Best cheese in the world

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Aged Canadian cheddar has a sharpness, a tang to it (butyric acids, lactic acids?)
which is unlike other cheeses. Some days, I like that, most days, I'm looking for something else more like butyric.

I am beholden to Monterey Calamari for their 10 legs. Excellent practice for my kids learning to count to 10 as they bit off the legs. A certain method to annoy adjacent restaurant patrons.

Cold, marinated calamari rings in olive oil and wine with herbs is a hot weather treat.

Reactions: Athos and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Anybody in here that favors smoked cheeses?
Me, some of the Bavarian stuff is good. I’m also a huge fan of good pâté.

Have a word with Marc over the road Bri, he knows a great deal about cheese, used to do the Channel Tunnel runs and had a good market for his wares in the UK. He’ll find you a cheese that has more tang then the Canadian cheddar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While I like the concept of EU cheeses, I'm not prepared to pay $50/kg by the time it gets here what with most of that being transportation cost. I'd buy local cheese in a minute, if for no other reason than to support an artisan business.
Meats, eggs and veg in season are easy to find here.

The other problem we face is that the retail grocery stores are typically bound by contract to buy from particular suppliers OR get diddly squat. They can't, even if they want to, support local producers, certified organic or not.

Relatively speaking, we are close to California, Mexico, Central and the west coast of South America. With reversed seasons, common produce is never premium-priced, even in mid winter.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Some mouth watering stuff in here! Seeing as we strayed from the path of dairy with a quick dalliance with calamari. What’s people’s preference for black pudding? Personally I like the Stornoway, but I had a sweet black pudding in Uruguay (morcella dulce I think it’s called?) that was sublime and I can’t find anything close to replicating it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can’t get along with black pudding. I can eat mostly anything. But black pudding and the resinous dried abdomens of tarantulas taste fowl. I like the legs though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the smoked applewood stuff. I know it's a kind of mixed up cheese, but it's tasty.

I really, really like extra mature red cheddar though :)

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have an estonian girlfriend so I´ve spent a lot of time in Estonia. For them the essential christmas dish (like turkey for you or ham in Finland) is blood sausage. Ain´t no proper christmas dinner without it. One way to cook it is to wrap the sausages in bacon strips and fry in oven or pan.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Black pudding and calamari...yuk!
I'll happily stick with cheese.
Odd that nobody has mentioned blue cheeses. Love a bit of good Stilton with decent crackers and some lovely Muscat grapes. A Christmas treat every year.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
I had a Goldfish named Travis once, he was pretty cool. He wasn’t a squid mind.
Goldfish are rubbish. They all die. Mom even lost one down the sink when she was cleaning them out. She sneaked another in but I knew it wasn’t the same one and he had mouldy scales, then she killed him too by putting too hot a water in the tank. Then we got banned from Prestwood pets for being idiots. But that was mom. She kills all things without knowing. I told her Mr Spongy Potato seed would eat all the fish and she said he was too small. Then he Did. She doesn’t know anything.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE