Beginner rifle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I'm going to apply for a rifle this year, and I'm feeling a bit lost in the jungel of different models and brands.
Since it is going to be my first rifle, and I am not loaded with cash, I have to look for something in the more reasonable/economical category.

I would love some recommendations if you have some!

I've been looking at Remington Seven stainless 20 308 WIN, and also Remington 700. They are also in a price range where I don't need to trade my first borne son 😁

Any recommendation is welcomed, except from recommendations on just staying in the kitchen.

It will be used mostly for roe deer, deer, reindeer etc (not moose).

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not knowledgeable about rifles but I know enough to say that things to ask are the likely range/distance over which you will be shooting and that you need to budget for sights. Also, what is your previous shooting experience?

Ammo availability and cost is also a factor.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I'm a beginner with rifle, so I will not be hunting with it before I've got a lot of training first. But I can't practice without one of my own 😊 So I've got to start somewhere.

Range, no more than 100-150m.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Arya, I recommend you look into a US brand called Ruger.
I have used Ruger arms since 1978 and love them.
They are not the best looking guns out there, but very well designed and incredibly strong. Also not too expensive.

I think the best model for you is a Ruger American All Weather.
Composite stock ( quite scratch proof, does not warp like wood), Stainless steel.

All you need to add is a good scope, unless you plan to hunt on extremely short distances.
100-150 meters is range for a scope in my opinion.
Good scopes are expensive, but do not forget that you do not need a Swarovski or Zeiss, cheaper brands will do you fine.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I just checked and Ruger sell the American All Weather with a scope as a package.
I do not know the brand of that one, but Ruger would not sell a bad one.

What is your budget? The Ruger is recommended is a kind of entry level gun.

Another question, do you want a semi automatic or bolt action gun?

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
One of these if you can find one second-hand:

sako_75_varmint_laminated_s.jpg

K

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Sako, tikka, can't go wrong there, i had a Remington 700 SPS with Varmint barrel, excellent gun and extremely accurate but heavy.

What you spend on a firearm, spent at least the same on good mounts and telescopic sights.

Best thing is find a good gun shop and talk with them and handle a few and see which is most comfortable.

I now own a Howa 1500 in 243, japanese weapon based upon a whetherby action and a very competitive price, had it a few years now and I've taken several Deer with it and happily recommend and don't forget a sound moderator (silencer).

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I recall now, I bought a Norwegian or Swedish hunting magazine last year in Bodo airport ( awesome hotdogs but bad coffee!) that did a test between some rifles, and they liked the Finnish Tikka.
It is a budget version of Sako.

Ruger was not in that test.

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
My own experience is all uk based, so may be different in norway, but 308 is probbaly the most common caliber over here, only beaten by 243 maybe. so I would say your first choise would be to see what calbier ammo is readly avalible, I belive 25-06 is also popular in sweden, dont know about norway, (It is nice to know your local gun shop will always have your caliber ammo in stock).

Assuming ammo avalibility is good, I dont think you can go wrong with a 308, it is my main hunting caliber, and with the right bullet weight it will take anything from fox to boar, (it is a bit expencive for bunnies).

You mention remington rifles, I do not have any experience with the seven, but i do have a 700 stainless in 223 with a 26" barrel and it is more acurate than I am, I mean shooting prone it will put bullets through the same hole at 100m, but since I have owned a few sako's the remmi just lacks a bit of finess, it is rugged and clunky.
I dont know about your prices but over here I would be looking a howa, they are a copy of the remmi 700 and a couple hundred cheaper, a mate has one of thses in 243 and that will easily group to 1moa normally better.

Just had a quick look at uk prices, and for about the same price as a remmi you can have a tika T3 and in my opinion this is a far nicer gun.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Remington 700BDL in .30-'06. Widest range of factory ammunition with different bullet weights from 55grain up to 220 grain.
Important if you don't reload and hunt different classes of game. Many say a slightly flatter trajectory than .308. I never compared at the range.
All of the above brands are very good. Ruger, Sako, Tikka. . . Lots of useful suggestions above, too.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wow, thank you all! ☺
I appreciate it a lot!
I will check the prices of your suggestions, but I think I will have to stay within the price range of 1500-1800 GBP, including scope and silencer. Bolt action. I know it is not much, but I will just have to adjust my demands to the reality.
I have no need for a pretty weapon, all I care about is functionality ☺ In fact, it would be positive if it is ugly or looks worn. Then I can get away with giving my boyfriend a much lower price than the real price when he asks 😂

The price depends on how much money I get for one of the horses that will come for sale this summer. She is my piggy bank 😉

bowji john

Silver Trader
Hi Arya

If you are in the process of applying for a fire arms cert then you are probably aware that you have to show justification for the caliber and 'action' that you want

Also

You have to determine if you are applying for target shooting -which means you will have to join a target shooting club(s) that has / have access to a range that permits the caliber you request

If you are applying for a license for shooting fox / rabbit / deer or the catch all phrase AOLQ (any other legal quarry) the you must demonstrate that you have permission to shoot on land that permits that caliber and actually has the quarry that you are after.

Having successfully applied for the caliber, action and quantity of ammo that suits, then look at the rifle

The general rule of thumb is spend more on the 'glass' than the rifle

Most modern rifles are just fine in the 100 to 150 meter range and they will almost certainly be more accurate than most of us shooters

The rest is really just personal choice, price and fashion

The sensible makes have all been mentioned in previous responses

Cheers

john

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Now you've indicated a total package budget figure there are quite a few options!

I would still not rule out second-hand as for every one that has been heavily used & abused there will be three that are in pristine condition.

K

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Sorry - I've just read where you are from so all previous comments are really not much use to you
That is totally ok bowji john 😊
I've already been through the legal process of weapons when I bought my shotgun, and I am a member of a hunting club or society (?) with acess to shooting ranges and education.
I will need to take another test to shoot anything bigger than roe deer, but that day will come in time. First a weapon to practice a lot with, and when I'm good enough, then I will take the test for bigger game 😊

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Now you've indicated a total package budget figure there are quite a few options!

I would still not rule out second-hand as for every one that has been heavily used & abused there will be three that are in pristine condition.

K
I will not rule out second hand weapons. But if I find something interesting second hand, it will probably be in a professional shop that has tested the weapon before selling it ☺

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As you already belong to a shooting club, you have the chance of trying out different guns, and asking for opinions.

One thing you should consider is - will you walk longer distances with it? Shoot standing without support?

What I mean is do you need a lightweight gun with a shorter barrel or is a long and heavy one OK?

A lightweight gun ( thinner barrel) heats up quicker, and so loses accurancy if you plan to use it on the gun range for some serious shooting.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd go for a Tikka T3 or Sako A7 or 85 for where you are. 6.5x55 is very popular in your part of the world for the type of game you'll be hunting, but you'd be well served with a 270 or a 30-06 either. Personally I prefer the 30-06 over the 308 for hunting. All these calibers are flat shooting and perfect for game out in the open. The Tikka is the cheapest and more accurate than most people will ever need.

Avoid Remingtons at all costs, they are too hit and miss with accuracy. I'd also highly recommend Savage rifles - definitely some of the most accurate rifles I've ever used. I couldn't get one over here and so ended up with the Tikka, but fond it just as good.

I love blued steel and walnut, but I guess stainless synthetic is the safer bet for your part of the world.

I'd buy second hand, even the scope. Something like a schmidt and bender 8x56 hungarian will only be about 300 quid second hand and perfect for this type of hunting. If you need to save money, buy the moderator later on. If you can manage the recoil of these rifles without it, I'd prefer to keep the balance in the gun and leave it a little louder - you'll only be taking one shot most of the time.

On a related note, do you have good binoculars yet? I'd spend as much as you can on them and then a good scope and then a good rifle, prioritising them in that order.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE