Best cheese in the world

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cider attracts them too very well. Maybe a tray laid out on the heathland and filled with it may entice them in. It would certainly attract loads of wasp species.

Reactions: PoppyD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’m hoping. In January Emma decided to buy two massive barrels of Old Rosie as it was a cracking price. I don’t really drink cider and neither does she. So it’s taken 8 months to finish the one barrel. And they take up loads of space in the kitchen.

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’m hoping. In January Emma decided to buy two massive barrels of Old Rosie as it was a cracking price. I don’t really drink cider and neither does she. So it’s taken 8 months to finish the one barrel. And they take up loads of space in the kitchen.
I quite like cider and Olde Rosie n that, just sayin :D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
One connection is the odor of alcohol. This implies (for rotten fruit) that there is yeast in the pulp which is fed to the larval insects by the adult colony. The various volatile esters/fruit smells is another big trigger.

I lived in an orchard/vineyard district where the fruit flies, etc, were quite pesticide resistant. Big kitchen mixing bowl, splash of red wine and leave it alone for 48 hrs. That caught most everyone.

Even where I live in the mountains at 53N now, the damn bugs are swimming in everyone's drink.

Keeping a vigilance to keep the wasps and hornets out of drinks (alcoholic or just fruit juices) is a serious task for everyone outdoors. Be careful. A sting in the throat is life-threatening.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These are good things :)
1629750612980.png

They come in multiple sets for a few quid. They do fancy ones too....mine looks like a white lace doily with a pink bow :)
They keep the buggits out of my tea or juice when I'm sitting in the garden. They also keep a cuppasoup warm :)

eBay or Amazon or.....Silicon mug covers or lids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE