Boat building

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
A little wile back, I posted a message where I mentioned I was building a boat. Someone said: no pictures? It's not happening....or words to that effect.

So...I'm building a boat, and here are some pics!

DSCF5773_zpsb31500af.jpg

DSCF5772_zps6278a180.jpg

DSCF5771_zps64fee725.jpg

The boat will be 36 ft long by 10 ft wide. She ain't no fine yacht though. She's a big plywood box!

Following my wife's diagnosis with cancer and subsequent treatment, we decided to make a start on a project we have thought about for a long while,so there it is.

This is a drawing of what she will look like, eventually.

sucher-1.gif

I'll probably give the wheel a miss, although I am sorely tempted to have it!

If this is the wrong place to post this please feel free to move it. :)

I'll have more pictures on my blog for anyone interested.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Oh No you have gotta have the wheel! :Wow:
It looks fantastic.!
Well done on making a start and best wishes to your wife too.
Cheers , Simon

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Nice looking boat, have thought that the American Shanty Boats were a very pleasant idea if you have the rivers or lakes available. And do keep the wheel.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Joel!

Great project....I hope you have plenty of battery packs for your drills and drivers - I keep a drill and a driver going with two spare packs on charge and a spare fifth one - and its still barely enough.

Bet its bloody cold out there too!

Keep us updated please...a photo blog would be awesome.

Hugs to the missus and Naomi

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats not something you see on here.... impressed. :) Good luck with it mate, really looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you BR. Will do. The drills will certainly work overtime. I drilled dozens of screws holes yesterday, and that was on only one side...I have thought of starting a photo blog, it's just getting around to doing it! It is indeed bloody cold out there, maybe not arctic weather as the weather-men say but cold enough. It's the wind that gets me, the constant noise of flapping plastic gets on my nerves after a while, rattling the tent and damaging the windows, but I got a nice big roll of sticky stuff for repairs!

The wheel would indeed be nice... but would also add another 9 to 10 ft to the mooring costs! Mind you it can always be added later. We'll see, we still might go with it. I'll add more pictures as I get on with the build, but it's likely to be hit and miss at times.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
She looks very pretty from the drawings and what a great thing that will be to do.
Please keep us updated.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
WHAT???? I was thinking maybe a small boat for fishing, this is a ship my friend, and a proper one!! :) Best of luck, hope you show us more!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
A quick update on the boat. First the good news: This is the stage I reached, despite the cold weather. One side of the boat ready to turn over for finishing the outside: doubling of the bottom part of the side, so at the water line the hull will be 36mm thick, plus the fibreglass. Those bits of woods are 50mm thick and 150mm wide (2" x 6") The curve got me worried, I thought the would not bend or snap... but it did bend!

The weather turned too cold again to glue and bend the second side.

Now the bad news. Actually, very bad. I had a heart attack 8 days ago, and spent 4 days in two hospitals... all sorts of tests, angiogram etc. A tons of medication to take at the moment...

I am just lucky to be alive. It was not a bad one. Nonetheless, boat building is now out of the question for the next few weeks at least, regardeless of what the weather is doing.

DSCF5805_zps817ebaa9.jpg

DSCF5808_zps4f05dea0.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry to hear about the heart attack that's really rough and I wish you a speedy recovery. You will be out there swearing at that boat again in no time ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE