Best way to carry kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Yeah I know,
I've retrieved as many as I can from old files.
I had a problems with the laptop, which is now very dead :(

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Ah....see it didn't take long for the Insults!

:sigh: it's just a bunch of useful pouches.....

Yep, for people carrying a full fighting load, not a lot of call for that in the UK Bushcraft scene !

....as for insults' it was an observation based on my opinion

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
I usually use a 25 or 38 ltr backpack, sometimes a shoulder bag when out with the dog. However i have been trialing a new piece of kit for the last couple of weeks, and its proving to be very useful. It has several separate compartments all waterproof and it seems capable of holding an enormous amount of kit, all of it accessible without the need to remove it from my back. i am sure i am the only person with such a wonderful piece of equipment, and i don't expect to ever see another. I have even got a name for it DAN CAM SMOCK!!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have to agree with previous posts..PLCE or similar will make you look like a complete edited for language unless your are genuinely a serving member!
People (especially real servicemen will take one look at you and think " Walt ! " ).
It defo gives the "wanabee" impression and lets face it unless you are carrying a full issue of 5.56mm there's much more appropriate kit out there!
A decent 25 - 40 ltr daysack is much more useful for short trips and people don't tend to smirk and nod at their mates like they do with saddo's trying too hard to give the impression that they are off duty Blades!
Sorry if this offends but its just the opinion gained from wearing the stuff for 22 years!

...EDIT: There's plenty of Mil Kit that is perfect for crafty stuff, Bivi jackets, Bergans, Windproof smocks, Bivi Bags and Gonk Bags to name a few and all available at good value prices but if you don't like the "Walt" label I'd stay away from Assault / COP / LBE Vests, webbing of any type (any more than a water bottle pouch on yer belt and you're on dodgy ground!)
JMHO

Do people really think you are a 'Walt' (I presume you mean Walter Mitty a fictional character many of our members will not be familiar with) wearing army kit when out walking or camping in the woods? You could use your 'Walt' argument for people who wear all the top and expensive equipment when camping in the woods with pals at the weekend; they too can look like real knobs to some folk, wannabe Ray Mears or 'Walt' types, Special Forces packs to carry their cheese and onion sandwiches and a bottle of Tango etc. Wear what you like and don't worry what others think.

Walter Mitty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Rik, I don't have a problem with people using Gucci kit if thats what they want, my opinion was solely re: the use of webbing and is just my PERSONAL opinion nothing more..
Just as a note though you may wish to remove the "Kn**" word from your post, as was rightly pointed out to me earlier tonight this forum has members of all ages and it's not the image we should be portraying of the bushcraft scene in the UK..
For those that were offended by by my earlier use of innapropriate language I apologise without reservation!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik, I don't have a problem with people using Gucci kit if thats what they want, my opinion was solely re: the use of webbing and is just my PERSONAL opinion nothing more..
Just as a note though you may wish to remove the "Kn**" word from your post, as was rightly pointed out to me earlier tonight this forum has members of all ages and it's not the image we should be portraying of the bushcraft scene in the UK..
For those that were offended by by my earlier use of innapropriate language I apologise without reservation!

No, I don't wish to remove the Knobs word, Knobs is not swearing is it? Good grief I hope its not classed as foul language here as its a very mild term to use and whilst I'm all for not using foul language on any forum (unless its via a PM) I'm sure every child here will have heard far 'worse' than knob(s).

I'm no fan of Gucci kit for the sake of it, but I'm mellowing with age and if folk want an £80 shirt and the cost does not impact on their family life and its members then go for it. I don't like to see peer pressure on new guys to buy top kit though, thats when I get a bit hot under the collar so to speak.

Referring to people wearing army kit as 'Walts' could be seen as a tad judgemental though don't you think?

Anyway, its 02:15 and I can't sleep, so I'm off to make tea and toast. :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Referring to people wearing army kit as 'Walts' could be seen as a tad judgemental though don't you think?

Richard,

Walt is a common term use in the UK forces and increasingly on forums associated with serving or ex serving members of the forces for someone pretending to be something they are not specifically in a military context.

You are correct the term comes from the classic film and Novel the Secret life of Walter Mitty.

Walter Mitty has serveral fantasy episodes in the novel two of which involve being in the Military. Although I don't seem to remember if he had a prefered load carrying system.

Walt to me is a term that can be used in a lot of contexts. A flippant jibe to someone wearing military kit for example. To a deep felt resentment to someone wearing medals thay havent earned.

Cheers

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I remember the film well (getting old I guess), and am well aquainted with army slang. Perhaps plain English should be encouraged, after all English may not be the first language for members here, not all have been in the army and most would not have seen a 50 year old film.

forestwalker

Not going into the walt-or-not debate, but I either carry stuff in a shoulder bag (nicknamed Indiana Jones, the "bum-pouch" from an old Swedish army m59 webbing converted to a shoulder bag) or a day-pack. In the latter case often my home-made leather one, sometimes the LK30 if there is more kit to be carried.

In some magazine for hunters here I saw a "webbing" for hunters. All leather, space for the radio, a thermos-shaped pouch and a small bag for sandwitch etc. Basically a pair of suspenders and a belt, with a carbiner for the dog lead on front and some straps for attaching a raincoat. Too dedicated for my taste, but perhaps a usefull idea for the dog handlers who will walk around as opposed to those of us sitting around waiting for the game.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Perhaps plain English should be encouraged, after all English may not be the first language for members here, not all have been in the army and most would not have seen a 50 year old film.

Richard,

You are right plain english is always good. Bushcraft + the outdoors world is full of terms you dont hear in everyday life. Forums are full of all sorts of terms and phrases often unique to specific forums. Such is lifes rich pattern.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I assume I must be a "Walt" :cool:
I don't mind it actually ;) , I've been called worse.

life's too short to be worried with other peoples fashion criteria! ;)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
wow! the webbing scab get a good picking yet again!!!

does it really matter what is used by an individual? i think it's got a stigma attached to it by closed minded people who see it as the province of military peeps only. i'm just curious tho, does this translate to every piece of army issue kit? from a blanket to a landy? or is webbing the specific problem for those that have a dig? just interested, as i collect certain peices of kit, but don't use webbing for bushcraft apart from the odd pouch. but i don't have an issue with those that do. am i a walt? i use a combat jacket/smock?
does the 'walt' notion effect combat jackets? as there has just been a GB for a very specific arktis item on here and i'm sure most were not rambo wanna-be's.

a lot of tax payers money was put into developing a load carrying system that is very good, maybe we should all be given a set at the end of the financial year as we paid for it in the first place!
do football fans who wear their favourite teams colours and watch and support them get called walt types? especially if they participate in sunday league as well!!?? heaven forbid!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
i think it's got a stigma attached to it by closed minded people who see it as the province of military peeps only. i'm just curious tho, does this translate to every piece of army issue kit? from a blanket to a landy? or is webbing the specific problem for those that have a dig?

No, it's just webbing... You can go to Sainsbury's dressed head-to-foot in the full Soldier 95 DPM gear (not that I would - I hate DPM) and nobody bats an eyelid. You even can wear some kind of Maxxpedition tactical belt pack... But God help you if you put a yoke on a set of pouches 'round here. (Out in the real world, nobody either notices or cares.) It's just one of those BCUK things... And it seems that it's only a handful of ex-mob types who have a problem with it, but they tend to assume everybody else agrees with them.

Anyway, it's been done to death already... The thread linked in #54 has got it all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE