Best way to carry kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Hello all. I was wondering what others feel is the best way to carry commonly used and small kit? I know some people prefer to carry this sort of stuff on a army surplus assault vest or PLCE webbing, whereas others prefer to carry a small rucksack (such as a 10l or 20l rucksack). What do you use?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A shoulder bag.

bag-1.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A bit of a mix of shoulder bags or small day sacks for me.

I like to have a brew usually when I'm out for a bimble so I pack a stove, brew kit and water. Maybe a book depending on what I'm out for, or a camera or binos etc.

Sometimes I'd rather take a small day sack so it's out of the way and not bothering me too.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
if you don't like funny looks or abuse i wouldn't use plce or assult vests. they also have the disadvantage of making you look like a wana-be rambo and genrally suspicious.

pete

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
always a rucksack for me...infact an old school one..never an assault vest or PLCE like peter said otherwise you just look a bit odd..atleast with just a rucksack you dont attract any unwanted attention

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I use army webbing, I hardly ever get comments, 3 in 20 years!
I've never been stopped by the police.
I've had some funny looks? which has never bothered me. When I'm out (scaring old ladies :rolleyes: ) I often stop to talk to passers by and it's never a problem, I use it because I find it comfortable and functional.
There are several people on BCUK that use webbing or parts of webbing.
I'm just not head to foot DPM with it, and I don't wear it to the shops, or to nightclubs, just be sensible where you wear it you'll be fine.

I when it comes down to it it's just a different way of carrying it, and it's personal choice.
OK, bring it on.....:pokenest:

This thread will enlighten you to the surprisingly strong views some have against webbing:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41983&highlight=PLCE

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I use a small day sack 30-40L. I'm currently favouring a Camelback Motherlode. It has a huge amount of storage spots for all manner of small kit.

DSCF2580-1.jpg

Not cheap new but not too bad if you find one secondhand...

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
depends what kit you have, if its just something for a day trip why not just get something like a nike or addidas school bag? I have that whenever I go out for 2 days and a night and its fine, get my tarp hammock clothes, folding saw (carry knife on me) food and clothes all in it easily :) think mine is slightly larger than most though addidas make good sized ones I believe

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The very first 'proper outdoor walk' I can remember doing was with School we walked up Sugarloaf I was carrying one of these..

140.jpg

I can remember drinking a can of Quatro at the top.:)

I had fun and didn't die...

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Mountain Warehouse shops have a nice wee 25L sac in olive green.
I picked one up last year cheap.

Haven't been in since though.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Or....A place for everything, and everything in it's place!
Arktisloadout.jpg

comfy well balanced, everything to hand in an instant.
(no, I don't carry that knife anywhere public)

my lighter weight version of the above:
SASescapewebbingjanuary09.png

Go on...be "rock and roll"! :cool:
be a subversive Bushcraft webbing user!!! :lmao:

:rolleyes:....as if it really mattered in the big scheme of things...:rolleyes:

try some if you like it, get some.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE