Best way to carry kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Not interested in arguing and havent got any Idea whether belt kit is good or bad, or even what it is used for.

However I am interested in how I carry stuff and the problems it causes me.

I dont use belt kit for three reasons;
one, I havent got any,
two, Im built like Mr Blobby and anything tied round my middle just slides off,
three, I practice what I do in towns, parks, waste ground, beaches, private islands, etc... so I need to be covert.

Last year I managed to crash the boat badly and ended up tangled in the ropes under it. My knife was safe in a waterproof daysack, strapped to the thwart in the boat - 4 ft out of reach.....

Next trip i tied it to my lifejacket with paracord and promptly jumped out of the boat and caught it in the ropes and got dragged along a jetty....

Some really good belt pouches might solve my problems if I can get them so they dont come undone if I roll on them, which does happen as I go under the boom or stow sails, etc...

I am interested in using pouches on the straps of my daysack for compass, camera, knife, windometer, cutters, glases, phone, possibly water bottle, etc....
I need ones that arnt going to get me pinged as more of a potential nutcase than already happens.

Ive tried tying stuff on with paracord, but I seem to either lose it or get it trapped and that hampers me.

I also dont like stuff swinging when I end up on my bike.

Because of how I live, I may have to simply grab my kit and my kids kit and bug out without any warning, so all my kit has to be ready to go.

I have recently been considering the multi pocket padded waistcoats as possible webbing/ emergency kit.

Ive sailed with my coat over my life jacket on the last couple of trips to see how feasible it is across the board.

Not sure it can hold the amount of stuff I need without being unwieldy.

Can you get pouches with upright belt loops that would fit on my daysack straps?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Can you get pouches with upright belt loops that would fit on my daysack straps?
MOLLE kit is very flexible, you may find something to suit your need. Not cheap generally.

Problem is if things are not secured properly you will end up with it flapping around which will become irritating and possibly lose the contents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE_(military)

http://www.rvops.co.uk/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&keyword=MOLLE

Also these are pretty useful and good value,

"Snugpak Response Pack"

scroll down just under halfway
http://lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Snugpak.html

HTH

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
No problem,

I have all my emergency kit in my responce pak. FAK, spare batteries, water filter etc. although I don't wear it round my waist very often, it's nice to have the option, it stays in my ruck at the top and is a nice size.

You can also strap it to the outside of your Ruck failry securely.

More on the snugpak responce pak:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20960&highlight=silence+you+snupak

and because it's a bit jangly :
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32220

You can get maxpedition version which are real nice but a bit pricey for me.

http://www.maxpedition.com/

Warning: Hide Credit Card when visiting website below!

http://www.heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/Maxpedition-Bags-and-Wallets/c-1-281-289/

Last edited:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Snugpak Response Pak for me too - it's actually a bum/waist pack which I don't like much (they tend to pull my trousers down which leaves me feeling/looking a right berk!) so I modded it slightly to extend the waist straps. Now I can wear it as a cross body bag with the pack itself diagonally across my back, bandolier stylee.

Oh, and a walt is someone who claims to be, or is trying to give others the impression, that they're something/one they're not. Wearing webbing etc without loads of other mil clobber doesn't even come close. If it works for you, use it!

(If you're sneaking about it the woods in full dpm, issue boots, woolly hat and cammed up hoping that if anyone sees you they'll think you're practising for the Escape & Evasion part of SAS selection - then sorry, but you're fair game! :slap: )
:D

Last edited:

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
(If you're sneaking about it the woods in full dpm, issue boots, woolly hat and cammed up hoping that if anyone sees you they'll think you're practising for the Escape & Evasion part of SAS selection - then sorry, but you're fair game! :slap: )
:D
That explains the funny looks a group of us got one time when we were doing our D of E. We got bored so decided that all 15 of us were going to go on a 2 mile march through Blickling park while wearing full camo gear. It got some funny looks, but sounded great as our step was all in time. Ah, all good fun. A prime example of why never to be bored!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I personally wouldn't classify you as a Walt Rappleby.

I'd say you were an enthusiastic military equipment collector. With a pechant for various types of webbing.

cheers mate, you're a decent bloke! :)

Yup I do collect.
I did have a complete set of ALICE gear with BDU's etc, but never saw it as looking like someone else it was always just a functional thing to me.

you have to remember also that many of us come from a "survivalist" background back in the 80's when buying of DPM's or SAS gear was encouraged by certain magazines Like SWAT and Combat and Survival.

In those magazines use of webbing was encouraged as an answer to carrying survival gear.

yesterday I went out with my webbing on into the local woods, said hello to a few people, one stopped and talked for a while about what wildlife there is around...no one mentioned what I was wearing.

I bet Ray Mears has some webbing tucked away somewhere in the back of a dusty cupboard :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
you have to remember also that many of us come from a "survivalist" background back in the 80's when buying of DPM's or SAS gear was encouraged by certain magazines Like SWAT and Combat and Survival.

Rappleby,

In the 80's we were also encouraged to wear shoulder pads, Legwarmers and use the Sinclair C5 and Zike as a viable method of transport. :)

Wearing an: SAS smock, jungle trousers, a roll pin belt with 'SAS pouches', and having a scrimed up Para Helmet, with a pair of Danners and a proffered LMG mag for your gat was as Ally as.

Times change.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I try not to have too many small items in general. Clutter bugs me as does having lots of possessions. When I'm out overnight I have my rucksack with me, and my junk usually fits in the lid pocket quite nicely. I have two small pouches which came off an old daysack which act as storage for fiddly bits (one is my FAK, the other has cordage, sharpener, spare batteries). If I'm out for the day I have an 18l rucksack which does the trick, although I've found since I got that dancam smock I don't need one a lot of the time as theres so many bloomin' pockets on the thing.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Rappleby,

In the 80's we were also encouraged to wear shoulder pads, Leg-warmers....
oooooh! hello sailor! ;)
I'm starting to worry about you now ;) where's a smiley with a "limp wrist" when you need it ;)

you could have said:
Jacket with sleeves rolled up, stone wash jeans, or Mullet hairstyle

My Dad did consider buying a C5! :lmao:

Wearing an: SAS smock, jungle trousers, a roll pin belt with 'SAS pouches', and having a scrimed up Para Helmet, with a pair of Danners and a proffered LMG mag for your gat was as Ally as.

Times change.

but rmember that was not just "ally", but the best kit available that worked at the time.
(for those not familiar with the term "Ally" http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Ally )
SAS Smock? AKA "Arctic issue windproof" far better, lighter, and more windproof than the 85" kit I was issued (and still favoured by a lot of Bushcrafters!) I have a copy OG version.
Jungle trousers? lighter and quicker drying than the 85"kit I was issued.
Roll-pin belt? The 58" belt was difficult to do up, undo, or adjust in any way! even today you can buy roll-pin belts to fit PLCE!
SAS pouches?(If only I could have got them at the time) better than 58" gear, the SLR/SA80 magazines actually fitted the pouch, and the icing? waterproof lining!
Para helmet? we weren't allowed these, we were issued the Mk.5 steel helmet designed in the 40's!
Danner boots? I was issued Combat high leg....the first version, those crippling ones! :yikes: The Danner was well made a stitched sole (so it could be replaced) and had a Goretex liner...nuff said! I don't know, but I bet they are still rated highly!
LMG mag these were phased out to the SA80, LSW and GPMG, as I joined, so sadly I never got to play with an LMG ;)

indeed times do change......anyone fancy a pint? :)

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
oooooh! hello sailor! ;)
I'm starting to worry about you now ;) where's a smiley with a "limp wrist" when you need it ;)

Caution my CEFO obsessed compadre... If Kn*b is considered offensive language by the moderating team surely such an Un PC and sexual oirentation biased comment is out of bounds also??

you could have said:
Jacket with sleeves rolled up, stone wash jeans, or Mullet hairstyle

These are out of fashion....???? Thanks for the advice... I've wondered why folk have been calling me Don Johnson or Crockett for the past 25 years and this designer stubble has been hell to maintain as has the Ferrari Daytona...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Caution my CEFO obsessed compadre... If Kn*b is considered offensive language by the moderating team surely such an Un PC and sexual oirentation biased comment is out of bounds also??

Rap, edits an outrageously funny comment that quoted a well known phrase made by a "fictitious character" in the early 80's, he also removed the mention a type of alcoholic beverage that might be enjoyed by such a "fictitious Character" because I realise it is wrong and I won't do it any more

(Rap, quietly leaves the funny comments, realising un-PC comments can be offensive to some, and that it isn't really worth it, even if they were funny and only ever meant in jest.

Last edited:

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Hello all. I just got an army surplus Medic Bergen from Becketts. Its great and holds both my kit and my medical kit for the group. I will post some pictures at one point in time. I may get another rucksack in the future, but this will do me for the time being! Only problem is that my sleeping bag is a bit bulky and so takes up a bit more room than I would have liked, I sense another thread on sleeping bags and alternatives soon!

Dec 16, 2007
Wearing an: SAS smock, jungle trousers, a roll pin belt with 'SAS pouches', and having a scrimed up Para Helmet, with a pair of Danners and a proffered LMG mag for your gat was as Ally as./QUOTE]

Oh they were the days. I did the sad thing and got a set of Junglees from Dragon supplies just cause I like the colour. Ally as. Oh the late 80's and a bad case of webbing burn after a CFT comes flooding back.

I like wearing my belt kit when I go for a tab with the wife it has everything I need for a day walk for both of us and I don't get a sweaty back. Just add 1x patrol pack and you can have a nice few nights out. Stick the airbourne bergan on and you can stay for week+.

Easy as mate.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
lets set the record straight.
I am a "bushcrafter" i have no need to look like anyone in particular so I don't.
Not many people use webbing, eccentric, perhaps, but it works for me.
I can't imagine I scare many people looking like this...
2aad7d0d.jpg

Perhaps not the most terrifying image in the world?
9e3c3bbc.jpg

perhaps not the image you were expecting?
it's a fairly normal outfit for me on a walk.
and in the kit I have this:
DSCF2950.jpg

sensible kit, nothing much to interest the local police, or worry pensioners.

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
To answer the OP. I use a fjällräven kånken big.
kankenbig.jpg

Neutral enough to go with me to work. Has a sitting pad inside, large enough for A4 binders, or the minimalistic over-night kit. Around 20 liters, quite light at 350 grams. Totally okay, and silent. The chicks dig it. The artsy vegan alternative indie chicks at least.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
RAPPLEBY2000 do you use that just for a day, or do you use it for an overnight stay as well?

been doing it 20+ years ;) for overnight I add a small 30l daysack with sleeping gear and food.

perhaps wouldn't use it on a family camp-site, but anywhere else, yes.

as many have said it's roughly the same capacity as a 30l bag, just different design, and completely outrageous ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE