Rifle opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi guys, I've only shot .22 & .300/303 rifles up to now, but fancy a light, portable, takedown, accurate air rifle, or long-barrel air pistol for small game while hiking - suggestions/advice please?

If you don't have the landowners permission that would qualify as "armed trespass" so do be careful

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Hi Hibrion

I did think of the R8 professional but have no experience of it

Was put off having a straight pull - for no real reason

Have you any experience of them?

J

Love them! along with the Merkel Helix and the Heym SR30.

That said, the 30-06 boltaction Haenel Jäger10 take care of pretty much any situation.
Although I recently borrowed a double rifle in 9,3*74 and I love it on driven hunts on boar because of the quick followup shot.

Along with a severely shortened CZ550 in 8*57 with sling mount on the barreltip for kill-shots when tracking wounded animals.
Useless for anything further than 50m but perfect for the job I use it for.

I use the Geco SP where lead is allowed and the RWS HIT (basically a Barnes TTSX with some shiny coating) when lead isn't allowed of the shots are far (geco has a BC like a brick, the RWS has a BC isn the high 0.5 range so high for hunting ammo).

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
a. 177 air rifle. (Nothing cheaper to shoot for that all-important practice.)
b. 22 rimfire (With moderator)
c. 22 Hornet
d. 6.5X55SM

K

And the conclusion is?

Edson AB has a 1600M range which leads me to thoughts of getting a .338 Lapua: I used to shoot one when it was called the .338- 378 Weatherby. I guess that won't happen because I'll have more fun teaching the kids. My grandson had no problem hitting the middle of a 7"x7" plate at 500M with his new (gramps old silhouette) .308, even with only 12X max hunting scope. Then of course the gusting Alberta wind came up and since the shooting shed is built high to shoot down on the targets for safety, intermediate flags are out of the question..

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I shoot a Remington 700 Police in .308. It's the same as the SPS Varmint but it has a much better stock. It's a fantastic rifle and it's very accurate. I only shoot target, but it has performed brilliantly for me from 50 - 1000 yards, beating much more expensive rifles in competitions.

Nope I have more fun in Edson, and the .308 is more than adequate for 1000 with the target scope and 2oz Jewell trigger which I already have. Fortunately my set-up worked fine for my grand-son. Being a good gramps I didn't just arrive with a gun but with powder, lots of cases and a big box of bullets. I'm really pleased with this year since now that we've covered match loading, he can use my wildcat pistols if I croak before next year when we do wind, bullet casting and other nerd stuff.

Will you got lucky. When I bought my Remingtons way back they were 3/4 minute rifles. It took a lot of money to make them perform. Now if you get a bad rifle it simply may not be fixable.

All depends on purpose. I wouldn't want a bolt gun hunting bore in close cover or a short double rifle hunting munties across a valley.

I don't know. I hunted with a Remington 700 in 270 Winchester for years, and on more than one occasion I made a second shot without being aware of cycling the bolt. Practice makes perfect. It was the only high powered rifle I had so I used it for everything - which was mostly white tailed deer, but still. It's a rock solid rifle in any event, and more accurate than most shooters.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't know. I hunted with a Remington 700 in 270 Winchester for years, and on more than one occasion I made a second shot without being aware of cycling the bolt. Practice makes perfect. It was the only high powered rifle I had so I used it for everything - which was mostly white tailed deer, but still. It's a rock solid rifle in any event, and more accurate than most shooters.

But moa accuracy is not the question when 600 pounds of boar with 4" tusks and murder in its mind breaks cover less than 25 yards away. I shoot mad minute with a bolt gun but its simply not as quick as a double rifle. Right tool for the right job.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

But moa accuracy is not the question when 600 pounds of boar with 4" tusks and murder in its mind breaks cover less than 25 yards away. I shoot mad minute with a bolt gun but its simply not as quick as a double rifle. Right tool for the right job.
Yeah I like something more agile and faster too. But he's right about it becoming instinctive if it's your only gun (your do everything gun) There's an old saying, "Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Nothing wrong with a pump rifle either though if you like. Faster than a bolt, generally more reliable than a semi if that worries you, larger selection of calibers, and it has the same action as many people's shotgun so there's no confusion switching back and forth (it stays instinctive)

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands

One of the reasons the straight-pull designs like the Blaser R8/R93, Merkel Helix and Heym SR30 are so popular in continental europe. The benefits of a boltaction but still bloody fast, and more than 2 rounds.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Good thread, the 3 rifles that i would go for from my present collection are..........

Weirauch 90 .177

jifMYsrpurxpg6ql4I3WvLPaN4I9Z8Sn-QjvnC6paqE

CZ 452 T/H-V in LR flavour, at nearly 130 years old, this iconic cartridge is still, and always will be public enemy No.1 for the rabbit population.

And last, but definitely not least, my heavily tweaked, and irreplaceable Remmy 700 VSSF in 25-06 Cal.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well I shot this morning, at the range, a .22 Ruger 10/22, semi auto club gun, bit rough, but nice enough.

And a fellow next to me was shooting his bolt action CZ 455 .22 with custom thumbhole stock, and scope with moderator.

He went onto to shotting a gold henry rifle, 44 magnum, so lent me his CZ.

Very gentle, and soft.

I liked it a lot. A tad on the heavy side for bunnies maybe?

Put about 120 rounds through them. Good fun.

Another fellow, an older chap, very affable shooting a .22 m1. That was loud. Short, he said, for paratroopers. Looked just like a Garant.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think I might buy the cz452 .22lr if and when i get granted my fac.
I Think that will be my first .22

On the 455 I had a shot of recently the stock was identical to yours silverback.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Just to add my twopence worth .. I use an air arms S410 with variable poundage - upto 18lb dependant on what area's I would cover (mostly for squirrels). For longer ranges I use a a savage .17hmr I chose that over a .22 because of the risk deflection off of stone, the hmr round disintergrates on impact where the .22 has a high risk of bouncing off into the distance. The down side is that even with a mod the savage is a very loud weapon.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Oh how my heart sinks whenever I see a statement suggesting there is little point putting the finest scope you can afford on a 22 rimfire.

Given you're going to use the setup in anger significantly more than any other rifle bar possibly an air gun why would you not wish to watch each bullet strike through Zeiss-clear like optics?

Seems to me it's the same mindset that for many, many years held back the US production of an affordable man-size and super accurate production rimfire as the assertion was - and still is if You Tube is to be believed - 22's are for kids and will therefore look and in many cases handle like a toy.

And don't get me started on scope rings & mounts!

3afe4c62-1661-4d4d-a095-fbdfe420a9d0_zpsnh3gse2g.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE