Best cheese in the world

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
After all the cheese got eaten the other day I have ordered my own so that one won’t get eaten except by me. I’ll put a label on it. It isn’t really bushcraft food, but it is because you take it on bimbles and eat it there. It is SO the best cheese in the world. Cave aged cheddar from Wookey Hole. I love it.

5DD5D15B-C04D-4FED-8AA5-720B45214F23.jpeg21C7D177-FA41-4C10-8F65-5FEB06F0F8B1.jpeg

The website is really cool. At the bottom of the page it has a live camera. So you can watch all of the cheese. I’ve been watching it to see if they take mine off.

58FBD5B4-1FD6-4A6E-BB1D-34FA4E23979B.png

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
This is one of the most glorious things I've seen all year! You are what you eat and I am Wensleydale.

Reactions: PoppyD

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
You can go on holiday there. We were going to go this week but couldn’t in the end. I didn’t know the cheese cave was there. It’s even called cheddar gorge.

Reactions: oldtimer

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Not yet. Dad has as they filmed Robin of Sherwood there. It was Herne’s cave. I didn’t want to go at first until I found out that was where the cheese comes from. They take you on tours. The cheese tastes like a cave, so if the caves smell like the cheese, it will be great. I have been in a guided tour cave before, but it’s boring as you can’t go and look for stuff and they put footpaths in there which you have to stick to And don’t give you any time to look around. And all the people too talking ruin it By being loud.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The tours are quite good, don't seem to rushed and give loads of info / history. The caves certaily smell of cheese (my daughters hated it but then they are weird!) and they are at the end of the cave tour. I think you would enjoy it, there are paths to follow but is quite open so you can meander and not feel like you are in a conga underground :smile:

• Love
Reactions: PoppyD

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
It was earlier. I hope they don’t sell out before I get mine. It looks like they have loads on the webcam. there were some spaces on the shelves yesterday so they filled them up this morning sometime.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Snowdonia Cheese, thats Mmmmmmm too! - the best bit of the craft show I used to attend with SWMBO was the 'tasting' stand - particularly like their Red Devil and Pickle Power :p

As you say conveniently packaged in individual (if you are a pig of course) wax coverd portions. you can even use the wax to make cheesy candles too to double win! :wink:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Cheese must surely be one of the earliest of trail foods. Along with a hunk of bread it's sustained many a countryman going about his daily work in the woods and fields.

I'm not sure whether or not its a good thing you've found your favourite cheese so young. I'm nearly 80 and I'm still not sure which is my favourite. I've tried a lot but I still have more to go but I spend a lot of time in France where they have hundreds. I'm still enjoying the search.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Snowdonia Cheese, thats Mmmmmmm too! - the best bit of the craft show I used to attend with SWMBO was the 'tasting' stand - particularly like their Red Devil and Pickle Power :p

As you say conveniently packaged in individual (if you are a pig of course) wax coverd portions. you can even use the wax to make cheesy candles too to double win! :wink:
Both fine choices! Green Thunder is a good one too.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, no, NO!

Kerne is the best.

Nutty flavour and a thrilling texture. Yarg is also nice but not quite as good.

Cheese wax is useful, I save mine and if I want to take cheese in the field, cut it to sensible sized blocks and coat in wax. (two coats is best, you may miss a spot and it will go off)

Cool dry place and not refrigerator needed to store then.

Remember, cheese, like chocolate, is to be served at room temperature.

Reactions: Athos

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh yes Poppy, you have good taste. I used to live nearby cheddar gorge, and it was a regular Sunday afternoon trip to stock up on cheeses country wines and fudge.
Loved to visit the caves, and you could even book spelunking expeditions which is exploring properly with a helmet lamp. I think there was a minimum age though. Well worth the adventure! Then there is also Jacobs ladder, a real climb.. watch the biggies get out of breath trying to get to the top! Take it steady, especially on the way down, sprained ankles are common!
Take plenty of parking pennies tell dad.
The open top bus ride is great too.

Wookie hole ,though a proper guided cave tour is amazing. Lots to do there too. It's not that far away from cheddar gorge.
Hope you get there soon.

I did a lot of caving once upon a time at nearby Burrington Coombe. Don't do any caves without proper equipment though. And let someone know exactly which caves you are going into and when you are expecting to be back. Mobile phones don't work underground if help is needed if you get stuck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE