Beginner rifle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have two sauces I like with venison (=deer), moose and reindeer.
Coffee
Whisky

The small bits and meat off cuts I make very simply, a simple cream and Chantarell sauce.
You can buy the Chantarelles (Kantareller) canned in your COOP. Small cans, yellow label. Around 21 Kroner I think.

Arya, do you eat your wild meat with Lingon? I like the ones that are in the freezer section of the supermarket. Square paper packaging.
Made by Nora I think? They also make frozen Raspberries and Strawberries.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Robson Valley, thank you and yes please! :D I tend to stick my same old game recipies, so new ones are more than welcome!
When I come to think of it, including the sheep I slaughter every year, I just need one deer or half a moose to be completely self sufficient on meat for my closest family...
That's a big goal for me to reach! It might not happen this year, but I'm closing in on it!

Don't forget old fashioned country fried venison steaks:

picudARNg.jpg

The simplest recipe is to use a meat hammer to beat the boneless steaks (preferably the backstrap/tenderloin for venison or a cheaper cut for beef) then season to taste and dredge in seasoned flour. Shallow pan fry on medium heat until one side is done, then turn and fry the other side until done. Alternatively, season the meat BEFORE beating with the meat hammer.

Make gravy with the pan drippings and serve immediately with a green veg (collards or turnip greens are great) and mashed potatoes or white rice to take the gravy.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We call those Schnitzels. Or Escalopes if you like a bit of French.

I think that is one of the best way to cook meat. Or chicken breast. Pork. Turkey breast. Rabbit.
Swiss cheese.

I always make the coating like this:
Coat in flour. (seasoned or not). Then a gently beaten egg. Then Breadcrumbs (or Panko if you are fancy)

In the pan, I use a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil. Medium heat.

Boiled/steamed potatoes and Lingonberry sauce.
Cucumbers, thinly sliced is a sweet and vinegar liquid. Arya knows that one for sure.

So much tasty food you can make once you own a nice rifle!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We call those Schnitzels. Or Escalopes if you like a bit of French....

That's the way the recipe came to the US; originally German immigrants in central Texas. I believe it's only been slightly modified since then.

Most restaurants and some families use the thicker coating you describe. They call the end result "chicken fried steak." My family and most I knew locally in southern Mississippi used the thinner coating I described.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think it was people from Bohemia.
Lots if them in Texas. Apparently there are restaurants there that serve a Schnitsel, Kolacky, and other Czech food as good as in back in (todays) Czech Rep.

It is important to mix butter and oil. Butter for the flavor, but diluted so the proteins do not burn so much.
Medium heat is super important too. Too hot you burn the oil and thus coating, plus the meat turns dry.

I know we are waaay Off Topic, but the Brits can get some ideas for decent cooking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Start a bunch of food threads. Coatings and Batters. Spice & herb mixes. Wierd Condiments.
Kim Jong Un can be the Moderator(!) for the nuke thread. Got recipes for that?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As Kim the Yong One likes Swiss made cheese and expensive Wine ( rumor says SuperTuscans) he is well qualified to moderate a food thread.

I would love to get his wife's Kimchi recipe, mine is lacking... On all those pictures of him surrounded by his General-Admirals, you know they always smile while holding some writing paper and a pen?

Kim is sharing his mothers and wifes receipes. Hence the big smiles all around.

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I have two sauces I like with venison (=deer), moose and reindeer.
Coffee
Whisky

The small bits and meat off cuts I make very simply, a simple cream and Chantarell sauce.
You can buy the Chantarelles (Kantareller) canned in your COOP. Small cans, yellow label. Around 21 Kroner I think.

Arya, do you eat your wild meat with Lingon? I like the ones that are in the freezer section of the supermarket. Square paper packaging.
Made by Nora I think? They also make frozen Raspberries and Strawberries.

Whisky for sause? :lmao: That´s hardcore! I never got used to whiskey, and find that it reminds me of something I would remove paint with.
Come to think of it I actually used a bottle of whisky to start a fire once, when I was hungry, cold, in a really bad mood and having no patience with my kindling. It did the trick.

Yes, I eat wild meat with lingonberry jam :) And as you´ve seen before, even on black pudding...
Lingonberry is almost mandatory when cooking wild meat, either on the side or in the sauce. If I´m out of lingonberry then red currants also do the trick.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Don't forget old fashioned country fried venison steaks:

picudARNg.jpg

The simplest recipe is to use a meat hammer to beat the boneless steaks (preferably the backstrap/tenderloin for venison or a cheaper cut for beef) then season to taste and dredge in seasoned flour. Shallow pan fry on medium heat until one side is done, then turn and fry the other side until done. Alternatively, season the meat BEFORE beating with the meat hammer.

Make gravy with the pan drippings and serve immediately with a green veg (collards or turnip greens are great) and mashed potatoes or white rice to take the gravy.

I´ve never tried fried venison like that! It looks absolutely delicious! In fact I´m starting to get hungry just by looking at it.
How much oil do you use in the pan to get a satisfactory result? It´s not like deep frying, is it?

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Start a bunch of food threads. Coatings and Batters. Spice & herb mixes. Wierd Condiments.
Kim Jong Un can be the Moderator(!) for the nuke thread. Got recipes for that?

I think he is to busy getting gold medals in every sports competition in the world. Such an athlete probably doesn´t have time to be moderator.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Petsonally I want enough oil/butter in the pan to go 1/4 up the meat. As the food cooks the fat is bubbling so 1/2 is done.
Then you turn it and the same happens.
It does not matter what kind of material frying pan.
The important is not to use a high temperature. You want a gentle sizzling.

I rather use to much fat than to little. Wife insisted years ago to use only a few drops in a Teflon coated pan and the end result was a dry schnitzel.

A good Islay malt adds a smokyness to the sauce. The alcohol burns away.

Here in island we can buy Felix Rårörda Lingon. 100 gram jar for US$ 9.
Ridiculous!

I bring the frozen Nora instead.
Cranberries are ok too, when we ran out.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
*drooling*
I guess I´m off for the kitchen now ;)

The weird bit is that his kind of cucumber preparation is very Austrian/Bohemian.
I asked a neibour in Reine wat he would serve with grilled whale with cream sauce, and he told me the cucumber in sweet/vinegar liquid.
With lingonberries of course.

I would love why so many Norwegian foods are so incredibly alike central European ones. I have asked many people, nobody knows. I thought it was the German iccupation, but my very old friends told me those foods were common before the war. Some weird trade links? Hansa?

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
The answers often come from the sea, just like other goods (and disease), but that´s probably a question with more than one answer.
We´ve been sailors for such a long time, and we´ve also had foreign sailors to our own shores. Lots of opportunities to discover new dishes.

I got the cucumber recipe from my mother, but then again she was married to a German with Prussian heritage.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Smoke. I've got PacNW alder-smoked salt which is OK.
The best of the bunch for me is MATIZ, a smoked sea salt from Spain.
A little goes a long way, it's almost greasy in the jar.

Shredding the skins with a fork, sliced cucumber in various vinegars was a treat in our house.
Mix crab, seasonings and cream cheese. Stuff a gutted cucumber and chill. Cut into 2cm lengths.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd be better off to scrape the inside of one of my smoker BBQ.
Take the lid off, turn it over, boil some water in it and freeze the oily gunge as ice cubes.)
I tried Liquid Smoke and the taste is all wrong. Strength has nothing to do with it.

I'll cook in the smoker. I can get just about any temp I like, up to 500F and better.
Junk 2-burner unit and 5 minutes = smoker. I'm running 3 of them these days.
New guts in old shells, as long as the valves turn smoothly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Treat with supper, just last night = Salmon Candy = alder smoked and maple syrup coated salmon cubes.
Nobody is shooting salmon but the runs are on and I'm 800+ miles inland from the mouth of the Fraser.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE