Military Surplus Tents/Bashas/Bivvies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I have a bit of a thing for military surplus and canvas shelters, they're cheap, fun and have more character than more modern tents. So I thought I would share my collection and would love to see and hear about what others have. I've got a British army basha, a couple of British army bivvies, 2 Dutch army hooped bivvies, a Polish Lavvu (it's actually a Hobsons reproduction) and 3 French army F1's (the cotton versions).

I've not actually slept in the Dutch army hooped bivvy yet, but I'm dying to try it out.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I have a bit of a thing for military surplus and canvas shelters, they're cheap, fun and have more character than more modern tents. So I thought I would share my collection and would love to see and hear about what others have. I've got a British army basha, a couple of British army bivvies, 2 Dutch army hooped bivvies, a Polish Lavvu (it's actually a Hobsons reproduction) and 3 French army F1's (the cotton versions).

I've not actually slept in the Dutch army hooped bivvy yet, but I'm dying to try it out.

View attachment 84960

I love them as well camp.JPGThis is mine. Its British Army ten man arctic bell tent. Ive lived in it for the last three years. It has been amazing and continues to keep me dry and warm.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Your tents look good also. I like that some of the surplus is not expensive. Mine was £500.00 brand new, un-issued. I got it about 5 year ago. You can still get em for not much more today. The place is anchor supplies in Nottingham but occasionally they come up on ebay cheaper x
A lot of this military surplus gear is shooting up in price. The price of Polish Lavvus have gone crazy this past couple of years.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
That is quite impressive. Look

Perhaps all the survival type things are now more sought after because of all the uncertainty in the world. I laughed when the guy at a survival gear shop told me he used to sell 3 crossbows a week and when the pandemic happened he said that went up to 70 a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan00001

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
A lot of this military surplus gear is shooting up in price. The price of Polish Lavvus have gone crazy this past couple of years.

Same for medical supplies, I think a lot of it is going to Ukraine.

Plus cost of living, so people are buying functional and cheaper pre-owned things rather than the brand new fancy stuff, perhaps.

Gone are the days when you could get a full set of good quality Goretex for £20.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com

The British army bivi and the Dutch army hooped bivi's are the only two bivi bags to own in my humble opinion, both awesome bits of kit and have done me proud over the last few years.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
The British army bivi and the Dutch army hooped bivi's are the only two bivi bags to own in my humble opinion, both awesome bits of kit and have done me proud over the last few years.
I agree, the extra weight is worth it for the extra ruggedness, for me.

I've actually just seen a Dutch army hooped bivvy on Facebook marketplace for £35 in Southampton. Just a heads up for anyone in that area. £35 is a bargain.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Same for medical supplies, I think a lot of it is going to Ukraine.

Plus cost of living, so people are buying functional and cheaper pre-owned things rather than the brand new fancy stuff, perhaps.

Gone are the days when you could get a full set of good quality Goretex for £20.
Yes, a lot of surplus is, or at least has been going to Ukraine. I also think camping/bushcraft/the outdoors has gained some popularity over the past few years.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I like being able to just use half of the Polish shelter, if it starts raining or the weather gets nasty I can always use the fjellduken to cover the front for more protection. Something about canvas feels right when it comes to taking cover.IMG_5960.jpeg

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
This reminds me, I really need to get that midge net attached to the Dutch bivvy bags. :)

Love the basha sheet as well. So versatile, packs up quite small yet is plenty sturdy enough for even quite blustery nights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE