Building a Shepherd's Hut

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
Thank you all for your kind words. I must admit, although I'm sure I could do a better job on a second one, I am rather pleased with it. I think we'll use it a lot.

Bizarrely, I'm looking forward to using it in winter :)

As for the colour, I'll give it another coat of dark oak treatment at the end of summer then it should fade over the next couple of years to grey.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Native
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I'll give it another coat of dark oak treatment at the end of summer then it should fade over the next couple of years to grey.
Treatment with iron sulfate causes the surface to get nicely grey in about a year but it works best if there is no previous treatment. It is commonly used in northern Finland on new log cabins to get an old look fast.

Reactions: Redhand Jack

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
Treatment with iron sulfate causes the surface to get nicely grey in about a year but it works best if there is no previous treatment. It is commonly used in northern Finland on new log cabins to get an old look fast.

Thanks, I'm tempted but, to be honest, I'm in no rush - I'll let nature take its course :)

The hut isn't actually visible from any dwelling and there are no public paths through the wood or near it so it's quite well hidden anyway.

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.