Aussie Swag Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
My project this year (bit late) is to make myself a hooped Aussie swag , but instead of using canvas i got me 5 meter by 1.45 meter of DPM gortex cloth at a cheap price to make it in.
I've got some idea in my mind to start with, so i started to cut out the gortex in to two.

img1673i.jpg

The size: front 76" , bottom 58" , long 84"

img1677x.jpg

Folded in half , thats part of the main bit done

img1678f.jpg

started to work on the front of the hoop.

img1679q.jpg

More to come as i go along with this project

Thank you for looking
All comments welcome.
Cheers Topknot

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll be keeping an eye on this one as I've always fancied giving this a go.

I kept some curved ally poles for this which I salvaged from a burnt fishing bivvy on Loch Long a few years ago.

Mind if I ask where you sourced the gortex ?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, Done a bit more work on the swag . I have turned the main body inside out for the pic's . I've put the outer cover over right side out as pic and the flap inside out. Next job on the swag is to get some fly netting and have this stitched in with a two way zip that runs around the top opening.

img1709.jpg

img1710v.jpg

img1711e.jpg

Cheers Topknot

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
watching with interest as well mate!

I'd be interested in the shops info if you don't mind mate - by pm if you don't feel happy sending 'to the world' ;)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The ingenuity and skill of folk on here never ceases to amaze me.

Topknot you'll save folk a fortune by showing them how to do it - Topnotch!!

Having the dog with me these days, a wee tent is a better option for me, so that the furry "warmer" can be moved to sheild cold spots/draughts etc.

A hooped bivvy, (and I've always wanted one) would be a verrry bad idea on those occassions that the dog "backfires".

I'll be watching this thread with interest, the dog may become a "rug" at some point and your bivvy instructions may well come in handy.

All the best,

Liam

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Had a bit of spare time so i started on the back bit of the swag. The photo shows the back back part of the swag, i have put a small air flow panel in the top which is netted. The main air flow panel as a flap which can be closed in bad weather or rolled up in good weather .

img1714d.jpg

img1713c.jpg

Cheers Topknot

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Looking good, those roll up pannels with mesh are a great idea should be really useful looking forward to next step pics,im on a count down till i get shown how to use my old sewing machine,then i can start some projects ive been planing.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
I can not believe how long this has took to get this far and still a bit to go.

0034b.jpg

0053d.jpg

0063j.jpg

0082ha.jpg

Thank you for looking ,

Cheers Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE