Canvas project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
This is the first project I've done using canvas. It's not quite finished as I still need to add the d-rings for the strap.
I've seen some exceptional work on here by some very talented people, so any feedback would be most welcome.

It was made primarily to try and wrap my head around some of the basic techniques and principles of working with canvas.
It's also the first time I've used a sewing machine, so it has also served in giving me a (very basic) understanding how to set up and use one. The stitching is pretty ropey in places, but I'm hoping that's just a matter of practise.

It's got three different styles of pocket, a few simple flat ones, two darted corner pockets on the inside and couple of 'concertina' pockets either side of the buckle. The hardest part was stitching around the bottom corners of the bag where the base continues to become the sides.

Made with 16oz canvas and V69 polyester thread.

I have a new found respect for people who are able to make sewing look so easy.

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Thanks guys, really appreciate that coming from a talented pool of makers.
Hoping to make a rucksack at some point, though after making this, I realise how complicated a rucksack would be.

I used my partner's treadle Singer sewing machine, which is an amazing thing of beauty.... but quite hard to stop at the end of a line!

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Oh, I do so hope that's a lot of exaggeration or I may have to do the decent thing and fall on the pointiest bit of my mother's old Janome to put an end to my - and its - misery.

Or to put it another way: proper job and you may have found your métier. :35:
Cheers, buddy.

The leather stitching isn't too bad, but I do that by hand. The photos don't show it too well, but the fabric (machine sewing) is a bit off in places. Really struggled to line the edging fabric up evenly, so the stitching runs a bit wild in places. Hoping you just get the feel of it with time and practise.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Great job! Well done.
Even a treadle is too quick for me. I don’t sew often and can only chug along with my hand cranked 1935 Singer.

You have the right to be proud of that piece.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Mine’s called Pearl and when I get hot under the collar sewing heavy canvas or leather she’s more of a punch than a needle!

Edited to add:
It took me a while to realise that changing the needle to suit the material wasn’t just superstition or folklore!

Reactions: William_Montgomery

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE