put natural ingredients to make a tea/coffee or at least drink the water.

'Scuse me sweetheart, but if I'm not mistaken the title was something about what you use for a dayhike in Kent not an expedition to the North Pole:rolleyes:

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
It used to be honey stove and crusader all the way but now I only take it if i will be out all day.

If its a short walk say a couple of hours, I really can't be doing with the faff so I just take a thermal mug/flask which fits niceley into one of those snugpack response pack things.

I've fitted an old clip on shoulder strap from an old bag as I can't get used to wearing a bumbag. This set up works out niceley as I get everything else I could possibly need for a short walk, SAK, Bino's small guide book and a camera without lugging a big old bag around.

DanDan

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
Well I don't have a brew kit yet, but its next on my list and this has been a great thread for comments and ideas. Thanks all.

goodjob

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im lucky in that im a chef and can get as meany A10 bean tins (big ones) as i like. ive just started the idea i have yet to try it out.

all i have done is cut the tin top and bottom off then slit down the side all the way so it will roll up and fit inside another tin.
ive put some holes in the bottom end for air inlets (drill or nail). all you do is light your fire in the stove tin and set another tin on top as cooking pot.

it fits inside the cooking pot along with any brew kit etc and when its a bit old bent nackered chuck it in the recile bin and get a new one job done.....

the best thing is you can use any size tins awsome.......

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Bushbuddy for me. (That's not a lonely hearts ad!:rolleyes:)

Quick to set up, uses very little fuel and cools down by the time I've finished drinking the tea.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bushbuddy for me. (That's not a lonely hearts ad!:rolleyes:)

Quick to set up, uses very little fuel and cools down by the time I've finished drinking the tea.

Yeah baby...

26Apr200913.jpg

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
For a quick brew for one, for me it's Swiss gel stove (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SWISS-ARMY-GE...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item518e0e97a1) and crusader cup covered with some tin foil.

For two I'd use a Swedish army trangia to boil the water.

just tying this in with another thread, these swiss gel cookers work perfectly with either the cheap Go Outdoors metal mugs or you can boil up ur water in one of those lovely new Glogg bottles, either way they are great

DSC00050.jpg

Bushcraft

Just a quick thought about the gel cookers, once the gel has been used up, (about four or five brews) then you can refill them with just about any solid fuel. I have used hexy and firelighters in it to great effect.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2007
nairn
A metal mug on my water bottle and a RedBull tin meths stove with a tinfoil wind break. The stove small bottle of fuel and wind shield fit in a childs sock as a stuff sack

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just a quick thought about the gel cookers, once the gel has been used up, (about four or five brews) then you can refill them with just about any solid fuel. I have used hexy and firelighters in it to great effect.

and if you have access to a cash & carry they do catering size packs of gel refill for use with warming plates, which is relatively cheap.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
I use a wilkinsons stainless steel tea tin, a windsheild made of beercans and a deodorant can meth stove i got off conall. Weighs next to nothing. Cost about £2. Works like a charm :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Wow, I cant believe people take all this hardware out with em when they're just out for a walk.

For me, the jetboil wins hands down, it's convenient, light, compact, stable, efficient, fast, easy and clean. Not a very aboriginal way of making a cup of coffee, but the coffee tastes the same. ;)

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Wow, I cant believe people take all this hardware out with em when they're just out for a walk.

I believe the PC term to use for this is 'personal choice' but I know what you mean...

For a day walk I have a well abused Vango 0.75L flask thats seen better days but still keeps water hot..

Like Martyn I'm a Jetboil PCS fan fill it with water light it and very few minutes later there's a brew on and it's very miserly with gas also. Although i do seem to go through Piezo units at an alarming rate....

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
can i just say that i was asking people opinions on what they would take for a whole day walking. I should also have clarified in the initial post that quite often a little walk can turn into an overnighter for me so all of these systems are brilliant.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I use a foldable Esbit stove and a small pot/mug with lid to make a soup or some tea.
This usually in winter, when even a 3-hour hike will contain a brew-up, just because it feels so good to sit in the wood and sip a hot beverage.
221207009_cr.jpg

121107009_cr.jpg

Last edited:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I've been thinking of this for a while what does everybody use for making a brew when just out for a walk? I have a small stove that i use sometimes and obviously fire if i can but i was looking at the honeystove because it just looks well thought out but then it has to cool down before packing up and moving on. I also just tried using the hexamine blocks in tin foil then the cup is rested on stones as a pot support. Post pics if you can and explain your favourite way to get a brew on the move.

Mate,

The Honey stove is my favorite and its exactly what I take when hiking - with a trangia meths burner.

3859659984_174be5abb5.jpg

As for the cool down period. By the time you have snuffed the burner and poured your water it will be cool. Even with a fire in it, cools down in under 30 seconds.

Mike

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Primus Express with an Antigravity gear 3 cup pot (much lighter than any titanium pot despite being made out of aluminium).

Of course on a dayhike I never take a brew kit as a small thermos full of hot chocolate suits me just fine. I don't really have time on a day hike to stop for a boil up, I'm too busy moving on to the next quality view (in the Lakes so theyre around every corner). I guess I don't fit in here as much as some because I prefer to reduce weight and on a dayhike when my sack weighs 600g and I barely fill it in order to save weight then a brew kit is not an option, I'd prefer a spare hat or something instead.
BTW Kelly Kettles on a day hike? A bit heavy aren't they? What else do you carry, a kitchen sink? Actually you can get a folding sink that weighs less than 100g so not that stupid on a simple day hike. Of course if you have a metal cup and means to light a fire then that's light enough for me for a brew kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE