Beginner rifle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't imagine tippy-toeing through the forest and BLAT! the rifle goes off unexpectedly!
On a shoulder carry and no silencer, that puts the muzzle about a foot from my ear.
My Remington hasn't acted up in 35 years, I don't think it will happen tomorrow.

I shot a Unique Vitesse in Olympic-style Rapid Fire, back when the loads were .22cal shorts (I'm old).
If you snugged up the grip screws, loaded a 5 shot clip and closed the slide, you really needed to know where the muzzle was.
BURP! Maxim. Empty.

Ruger Red Label shotguns will discharge both barrels in cold (-15C weather). Poor lead and pure' the bird.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Didn't matter, Janne. This is really scary stuff. The damn guns go off when they want to. Its the XMP trigger group and the safety is tied into it.
Thousands of complaints. Got a pal really close to Remington (parts).
Just that it was all real quiet and nobody said anything for a couple of whistle=blowers, then the crap hit the fan.
Somebody must have got hurt and hit the warpath. Fair enough.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wow. That is a seriously bad design. And testing before production.

I guess people will now start suing them.
I remember that Ruger had to start imprinting that horrible text on the side of the barrels after some fool shot himself.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I read that there's a Class Action suit in the pipe line already.

Sad thing is that the Rem 700 was the most accurate rifle out of the box, on this planet.
Go ahead, prove it for yourself, it is a fact. Has been for decades.

Then they messed with a new trigger group. So, they appear have put the whole prize in the toilet.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......My Remington hasn't acted up in 35 years, I don't think it will happen tomorrow.......

.......Sad thing is that the Rem 700 was the most accurate rifle out of the box, on this planet.
Go ahead, prove it for yourself, it is a fact. Has been for decades.

Then they messed with a new trigger group. So, they appear have put the whole prize in the toilet.

Yeah, I don't think the recall is for all Remingtons of this model; just certain years of production.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's all tied into the XMP trigger group = POS and the paper punchers knew it.
You're right = recent/modern production.
Just wanted to let people know that even Remington doesn't want you to buy a shiny new 700 or a SEVEN.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
NOTE to you all: 2.20.17

Remington Arms is recalling modern Rem 700 and MODEL SEVEN as the XMP trigger mechanism is now well-known to function spontaneously.

Really? Is this old news? This Remington 700 trigger story must have been going on 10 years or more.

US made guns generally come with crappy triggers set for use by a gorilla so that they don't go bang when not required. Adjustment on the Remington 700 is via two screws on the trigger housing. So people adjust them to give a really light, crisp break and of course sometimes they go too far and you can end up with a rifle that will fire if bumped.

Crazy lawsuits follow.

I have found the recall notice.

https://xmprecall.remington.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? Is this old news? This Remington 700 trigger story must have been going on 10 years or more.

US made guns generally come with crappy triggers set for use by a gorilla so that they don't go bang when not required. Adjustment on the Remington 700 is via two screws on the trigger housing. So people adjust them to give a really light, crisp break and of course sometimes they go too far and you can end up with a rifle that will fire if bumped.

Crazy lawsuits follow.

I have found the recall notice.

https://xmprecall.remington.com

Yeah I've been hearing about it for a while but there seems to be a renewed emphasis lately.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Since this thread has to do with Arya's selection of rifles, I thought it most worthwhile for her information to bring it up now, not later.
Noone else did. I'm not so sure that the root cause is DIY gunsmithing.
I've come close to buying CZ on a couple of occassions. Value?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
In the UK at least CZ are at the lower end of cost. That doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality.

I own one in .17 HMR and it's superb.

Hah! Funny that considering I compared them to Skoda and Superb is one of their flagship models.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the UK at least CZ are at the lower end of cost. That doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality.....

That seems to be the case here as well. They're not the least expensive but certainly less than the upper priced brands. Likewise the quality I've seen in their handguns is very good; and I expect that would carry over into their long guns also.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, must have another look at CZ. Shtoguns.

Part of the rifle consideration must the foot-pounds of energy delivered at 200m.
Where you have no bears, maybe it isn't too important.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No idea but mine is!

So they now offer a number of non mag chamberings but I would still rate at least 5 other manufactures ahead of a Weatherby.

K

Now offer? I'm 60 and I can't remember a time when they didn't have standard calibers. Why on earth would a varmint shooter want a magnum to shoot prairie dogs at 400 or more yards?

Mind you, I can't afford a Weatherby and I've only seen their rifles in the shops. I have hunted with a Weatherby shotgun borrowed from a friend and the quality was excellent. Like I said about expecting the quality CZ puts into their handguns to carry into their long guns, I'd likewise expect Weatherby's shotgun quality to carry over into their rifles.

I also imagine there are other manufacturers with better quality though. I'd be interested to hear your 5 suggestions listed?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My only point is Roy Weatherby rifles are cernonumos with his belted and reverse shoulder magnum cartridges.

Haven't a clue why you're asking me about 400 yard Woodchuck sniping with 300WM!

K

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/131967-Ruger-No-1B-Stainless-Laminate-243win

Woodchucks? I never mentioned woodchucks at all. However my point was that the people who are most likely to buy a Weatherby (aside from just for the status symbol) nare those who want long range precision shooting (that would be varmint hunters; small target, long range) None of them would want a magnum caliber but rather a small, flat shooting one such as 223, 222, etc. And no, although they are heavily known for proprietary calibers, Weatherby rifles are far from synonymous with magnum calibers.

Many models aren't even offered with magnum calibers, such as the Vanguard Weatherguard HB

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE