A simple Chuck Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Chuck-Box-I.jpg

Most of my camp kit is fairly organised now but there are still a couple of loose bags that carry stuff which gets used at Steam Tent events but also at Bushcraft type camps or even just at festivals.

I decided it was time to give it all a better home and build a proper Chuck Box.

Starting with a simple drawer set from Ikea, I've reversed the drawers and added oak knobs, that look a bit more old fashioned, stained and waxed it to colour it down and this formed the core of the box.

Chuck-Box-II.jpg

I constructed the main carcass with 9mm hardwood ply, simply fixed with brass screws. Not the strongest form of construction but I added some reinforcement later.

I sized the compartments around some items that would be stored and transported in the box which you can see here.

Chuck-Box-III.jpg

Staining and waxing the plywood brought it to a pretty good match with the drawer unit. You can see the unwaxed colour on the front flap here which will be waxed later.

Chuck-Box-IV.jpg

Almost finished now. Brassed up with some reinforcement straps and the handles. Labelled up too.

Just waiting for a hinge for the front flap which is late arriving.

The chain for the flap is already in stock and I'll knock up a catch for it when I see how it fits.

For the time being I'm going to use it as a table top box. I may add legs later so that it can free stand at some point but I want to try it out first.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Nice work. I've got some of those Ikea drawers on my desk and don't like the bare look of them so I might do something similar. I'm also embarassed that I didn't think of something as simple as turning the drawers around to get rid of the front cutouts :rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That looks awesome, great work! Good idea to use some cheapo drawers in there, might steal that idea for some future car camping kitchen build

You are welcome. I saw the idea somewhere else so I pinched it too.

I had the same thought when I first saw it DaveO, sometimes we all just need to think outside the box.

Can't remember where it was I saw it though now. I constantly collect ideas in my head that rattle round until they fall out in the right place.

Reactions: Totumpole

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That is very kind of you to say Broch.

I just tend to post things up because it's what I'm doing and I often work in isolation. It's nice to get some feedback from other people.

When I look back, I realise nobody thought I would make much of my life. I seemed lazy and never interested in the right kind of things.

Now, it seems that the things that interest me also seem to interest other people as well, not necessarily the people around me but the people here and more widely scattered across the Internet.

I still seem a bit odd to my neighbours but they mostly ignore me and I don't bother them. Like Walter Chrysler's lazy worker, I've made a career out of doing things the easy way. My attention for detail arises from my slightly obsessive nature too.

Put simply, these are the things I was always told were wrong with me so it often surprises me when someone says it inspires them.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I still seem a bit odd to my neighbours but they mostly ignore me and I don't bother them. Like Walter Chrysler's lazy worker, I've made a career out of doing things the easy way. My attention for detail arises from my slightly obsessive nature too.

Yep, I was (am still) never considered 'normal', what all 'normal' people don't realise is that they are all on the same spectrum of weirdness as we are - just in a different place on it :)

I find it fascinating that the human mind covers such a spectrum and that people that were classified as odd (and even insane at one time) can be extremely creative and productive in their way. It's unfortunate that most people exist in the 'boring' part of the spectrum really :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Chuck-Box-V.jpg

The hinge finally arrived, one of these cases where it was supposed to be in stock but was actually ordered in I expect.

Fitted the chains and waxed up the front flap.

Not entirely happy with the flap catches but they will serve until I can make or source something better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE