Armchair Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Another change I have noticed over time is that I remember a time on this forum that a subject like this would have created a lively debate, a flurry of postings.

Those days seem to have gone...

Over 200 people have opened this post, but only four have bothered to make any kind of response. That seems to be the level of interaction that I see on most posts now. No wonder people cannot be bothered to create and post up interesting content any more.

I think back to the days that I came to this site looking for inspiration, it was the first tab I checked, every day, on my browser when it opened up. I used to see postings on every outdoor subject I could imagine and some indoor as well. Now I just see adverts for knives. It is usually the last Tab I check now. It's very sad.

Every now and again I think "I can't really grumble if I'm not posting stuff up myself", so I try my best to write something interesting or post some pictures of my latest project but it usually falls as flat as this one has.

I've made some wonderful friends through this site over the years and I'm not going to give up on it yet, but mostly I find myself talking to those friends on other social media where I get more feedback.

BCUK is however is still a fantastic information resource, the search facility is far superior to anything on FaceBook or the like. Don't let it wither on the vine, it's future is in your hands.
i have to admit i am guilty of not interacting so much of late, not really browsing so much.partly due to another time consuming project and partly as i used to log on in my break at work and the it stasi had blocked access to the old forum.now i just jumped on to see how old acquaintances were holding up and adapting to covid being a resourceful bunch...anyway first post is yours and a window into something new:- steam tenting! i was aware of steam punk and liked the look my lads attended a couple of steam punk themed weddings a while back but i thought it was more for the younger generation. now i see i have missed a trick. i picked up a seemingly unused unwanted canvas tent ( blacks of greenock patrol tent ?a "nijer" for a pittance from a local scout group who have moved to lightweight 2 man tents.a couple of years back. i got back into canvas when i got a polish lavvu, i have a portable woodbuner stove and have the means to exit the flue safely, and a couple of extras like a fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide alarm.also camp beds lanterns tripod and cast ironware. now all i need is a suitable outfit and freedom to roam.any pointers to guide me into exploring this further? i note your photography is as excellent as ever.should you not have a plate camera in mahogany and brass to complement your setup? my late new years resolution... i will try to log on and post more often. good to see the stalwharts of the forum like toddy et al are all still here.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have a nice wooden tripod but my plate camera is quite modern and digital is a lot easier to get results from.

We're obviously locked down at the moment but we normally meet up in the Midlands. I can't remember where you are based and the forum doesn't seem to tell us anymore.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Bargeware1.jpg

I used the same sort of stuff the protect the bargeware I did a while back.

Is that cabinet at the back of the table, the IKEA one with the reversed drawers? I seem to recall reading about that in a different thread somewhere or on a different site even maybe?

I have just read this thread through from the beginning and feel a little guilty at having been a 'member' of the site for so long but more of a lurker than contributor. I have learned a huge amount from this site but I am a passive learner rather than active contributor.

I guess that's mostly because I rate my skill/knowledge levels way below a) what I'd like them to be and b) that of other long-standing members.

I could participate more but my participation would be more along the lines of asking questions, seeking advice/guidance, looking for recommendations rather than me actually contributing in a way that might be helpful to other people.

I would worry that a constant flow of questions could become tiresome to those always providing the answers and so I - and maybe others - don't post as often as we could and so the vicious circle continues.

We,ve just sold our caravan - with the intention (in our mid 60s) of getting out more often and camping next year (if and when the virus gets sufficiently suppressed), so I will certainly keep coming back to the site to continue learning and I will try to contribute more in sensible ways.

Thank you everyone,
David

Reactions: Wayland and Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think the reason the forum has gone quieter is that we are all stuck at home and not getting out so much. I know that's true for me. Im not getting out and having adventures so I'm not posting as I don't have a lot to talk about. I'm sure you would all be bored to death if I posted that I'd knitted another pair of socks! But I think I have enough for the rest of my life now if I live to be ninety!
Untill July I was keeping busy but having suffered a bout of ill health and a broken foot since then I've been out of action and missed most of the good weather . I don't cope with cold and wet so that's me done till next spring.
I wish I had your amazing skills Wayland. Everything looks so professional where as my stuff has a definite "home made by a beginner" look!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
When younger I used to run a lot of "what if" scenarios in my mind, mostly as real as possible ( ;) ). I remember at least one time when that payed off, I dug up the pre-thought solution and put it into practice, fortunately it actually worked. Oh yes, it involved trekking.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I have become that most ridiculed of beasts, an armchair bushcrafter...

No. You have simply evolved into a homesteader, with a comfy chair.
Though the reasons we wander are many, deep down are we not looking for that place we feel at home?
How many here dream of owning a woodland and building a cabin. No. There is no shame in being an armchair bushcrafter, you've earned it.

Besides as Mors Kochanski pointed out in one of his talks, two-thirds of bushcraft involves hitting the books and assimilating the knowledge that has taken centuries to obtain. So to reach the next level you need someplace dry, cosy, with space to think & who knows create.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Is that cabinet at the back of the table, the IKEA one with the reversed drawers? I seem to recall reading about that in a different thread somewhere or on a different site even maybe?

I have just read this thread through from the beginning and feel a little guilty at having been a 'member' of the site for so long but more of a lurker than contributor. I have learned a huge amount from this site but I am a passive learner rather than active contributor.

I guess that's mostly because I rate my skill/knowledge levels way below a) what I'd like them to be and b) that of other long-standing members.

I could participate more but my participation would be more along the lines of asking questions, seeking advice/guidance, looking for recommendations rather than me actually contributing in a way that might be helpful to other people.

I would worry that a constant flow of questions could become tiresome to those always providing the answers and so I - and maybe others - don't post as often as we could and so the vicious circle continues.

We,ve just sold our caravan - with the intention (in our mid 60s) of getting out more often and camping next year (if and when the virus gets sufficiently suppressed), so I will certainly keep coming back to the site to continue learning and I will try to contribute more in sensible ways.

Thank you everyone,
David

I run out out of new things to post up so it's nice when someone asks a question and it bumps older posts up for newer members to see so it's all good.

Yes, indeed, the chuck box on the table in the Baker tent is the one I built around an Ikea drawer unit.

It's a standard fixture on my larger base camps now.

No. You have simply evolved into a homesteader, with a comfy chair.
Though the reasons we wander are many, deep down are we not looking for that place we feel at home?
How many here dream of owning a woodland and building a cabin. No. There is no shame in being an armchair bushcrafter, you've earned it.

Besides as Mors Kochanski pointed out in one of his talks, two-thirds of bushcraft involves hitting the books and assimilating the knowledge that has taken centuries to obtain. So to reach the next level you need someplace dry, cosy, with space to think & who knows create.

I still enjoy the temporary nature of camping but I do like to take my creature comforts with me now where it is convenient.

Reactions: adriatikfan

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I run out out of new things to post up so it's nice when someone asks a question and it bumps older posts up for newer members to see so it's all good.

Yes, indeed, the chuck box on the table in the Baker tent is the one I built around an Ikea drawer unit.

It's a standard fixture on my larger base camps now.

I still enjoy the temporary nature of camping but I do like to take my creature comforts with me now where it is convenient.

Thankyou for replying and confirming that. That's something I'd like to try to replicate (if I ever get to Ikea again in the next couple of years!!) - I'll hunt down the post with the details in.

Having a comfortable base-camp is very much the way ahead for us in the enxt few years - now if only I could work out how to get a baker tent into a normal-sized family estate car. :O_O:

Many thanks!
David

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've just re-read what I wrote in p.ost #2 more than a year ago. I still believe that.
Later that month, I was physically repaired with very welcome results.
I live in the edge of the wilderness with deer on the streets and the occasional autumn black bear.
I gave away my big 9' x 12' Woods canvas family tent. I've kept my Coleman lantern and stove.

Now, it's day-trips up the back logging roads with some grand victuals for a hot lunch.
Full tank of furnace oil yesterday. The grape pickers have come and gone.
Laid my hands on all my favorite/comfortable winter clothes.
Got a new Carhartt coat for last winter after being accused of dressing like the homeless.

Got up this morning to wet snow falling. Expect a lot more not much higher than my place.
Grouse? If anything has changed, I don't enjoy hunting alone any more.
It's become a social occasion that's just been snuffed out.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As I start preparing for the Bushmoot this year I bumped into this post again.

At the Moot I will just be using the Baker Tent this time because the corner that I was in last time is sadly no longer available but I hope to be sharing a comfortable camp with Steve ( Mesquite ).

We also hope to run the same kind of informal "Craft Jam" that we had going on last time. Hope to see some of you there.

Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE