Rifle opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I have to agree with everyone on the CZ rimfire. I had one a long time ago and have always regretted getting rid of it. I've owned a couple of 10/22 rifles, and while I truly like them, my sense is that for practical applications the bolt gun is the way to go. As for scopes, I've always found Nikons to be in the sweet spot of price and performance.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I saw this photo of a sako quad .22lr, what a beauty eh?

PC260131.jpg

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The S&B 6X42 is a wonderful piece of glass. The only issue you'll have with the 6 power is that parralex is set for 100 yards so targets closer than circa 50 yards will not be in perfect focus. Some will say they don't notice it but I most certainly do.

I would avoid the Germanic post & crosshair arrangement the older version of this scope is often fitted with, as simply not fine enough for good work.

K

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A wonderful piece of glass. The only issue you'll have with the 6 power is that parralex is set for 100 yards so targets closer than circa 50 yards will not be in perfect focus. Some will say they don't notice it but I most certainly do.

I would avoid the Germanic post & crosshair arrangement the older version of this scope is often fitted with, as simply not fine enough for good work.

K

Im not sure what that means K, I swapped one for a very rare expensive alan wood knife.
I belive it has the same reticle as this one: [I think thats the one you meant to avoid isnt it?]

rssbf6427.jpg

They said the same thing to me with their expensive air arms rifles at the hft club, where i just had a x4 power cheap stirling scope, on a standard air arms s400 carbine, with a very similiar reticle. at 40 yards out i had a point of reference, the bottom of the crosshair, where the post gets thicker, it was zeroed at 30 yards. i still matched or beat them....to their surprise with their £800 scopes, to my £20 one....

Al targets were 10 to 40 yards out.

The german snipers only had x4 power in WW2, correct?

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Im not sure what that means K, I swapped one for a very rare expensive alan wood knife.
I belive it has the same reticle as this one: [I think thats the one you meant to avoid isnt it?]

rssbf6427.jpg
That's the one he said avoid. Personally I don't mind duplex and duplex variants I think once you learn to use them they're up to the job.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, I think, my limited experience tells me the more you practise with a scope the less you need mildots. You practise a lot, you learn the parameters of your scope, right?

If not, its good glass, and theres always be a second hand market..

[I realise im arguing the toss with a couple of fellows a lot more experienced than I, btw.....;)]

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No, that's OK albeit there may be a thick and thin version.

I was referring to the post that has no more than a point to aim with. Google "German post crosshairs"

K
Ah those horrendous things they put into the susat? Supposedly ok for man sized targets but they really are dreadful

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh, good. cheers. K and M

So, K, which .22 would you put this on then? Please suggest a couple of better ones. Thanks.

Are there semi autos which are as accurate as the best bolt actions?

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

So, K, which .22 would you put this on then? Please suggest a couple of better ones. Thanks.

I'm not up to speed with semi auto rifles but would imagine you'll struggle to get an off-the-shelf one to compete with the CZ 445 American or Varmint Thumbhole which is my recommendation. Plenty of aftermarket bits for Ruger 10/22 if that look is your thing.

K

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm not up to speed with semi auto rifles but would imagine you'll struggle to get an off-the-shelf one to compete with the CZ 445 American or Varmint Thumbhole which is my recommendation. Plenty of aftermarket bits for Ruger 10/22 if that look is your thing.

K

Ok thanks.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland

Honestly whatever rifle you shoot well with. Remeber though it's very much a case of horses for courses, as red said earlier a short double rifle is perfect for close range boar whereas it's the wrong tool for the job when long range accuracy is the key. Same applies with the same caliber especially when you're talking rimfires. A biathlon rifle is very accurate, but next to useless for hunting.

Accuracy is a funny subject in a way, no a semi auto won't be as accurate as a comparable quality bolt. But your average semi is more accurate then your average shooter. Vice one up and try it. With practice you'll get sub MOA groups out of most modern rifles. If you want hyper accuracy get into 6.5ppc rail rifle shooting! But that's a very expensive hobby :lmao:

fc2e32dc2d2591ec317f60ea5016af5d.jpg
for anyone that's never seen one!

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Enough expensive hobbies Mick ,mate, and cannot afford them any more.
Thanks for your input though.
My thoughts were along the lines of get a .22 shoot some rabbits, for me and the dog, then maybe boar or deer, again to eat.
Im really just after a very accurate .22 first. I'll hav to talk to the owner of the club, as the first .22 i shot kncked the bull out consistently, and loked cheap and old. The 455 , did not perform as well. Is it me, the sight, the setup or the rifle..... lol.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Another question:

Can a rimfire, ever be as consistently as accurate as a centrefire?

In a word yes, the priming compounds are very similar (usually identical and a variation on a mixture of lead styphnate, antimony sulfide, barium nitrate and other assorted nasties) so will give you consistent powder burn rates. .22 target ammunition is made to the same tolerances as centerfire target ammunition (and they're amazingly tight tolerances in even mid level target shooting)
Barrels and actions are the same, you can spend tens of thousands on a rimfire target rifle same as you can on a centerfire. Have you had a crack with an actual target .22 Dave? Diopter sights etc. I favoured them over scoped diceplins for targets found them a joy to shoot with

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
In a word yes, the priming compounds are very similar (usually identical and a variation on a mixture of lead styphnate, antimony sulfide, barium nitrate and other assorted nasties) so will give you consistent powder burn rates. .22 target ammunition is made to the same tolerances as centerfire target ammunition (and they're amazingly tight tolerances in even mid level target shooting)
Barrels and actions are the same, you can spend tens of thousands on a rimfire target rifle same as you can on a centerfire. Have you had a crack with an actual target .22 Dave? Diopter sights etc. I favoured them over scoped diceplins for targets found them a joy to shoot with

As the man says, accuracy only limited my the consistency of ammunition purchased and the rifle's liking for a particular type and batch.

A good Rifleman will know and 'call' the difference between a round lost to a so-called "pulled" shot and that attributable to a variance in the ammunition. Or indeed any other external influence.

Sadly ol' Flicker Tail does not differentiate!

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE