Rifle opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I own quite a few different 22 rifles and have tested a wide variety of different ammo types. My CZ is more consistently precise with different ammo types than any other 22 rifle I own. I just picked up an Anschutz and I'm looking forward this summer to see how it stacks up to the CZ in terms of variation in accuracy from one ammo type to another. Most of my rifles, though, are just as precise or nearly as precise as the CZ with the ammo they seem to prefer.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have a 10-22 which is a semi auto
Lovely little rifle and great fun to shoot
It shoots a raggedy same hole group at 50m
At 100m though, it widens a fair bit to about 6 inches or so. i think that shows the limitations of the semi auto mechanism as opposed to the bolt action
I dare say i could improve things if i put an after market barrel on it but for what i do i'm happy with it

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
I have not enough experience with centerfire to hep you here but my airgun of choice is this .22 beauty by EdGun:

matador_85.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
thats amazing shooting. 200m+ shots on rabbits, downhill.

It was a good piece of marksmanship but outside the effective range for what the HMR is designed for, hence the lack of explosive bullet. I like to shoot my rabbits in the head so the meat isn't spoiled and I doubt I'd walk that far to pick one up. Wish I had somewhere to shoot longer ranges on, mind...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It was a good piece of marksmanship but outside the effective range for what the HMR is designed for, hence the lack of explosive bullet. I like to shoot my rabbits in the head so the meat isn't spoiled and I doubt I'd walk that far to pick one up. Wish I had somewhere to shoot longer ranges on, mind...

I find vmax's lose nearly all expansion after about 100yrds

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd hope he was just demonstrating/showing off as hunting rabbits at these ranges is not ideal especially with that calibre. A larger round would be better but then you're getting more expensive for a low value quarry

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
For the UK, a cz in either 22lr or 17hmr and a light stainless synthetic sporter in .243.

The 3rd gun would be a 12g shotgun.

The .243 is a nice flat round and carrying a heavy rifle wears a little thin after a while. If you need more energy then a 25-06 would be something to consider. Neither of these are suitable for boar though, the HO advise a minimum of .270.

I use a .308, but it's mainly my range gun with the odd deer when I get an invite.

I'm about to apply for a .375 ruger for polar bear protection, I hope to try it on boar at some point.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd hope he was just demonstrating/showing off as hunting rabbits at these ranges is not ideal especially with that calibre.

agreed, it was a cracking shot, but he'd be better off with targets if he wants shoot the best part of 300yrds with a HMR IMHO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE