Nessmuk - George Washington Sears YouTube series.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Marbles used to do one and HH had them. But it seems they no longer do that. So it would have to be a direct buy from the US.

View attachment 105197

EDIT: I’ve just gone back through some old posts on the subject and people say the Marbles axe was crap.
To me, the best thing about a small hatchet is that you can drive it a bit into a thicker log, then drive it fully in by whacking its flat back with a smaller log. A double-edged axe does away with that, and to me it is just a gimmick. That said, I am curious to hear opinions on that!
 
To me, the best thing about a small hatchet is that you can drive it a bit into a thicker log, then drive it fully in by whacking its flat back with a smaller log. A double-edged axe does away with that, and to me it is just a gimmick. That said, I am curious to hear opinions on that!

You can still do that, if you must, with a double bit axe, but just make sure you're hitting it with the batton 'cross grain'. Or, if the log you're splitting is 'wedged' onto the axe, just lift the axe and log and bring it back down.
 
You can still do that, if you must, with a double bit axe, but just make sure you're hitting it with the batton 'cross grain'. Or, if the log you're splitting is 'wedged' onto the axe, just lift the axe and log and bring it back down.

Yeah I don’t think it’s that much a problem. Another option is to swing the double bit into a log so it’s fixed, then place your work on the upward facing edge and use your baton to drive your log down into the axe.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Broch
my instinct would favour one of those hatchets with a proper hammer poll...or a refined variant of them.
 
my instinct would favour one of those hatchets with a proper hammer poll...or a refined variant of them.
I agree. I've never been comfortable with double bit axes - there is too much of a 'weapon' feel to them. Gransfors make a Hunters axe; I'm sure I'd be much happier - and safer - with that!
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE